Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any good scalper stories?
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 16, 2006 01:03

In '89 I bought tickets from a scalper for $75(21st row center). He advertised in the newspaper and had you go to his house. When I got there a giant doberman was in the yard. I had to call him to put the dog away(good scare tactic). When I went in and he realized I was not a cop he showed me the goods. He had a stack of tickets a foot high for every show coming to the area. He said he was sitting next to me at the show. Well, when me and my buddy got to the show, my buddy walked down the row first. The scalper looked at him and immediately shouted obsenities at him. " I didn't sell you these tickets what the f**k!". After a few long seconds he saw me and all was forgiven. Had a great time with my scalper. Never did go that route again.

Re: Any good scalper stories?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 16, 2006 01:34

vot did you too the ppoor man?

I vill come avter yooooooooooooooo

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 16, 2006 01:55

I paid $85 for approx. those same seats in '89 through a broker.

For the first NS show in Washington, D.C., my friend & I scored great seats (3rd row off the floor, right by Ronnie on the B-stage) for half price from scalpers about 20 minutes before showtime. They were $300 or $350 face value for the pair (I think - how much were the expensive NS tickets?) & I think the scalpers just wanted to get rid of their tickets and go home because it was about 15F outside that night.

The best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) was outside MSG before the 2nd of the 3 Jan. '98 shows. I'd bought tickets for the first show, but for the second, I had no tickets, no money, and no clue. I'm walking back and forth on the 8th Ave. side of MSG right before showtime basically getting laughed at by, as Borat would say, "the scalpers with the chocolate face" when some fat, sleazy white guy waved me over and asked me how much I could pay. I said $25 (had $40 to my name - was new to NYC and had yet to find a job) and was expecting to live out the lyrics to When The Whip Comes Down when he said - "OK - $25". Except I only had two twenties. So I apologized and offered either $20 or $40 and he gave me the ticket and told me to hold on to my money. I'm thinking "Wow - this is my 'miracle' moment - what a nice guy" until he tells me, as I'm putting the ticket into my wallet, that he was "glad to help a fellow white man out from being taken advantage of by the (n-bombs)."

I thought to myself how weird it was that some racist white dude was "saving" me from being ripped off by black guys so that I could see a bunch of other white guys inside playing black music.

At least I didn't pay the a-hole any money for it, though.

Lightning didn't strike twice, however - I got shut out of the 1/17/98 show the next night. I also got ripped off for $100 on a fake ticket outside MSG, Sept. '02. But a cop (who was friends with a friend of mine) did sneak me & our mutual friend in to the HBO show in '03, which was pretty damn awesome. I also got 1/18/06 tickets about two hours before showtime from Stub Hub with only a $30-$35 above face mark-up, which is probably cheaper than Ticketmaster now that I think about it.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: October 16, 2006 02:31

During the Steel Wheels Tour, I took a friend that had never been to a big concert. We were looking for tickets in the parking lot, and a guy inbetween the cars did a "pisst,pisst- come here". A bit shady- but I'm was to dumb to be scared.

We bought the two tickets for less than face value (I'm guessing $30), and all we knew it was on the field.

We went into the concert, and we kept walking up closer and closer to the stage. My heart keeped on beating faster and faster. Well, we ended up with 10th row center. Needless to say, my friend still talks about the concert he went to this very day!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2006 02:41

ROCKMAN

Date: October 16, 2006 02:53

ouch! Rockman he get em scalpemed!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2006 03:00

Ouch Yeah JJ!! and Ole Bob here sure would have a
damn good story to tell to tell his grand children..........Close Um Cut..!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: October 16, 2006 05:20

Anyone get a good deal from a scalper? any ripoffs?! Any 70's scalper stories? Club gig scalpers? Come on share with the class!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 16, 2006 05:39

$45 for front row ronnie side...dodger stadium 97'.

Date: October 16, 2006 06:03

sdstonesguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $45 for front row ronnie side...dodger stadium
> 97'.

Wow! My old enemy comes up with a tall tale!

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: October 16, 2006 10:19

i bought in the summer of 2002 2 tix via ebay for the wiltern theater in L.a.
i know it was a very silly from me to pay usd 2000.- for both, but i wanted to see this show in any case.
we made this california trip from austria,europe. what should i say, i never got my tix from this person, contact was lost shortly before the gig.
our luck was, that we have been very early at the venue, so we got in via hope-line. claudia was number 6 and me number 7, so at least we paid usd 100.- !!!! of course i cried of luck.

back at home in austria, i told the creditcard company my story and after much writing and waiting, i got my money back in march 03 !!!

so at least a good ending in a bad story,

robert from austria

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: October 17, 2006 02:18

In 1975 I was 19 and my Dad drove me to Buffalo to see the Stones at Rich Stadium! The show was August 8, I had no ticket so we left the day before to try to buy one on the street, or in front of the stadium. On board was also Mom, along for the 7 hour ride and our Irish setter who loved riding so he was one happy pup!At around 6pm we pulled into the parking lot of our motel in Cherry Park, just outsie of Buffalo and a five minute walk to the stadium. We checked in, I was looking around to see if I could spy other Stones fans and within a few seconds I spied about 8 Hell's Angels standing in a circle with their bikes so I started to edge closer, trying to hear what they were talking about. I heard the words " Keith", and " StarF***er" so I knew the topic! My Dad chased after me, not wanting his innocent little girl messing with bikers in leather but it was too late, I'd also heard the words " EXTRA TICKETS!" and I was on my way to join their circle! It was really easy! I just asked if anyone had one extra ticket for me and all of the bikers started talking at once saying YES, buy mine, only $25!! A mere $10 over face value!! WOW,I turned to Dad who already had his money out, wanting to wind up the transaction as soon as possible! Ticket in hand, I thanked my new buddies and headed to our room. Dad was shaking his head, speechless that I'd have the BALLS to deal with Hell's Angels but I told him I'd have dealt with the Devil himself to get into the show!!I ended up in the very front, all General Admission, and took some of the best pictures of the Stones of my life! I still consider that my all-time favorite Stones show! Sadly Dad died the next February, at 49, suddenly. I was devastated...he heard the entire show though, from outside the stadium and even sang along he told me, especially the sing along part in Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 17, 2006 06:21

That's a nice story Debra....you painted a beautiful picture with your words.

Date: October 17, 2006 06:43

Great story Debra. thanx for sharing. Sorry about your dad.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 17, 2006 06:56

... after that, might as well shut this one down......

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 17, 2006 07:52

Debra,

Thanks for heartwarming story.
You've made my day!

Date: October 17, 2006 13:49

Gee, I didn't expect such an " ovation" but I'm glad you liked my litle story. My Dad was awesome, to say the least, and fed all of my Stones fantasies, that was just one little piece of the picture. ( Hey Lukester, haven't seen you here in awhile! Glad you're back!).

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 17, 2006 13:50

Enjoyed Debra's story too. What a nice dad! Waiting in the car outside the venue!

Date: October 17, 2006 14:11

Thanks JJFLASH. I came back to correct myself; the town outside of Buffalo was Orchard Park, not Cherry Park! And not only did my Dad WAIT outside, he STOOD outside, totally freaked because he said a parade of stretchers kept passing in front of him, overdoses etc, and he thought I may be one of the casualties!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 17, 2006 15:37

I've purchased tickets for 2 stones shows all the way from Japan.
One for river front stadium in Cincinnati.
He still held the other one. It was maybe Washington or Chicago show.
As I couldn't go there after all for some reason, I asked him to cancel that ticket.
He accepted my cancellation and paid me back without charge.
That was a scrupulous dealing compared to RS.com or concierge at Four Seasons.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: October 17, 2006 17:04

I went to one of Sheryl crows Shepard Bush Empire shows (with special guest Ronnie Wood) without a ticket, i got there early to check if there were any left at the box office, no luck. Went to the pub for a drink and wait for the touts, as i left the pub one of the touts shouted stop that man at the guy running ran into me knocking me over. Turned out he had just mugged the tout. As a thank you the tout gave me great tickets for that nights show and every time sheryl crow has played since he has given me seats!

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: October 17, 2006 17:18

Not really a scalper story...
We went to the Stones show in Gelsenkirchen/Germany 1995 with about 10 people, only one without ticket. On the way to the stadium he tried to buy a ticket from scalpers but they all were to expensive. Then suddenly one of us FOUND a ticket on the ground! It was opposite to the stage, the place most far away. As the rest of us had tickets for general admission/field we waited for him inside and he tried to climb the fence to join us. He then was caught by security. When we all told the security our story ("he's with us and we want to join the show together") they let him in to join us. So it was a great day for him!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: October 17, 2006 20:01

wow Debra you had devoted parents to drive you 7 hrs with no tickets etc. etc.
what a memory for you!
One time I bought counterfeit tickets at the ARMs concert in SF in '81(?). I went back to find him after getting turned away at the door. The guy was still there and had a line of like 20 people like he was a box office. I was yelling at him to give me my money back. His helper pulled a knife on me but the line was being scared away by my screaming. So the guy with the knife just shoves money in my hand and tells me to get out of there, which I did! Another scalper came up to me right away and sold me legit tickets.

Date: October 18, 2006 01:03

LIVEWITHME, so glad you got what you wanted in the end but you must have been unnerved with that crazy crook! Yes, my parents always tried their best for me and I got to repay my Mom in 1997! I took her to see the Stones, she was 70 at the time and rocked with the best of us! I brought Mom up RIGHT!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 20, 2006 08:05

Drove from DC to Philly.

Bought a ticket for the second Philly show in '89 for $60 ($30 face) from a David St. Hubbins (Spinal Tap) lookalike.

Sat with him and his crew in the 30th row center. Spent most of Living Colour's set trying to restrain him from grabbing the butt of a hottie in a lime green mini-skirt in the row in front of us. Had bad vibes about this guy. But nothing transpired.

Taped the Stones' set, dug the Stones' set.

Home to DC around 3 am.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 21, 2006 04:32

I was twelve in 1969, when I saw the Stones perform live for the first time, in Philadelphia at the Spectrum. My mom and my friend's mom took us and our brothers! Our entourage was comprised of the two moms and six boys. We ranged in age from ten to sixteen. At the time, I thought that we must have been an odd looking group. We probably looked like a lot of people you see at a Stones concert nowadays.

In those days, in was not uncommon for a band to schedule two shows in the same day, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. We had tickets for the matinee show, scheduled for 4:00 on a Tuesday afternoon. Unfortunately, they cancelled the afternoom show. On the day of the show, we were dejected. Luckily though, the (rock) stars were smiling upon us. A cousin of mine had gone down to the Spectrum, hoping to buy a ticket. A few hours before the show, we got a call from my cousin outside the Spectrum. He had found this guy with dozens of tickets to that night's show. He even got the ticket guy to talk to us on the phone. Ticket Guy tells us that he is sympathetic to the plight of people who had purchased tickets to the cancelled show, and he is willing to swap tickets from the cancelled afternoon show for tickets to the sold out evening show. He'd redeem the cancelled tickets later at the box office for face value, he explained. He promised to save eight tickets for us. Imagine this nowadays. We piled frantically into the car, and drove to the Spectrum, 45 minutes away. We were going to see the Rolling Stones after all! We found our cousin, who introduced us to the generous ticket seller. He was surrounded by many people, all eagerly buying tickets. Not surprisingly, he had raised his price a bit since we had spoken to him. He was now asking for $10 for the tickets. Imagine that. For us, however, Ticket Guy kept his word, exchanging the tickets at face value: just $7.50. Imagine any of this nowadays!

Oh, and it was an amazing concert... the first of many stones concerts I've been to.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 21, 2006 06:18

The white man had driven us from our lands and chased us into the hills, where we were forced to subside on squirrels and groundnuts, shells and all. But on one glorious day we regrouped and summoned the sacred spirit of our Beaver god, descending on the white devils with a terrible roar not unlike that of a particularly high pitched note from Geddy Lee. We overwhelmed them, due to the fact that they were lying by the pool swilling pina coladas and trying to tan their pale white asses.

We yanked the toupees from their heads, disloding their hair plugs and knocking their bandannas to the cold, unforgiving earth. Our leader Maverick (also known as “He Who Posts Many Times On His Own Thread Then Scurries Under Rock”) screamed a triumphant “I KNEW IT!” and then made haste to e-bay to sell his genuine white guy pelts. Unfortunately we also stole their blankets, ignoring the prominent warning tags saying “May be filled with smallpox.” Hey, it was fun while it lasted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-21 06:25 by ohnonotyouagain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home