Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones On Cassette
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 17, 2006 22:43

At this point I have gotten many Stones albums numerous times. I inherited many records, purchased many Stones cassettes when I was a kid since this was the main way music was sold in the 80s. And then I got everything on cd, not even mentioning re-issues of stuff. So I am trying to get my shit together and am wondering if I should jsut throw out my old Stones tapes or if there is any point in keeping them. I have them all on cd now so I am not sure if there is any point keeping them.

Re: Stones On Cassette
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 17, 2006 22:46

Put them in a time capsule and give them to your grandkids in 20 years.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 17, 2006 22:47

Or you can always Send It To Me... winking smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 17, 2006 22:50

Sure...keep'em for your car cassette player. Or for the boombox in the garage. Give'em for Tick or Treat. Unravel them and decorate your Christmas tree. Or....give'em to a neighborhood kid to introduce them to real rock & roll.
Actually that might be interesting...give them one album/tape per week...and
watch how he/she gets hooked. Remember in the movie Almost Famous when the older sister leaves all of her records for her little brother?

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: October 17, 2006 22:58

[www.sendspace.com]

1981-stilllifecassettecover.jpg

[www.sendspace.com]

1981-stilllifecassettecover-a.jpg

there nice too look at..or use them (the cover to selfmade boot))

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 17, 2006 22:59

It's memorabillia, why not keep it? I never listen to my vinyl stones anymore (all the official stuff thru Flashpoint) to avoid wear and tear on it and because its easier to play the digital versions, but I'll never give it up.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 17, 2006 23:08

Yeah, I guess it doesn't hurt to hang on to them, and I have a few compilations that I don't have on CD like Story of the Stones and a few others. Although many of the tapes have quite a few miles on them and are sort of beat up, they were what I listened to while I was getting hooked on the Stones as a kid.

Anyone want my old Dead, Doors, Doobie Bros. greatest hits among other classic rock tapes.

Date: October 17, 2006 23:58

made a new tape use a blank tape,,and record from your cd´s and then ,,you can play them,,,

Posted by: Sugar Brown ()
Date: October 18, 2006 01:42

tape sound is gold
like vinyl, the truth sound
never found this sound on cd
Friendly advice, keep it!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 18, 2006 01:49

I don't know, tapes tend to rot, I've got some tapes from the 60s and 70s, and they're pretty unlistenable.

Date: October 18, 2006 01:55

yes i had a lot of cassettes too,,,most boots..

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: October 18, 2006 02:30

tapes suck..burn them. no one will ever want them

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 18, 2006 03:28

Tapes suck, it's true, yet, I still treasure my cassestte of Hot Rocks. It was the year 1998 (yes, well into the CD age I know!) yet I did'nt get a CD player 'till I was 16 the following year. It's still in a box amoungst various other Stones goodies of mine and it'll never leave my possession.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 18, 2006 06:36

That is a good question. Thing about tapes is that they don't last. I made a point way back to transfer whatever I did have that was only on tape onto disc for longevity sake.
But just today I was rwading about several new Tape-Only labels putting out music. their selling point is "After vynil only tape sounds good"

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2006 06:44

I have hundreds of official and home-made tapes on cassette.
They are all priceless to me, so I say keep them.

I have a cassette I taped off the radio the day after John Lennon died.
News reports, Beatles songs, etc. it's a time capsule in itself.

Quality-wise, they all sound great, except for the ones that were exposed to severe weather.
Many of my old cassettes "melted" in my car in the hot Southern California sun.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 18, 2006 06:50

i will take them!! in fact, i will buy them!

i only have a cassette deck in my car and i rarely listen to the stones at home on my stereo because my b'friend has different taste in music. i only have a few stones albums on tape and so i listen to the same ones over and over and over and over and over

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 18, 2006 07:07

Doesn't the 8 track Some Girls have an alternate Miss You (and/or Beast?) Might want to check Nico's website before chucking old tapes or casettes...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 18, 2006 12:14

Hound Dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At this point I have gotten many Stones albums
> numerous times. I inherited many records,
> purchased many Stones cassettes when I was a kid
> since this was the main way music was sold in the
> 80s. And then I got everything on cd, not even
> mentioning re-issues of stuff. So I am trying to
> get my shit together and am wondering if I should
> jsut throw out my old Stones tapes or if there is
> any point in keeping them. I have them all on cd
> now so I am not sure if there is any point keeping
> them.

Don't throw them away Dale. Give them to me. :-D

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 18, 2006 12:22

I will hold on to my tapes..I got so many!I play them in my car...and the tapes I recorded at Stones shows how can I ever throw them away!Very rare stuff...have to put it on cd really...makes you think...when you die they throw that away..I make sure some on''Tell Me''gets my stuff(but I dont wanna die!).

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 18, 2006 16:03

x

beelyboy...Think About it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 06:12 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 18, 2006 16:23

I even recorded Amsterdam on tape...2006!!!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 17:32

For what it's worth, I still have my stones tapes - though not many of them because I didn't get into them until age 13 in '89, but I kept them because the ones I had - SW, Flashpoint, IORNR - were all issued on Rolling Stones Records, which the band no longer uses, and that alone makes them worth keeping in my opinion. I also still have my cassette boxset of the London Years because of the honking booklet that has never been delivered in any other format with the reissues of this same set....

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 18, 2006 17:33

as for most of the rest of my tapes, I'm in the process of buying all the cds to replace them so I don't have to worry about them ever wearing out because they do do that after a while, and there is nothing more annoying than that. I still have a couple of others - a few MCCartney and all the Nirvana on tape.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1620
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home