Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Stewart 2006 new album
Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 14, 2006 07:27

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:37 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 14, 2006 16:17

Justin wrote:

Someone should have tricked him and made him cover his own songs from the 70's...at least that would have been better than the garbage in this new cd.

They did ... it's called "Unplugged and Seated".

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 14, 2006 17:02

A once great singer gone down the wrong road for too long. I saw Mac Thursday night in Berwyn/Chicago and let me tell ya the Bump Band kicks major ass. They open for the Stones in Austin making that show one I would love to attend but can't. Those who are going won't be disappointed. If you want to see what the Faces were all about skip Rod and go see Mac. I love the Bump Band and they can really rock it up like few others.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 14, 2006 19:17

Faces live at BBC theater in 71 was televised tonight on Japan's National TV.
The program started with "Poolhall Richard."

Set lists:
Three Button Hand Me Down, Maybe I'm Amazed (Beatles), I'm Gonna Be Loved (Ike&Tina),
Miss Judy's Farm, Love In Vain, Stay With Me, I'm Losing You (Temptations).

Ronnie Lane's vocal on Maybe I'm Amazed was terrific and amazing.

I think now Rod needs a pal like Ronson & Bowie/ Hunter, Keith & Mick or Turner & Hooch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-14 19:19 by Toru A.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 14, 2006 22:40

I like the way Carlitos put it re Rod -- "he has a wild innate power."
Some of the best concerts I ever saw for sheer entertainment were from Rod and the Faces.

I fear that Rod's "wild inate power" has bitten the dust, which makes me respect Jagger and Watts all the more. They still truly love music and give it their all. They do not embarrass themselves or their true blue fans. Which is not to say that Keith and Ronnie do. Ronnie is great on occasion, erratic on others. And Keith is a pro who. hopefully, after a couple of months of well-deserved rest, will thrill us all again on the 2007 gigs.

Re Rod, Clive Davis's shrewd marketing skills have given him tremendous success with his last few CDs but this new record is a pale imitation of what Rod once was capable of. Age is something none of us have control over.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 14, 2006 23:24

Got nothing against listening to Rod doing some Kareoke...As for not hitting teh notes, for me is just a miracle that he can still sing...He had throat cancer, didn't he?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 14, 2006 23:42

Well, as others have already said, it's indeed Karaoke Rod on this album. I'm happy that he's now closed the 'songbook' and returned to rockier material, though.

The record is produced by John Shanks, who is known for his rather slick production style.

The song selection makes me wonder how Clive Davis can think that only songs that are already well-known will sell well (He's done that with Brian Wilson's Xmas album, too). That's nonsense. You won't buy the umpteenth version of the same song that you're so tired of hearing on the radio that it's already coming out of your ears again (Missing You, It's a Heartache, Everything I Own, Crazy Love).

The message of the disc seems to be that Rod is Still The Same:
still a rocker and still not really feeling it anymore.

But I know he will do better at some time, actually he did OK, it's just the song selection that's utterly boring.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 15, 2006 03:34

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 16, 2006 04:04

Rod givin da lowdown bout da " King Bitch Of Rock "
circus mag. circa 1971 & 1972

1 ting bout Rod , he twirled a mic stand like nobody

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 16, 2006 07:10

Like Jack Knife says: "One of the great singers of all time bottoms out".
What a terrible labum; it will sell though. To who I don't even want to know. The maga Clive Davis machine will get behind it and it will make money.
Rod Stewart was probably one of the most beautiful natural singers I can think of in Rock.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 16, 2006 21:49

Nice to see someone else b-sides me remembers the immortal John Davidson! And Edie & Steve!!! Yup hear Rod (Faces) re-invent Brian Wilson on the "Five Guys" box, with a 5 & a half minute "Getting Hungry", or the non lp single (on the Mercury box) "Oh No Not My Baby" or "Cut Across Shorty" (w/ Woods guitar interjections), and the Dylan covers on those Mercury albums...Or for some rock n roll, "Sweet Little Rock n Roller." CLASSIC. (Did I mention the Faces' 'Love In Vain' also on the box?)

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 17, 2006 01:05

The once Rockin' Rod is now a Tony Bennett protege. Someone needs to reignite his creative fires like a guitar player named Ronnie Wood.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 19, 2006 23:02

Album debuted at #1 in US and Canada. Guess I was wrong when I said it probably wouldn't sell as well as his recent Songbook albums.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 19, 2006 23:21

Greil Marcus, writing about Rod Stewart in Rolling Stone's Illustrated History of Rock and Roll:

Rarely has a singer had as full and unique a talent as Rod Stewart; rarely has anyone betrayed his talent so completely. Once the most compassionate presence in music, he has become a bilious self-parody -- and sells more records than ever. A writer who offered profound lyricism and fabulous self-depracating humor, teller of tall tales and honest heartbreaker, he had an unmatched eye for the tiny details around which lives turn, shatter and reform -- the way a lover tears up drafts of a letter, the way a boy combs his hair in the mirror, the way a man in trouble looks for solace -- and a voice to make those details indelible. Adopting the persona of a 19th century Montana homesteader waiting out a bad winter with his wife, of an old man watching his granddaughter squander his savings, of a young man hellbent to nowhere but finding love anyway, he removed all doubts: this is real, you said, this is how it is. Then, full of the rewards he received for his work, and seemingly without noticing, he exchanged passion for sentiment, the romance of sex for a tease, a reach for mysteries with tawdry posturing, and was last seen parading his riches, his fame and his smugness, a sort of hip Englebert Humperdink . . .

written in 1976, and it still sounds true today.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 20, 2006 00:14

well, if the guy can't even spell Humperdinck, how can you take anything he says serioulsy....

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 20, 2006 00:31

I picked up thev cd yesterday . I fully agree with DGA35. Rod puts nothing of himself into these songs . As if he's just going through the motions to cash in

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 22, 2006 23:08

hey guyz look at what i just found:

Rod Stewart msn live clips from Nokia Theater:

[music.msn.com]

It's the monday show for his new album..i think the whole show is in!!!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 22, 2006 23:25

This is better than the new CD !!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 23, 2006 04:13

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: October 26, 2006 19:47

Someone needs to send him a copy of the Faces boxset!!!

Coming Down Again

Posted by: solmask ()
Date: October 27, 2006 15:05

this cd has just came out in the uk this week i heard it a few weeks back and was not impressed.but the uk edition comes with an extra track clapton`s lay down sally which rod covers very well.it is the best thing on the album and why it was left off the american release is a mystery.

Posted by: Brumstone ()
Date: October 27, 2006 15:11

personally I've always been a Rod/Faces fan. I would love to have seen the Faces live.

Rod seems to have lost the gravelly part of his voice since his cancer problem a few years back which is a shame.

As for the album I would rather listen to the original recordings that Rod's reworking of them. This is his 4th release in this genre all of them poor.

Sorry Rod!

With a smile on your face and a tear right in your eye

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 27, 2006 16:47

Rod Stewarts just got lazy. Money for old rope. Terrible shame the American songbook sold so well cause it won't help reignite the spark (if its still left).

I'de love to see an album with Wood, just the two of them.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 27, 2006 16:50

...maybe Mac in there with them. too. They could call themselves "The Three Faces Of Eve".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-27 16:51 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: October 27, 2006 17:27

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rod Stewarts just got lazy. Money for old rope.
> Terrible shame the American songbook sold so well
> cause it won't help reignite the spark (if its
> still left).
>
> I'de love to see an album with Wood, just the two
> of them.

Have you heard Unplugged and Seated? Ronnie is on 80% of the tracks

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 27, 2006 17:35

I own it! Trouble is you got all the session muscians there as well. I'd rather an itimate cd aka American recording (Cash) from Wood n Stewart

Date: October 27, 2006 17:58

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I own it! Trouble is you got all the session
> muscians there as well. I'd rather an itimate cd
> aka American recording (Cash) from Wood n Stewart

I guess so but is it likely to happen given the route that Rod has taken? Perhaps a reunion of the surviving Faces would be better?

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: October 28, 2006 05:52

Elmo,

You're right! Rod has it within him (he sure has put it in others) to make a great rock record. He should just make an lp with Ronnie Wood. It would sound brilliant if the feeling was right. Even better if Tom Waits wrote all the songs and Auggie Meyers was playing his haunting organ à la "Love Sick" from Dylan or Sir Douglas Quintet.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home