Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Expectations From The Circus
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 12, 2006 20:04

Man what a version. I know it is often mentioned here, how good it is. But I hadn't listened to that particular version in ages. Not only is Brian's solo very beautiful, but everyone shines. Jagger sings it up higher range. Everyone picks it up just a little. The accoustic strums harder, Charlie plays a few more flourishes and Bill pops those fifths. But Nicky really is great IMO. he plays off Brian. between the two of them they sprinkle harmonic gold on there.
Where ever did Jagger come up with the idea that they were no good in the circus?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: No Expectations From The Circus
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 12, 2006 20:09

anybody know if the story about Ian Stewart (his widow found 'em) having the master tapes of the R'N'R circus in his barn is true?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-12 20:20 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2006 20:10

Sometimes I think the reason for the Circus-cancelation, was that Jagger didn't like his looks....thinking about the lipstick.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 12, 2006 20:12

stones looked hot....i think that by the time it was almost done..jagger got bored with it...plus he can't just let things go ..has too be perfect..

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2006 20:16

My favourite from R&RCircus would be Parachute Woman.
Actually, I haven't played that album in months, I'll have to play it tonight.

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 12, 2006 22:26

remember jagger was quoted as saying that the band had been up for 48 hrs before that and his thought was the WHO had performed better...so they shelved it...for quite some time as we know

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 12, 2006 23:09

I don't quite believe the "up for 48hrs" and "The Who outstaged them" myths - of course, they said so, but I believe it has more to do with the fact that shortly after the filming of the Circus, it became more and more apparent to them that they needed to sack Brian, and they probably would not want a "new" TV Special out there showing a member that had just recently been sacked or was going to be sacked very soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-12 23:09 by retired_dog.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 12, 2006 23:12

i have always liked the Circus...what a party that must have been....
Ycagwyw.......NE is awsome salt of the earth....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 13, 2006 11:07

It's a lovely version indeed. Mostly because of Brian's slide. I like The Who on it too. Jethro Tull and Taj Mahal are cool.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: October 13, 2006 12:02

The performance of No Expectations at the Circus is one of the best Stones performances ever filmed. Never heard a better version really.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 13, 2006 12:43

By the way, wasn't the circus version of expectations lowered? (It is not E A D as on Beggars). Can't remember the chords, but it sounds better.

C

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 13, 2006 14:40

Never checked on that liddas. It wouyld make sense, becasue as I said Jagger sings it in a higher register. Yet he is still singing the original melody, relative to whatever key it is. So it makes perfetc sense that they would have chnaged the key.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: October 13, 2006 15:04

I'm not sure, but I think it's in the key of D. But if I remember well Keith played with a capo on second fret. So he probably played something like:

C G
C G
C G
F C G

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 13, 2006 15:42

R'n'R Circus is great. A DVD version is worth buying with some cool outtakes on it (Taj Mahal's songs were great) and lot of other bonus stuff. Everyone was great: Stones, The Who, Dirty Mac, Marianne. Well, maybe except Yoko. But she's fun to watch. And one more thing: note that with Jethro Tull on guitar plays Tony Iommi!!! Completely unknown at that time, soon was to form Black Sabbath.

Posted by: mago ()
Date: October 13, 2006 23:20

I bought the Circus rather late. Actually together with A Bigger Bang. The reason was that I didn´t expect so much from it since the official explanation, why it was not released was that the Stones (i.e. Mick Jagger) didn´t like the quality. Seeing the Circus made me forgot about ABB for a whole week. I think the reason why it was put in the valve must be about rights and money, even if that has not been admitted.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: October 14, 2006 02:41

No Expectations from Circus...isn't this Brian's last signifanct contribution? A very simple yet beautiful slide part.

Here's my version of it...

[www.yousendit.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home