Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Mick Jagger - Running Out Of Luck
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 24, 2008 00:51

The movie IS hilarious. I think it was Mick taking the piss of himself, making fun of himself, having fun with who he is. Yeah the TTP,D bit with the LYL album playing (the vocals are still in there, he's just 'singing' along) was, I thought, a brilliant display of hilariousness in terms of how it's so obviously NOT TTP,D.

I liked the beginning of the movie.

Very funny movie. Yeah it's not good. It's FUNNY.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 10, 2013 14:37

skipstone
The movie IS hilarious. I think it was Mick taking the piss of himself, making fun of himself, having fun with who he is. Yeah the TTP,D bit with the LYL album playing (the vocals are still in there, he's just 'singing' along) was, I thought, a brilliant display of hilariousness in terms of how it's so obviously NOT TTP,D.

And the bit where Mick and all the other prisoners are doing that funny dance on the balcony in the prison........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-10 14:37 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 10, 2013 17:50

skipstone

Exactly..people just dont get it...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2013 17:55

Eleanor Rigby
skipstone

Exactly..people just dont get it...

I do find that hard to believe...the movie is hysterical. Rifling through the Julio Iglesias albums finding Through The Past Darkly and playing and dancing to Brown Sugar (WTF...is that only on the Latin American release?) to prove he's Mick Jagger.

That scene alone is worth the price of admission.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 18:06

I think Mick referred to this as a "long video" (produced by "CBS Records," not an actual movie studio, too). So by that standard I found it harmless fun. Rented it twice from a Blockbuster Video. Rae Dawn Chong, though was angry at the nudity and Mick tongue-flicking her nipple (very briefly). She said, "Mick and Julian Temple had me in the middle of nowhere and took advantage."

Date: August 10, 2013 18:34

Title5Take1
I think Mick referred to this as a "long video" (produced by "CBS Records," not an actual movie studio, too). So by that standard I found it harmless fun. Rented it twice from a Blockbuster Video. Rae Dawn Chong, though was angry at the nudity and Mick tongue-flicking her nipple (very briefly). She said, "Mick and Julian Temple had me in the middle of nowhere and took advantage."

yeah I remember that...I wonder if Mick disrobed her then without her knowledge?

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 18:57

Prince did this "Purple Rain"-movie just a year before. I guess that's where the idea for the Jagger-movie came from.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 10, 2013 22:11

Nikolai
Who's seen this? I never have. It's meant to be really crap.

A bit old eh? I saw it. Even bought it. The beginning of it is a riot. When he gets lost it's hilarious. After that it gets really bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-10 22:17 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 11, 2013 01:52

Doxa
I cannot think that anybody tries to take RUNNING OUT OF LUCK seriously - I don't know what it even could mean? It is supposed to be ironical and funny - Mick making funny of himself and of his image (to a degree but still promoting a real solo career)- but an hour and half hours of is a bloody hell long time for telling that point. I remember the movie was once described as the longest and the most boring 'three-minute song video ever done. And nothing is sadder than a funny movie that is not funny. To actually call it 'movie' is making fun of the term. And I think that Jagger's 'ironical' take of himself is nothing but unreflected egoism: "look how smart I am: I act 90 minutes of making fun of myself" (a test: try to show the movie to any non-Jagger fan and ask for impression.)

Seriously, I think the movie is a symptom of Jagger really losing his touch - and that what it was established in reality: the movie was total fiasco in every sense at the time it was released - and it is total historical revisionism to claim otherwise. Jagger tried project his old image in a new context, in a a homeground of people like Michael Jackson and Prince, and failed big time. He did not get a new audience - and lost a lot of respect from his old one.

Taking together, Jagger's solo career from SHE'S THE BOSS to PRIMITIVE COOL is the biggest image bankrupt ever happened in rock business - how the biggest rock star of the world turned to be uncool wanna-be superstar without real fan support. Magical, iconical rock god turned out to be ordinary mortal. Looking RUNNING OUT OF LUCK one can really see very good reasons why. I think the 80's gave Jagger a lesson none of us can really imagine - but thanks to that we got The Rolling Stones back in 1989, and 'humble' Jagger...

- Doxa

Yes!
Those calling it 'ironic', 'campy', 'taking the piss' must not have remembered this when it came out. Jagger was very serious about his move into film, ala Prince, Jackson. It was a travesty at the time, and it remains one of the more embarrassing chapters in Stones' history. This, taken with She's the Boss and PC, are the moment when Mick became corny, old and uncool, but seeming to want to be otherwise.
You're right on the money Doxa. this was one of the biggest 'image bankrupt' moments in rock and roll history. Everything changed, and it all seemed to change overnight. In 1983, with Undercover, Mick was still Mick. In 1985, I remember thinking, 'Is this the same guy who wrote Gimme Shelter?' 'Is this the same guy who sang on Exile on Main Street, Some Girls?' The swagger, wit and intellect was all gone, replaced by something really cheesy and dumb.
Any attempts to turn Running Out of Luck into something more is, like you said Doxa, revisionist thinking. Because I remember how serious Jagger was about his 'film' and planned on releasing it in theaters - that's how deluded he was at the time. The response was so bad, from critics, that it ended up being released nearly two years later only on VHS. It disappeared. I happened to find it at my local video store in the early 90s...and, approaching with a certain amount of dread and embarrassment, finally watched it and was thankful not many people saw it. It was cringeworthy.
It wasn't funny, witty, or gracefully done. It was tacky and cheap, plastic.
It took Mick a long time to shake this image off.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-11 01:56 by stupidguy2.

Date: August 11, 2013 10:20

stupidguy2
Doxa
I cannot think that anybody tries to take RUNNING OUT OF LUCK seriously - I don't know what it even could mean? It is supposed to be ironical and funny - Mick making funny of himself and of his image (to a degree but still promoting a real solo career)- but an hour and half hours of is a bloody hell long time for telling that point. I remember the movie was once described as the longest and the most boring 'three-minute song video ever done. And nothing is sadder than a funny movie that is not funny. To actually call it 'movie' is making fun of the term. And I think that Jagger's 'ironical' take of himself is nothing but unreflected egoism: "look how smart I am: I act 90 minutes of making fun of myself" (a test: try to show the movie to any non-Jagger fan and ask for impression.)

Seriously, I think the movie is a symptom of Jagger really losing his touch - and that what it was established in reality: the movie was total fiasco in every sense at the time it was released - and it is total historical revisionism to claim otherwise. Jagger tried project his old image in a new context, in a a homeground of people like Michael Jackson and Prince, and failed big time. He did not get a new audience - and lost a lot of respect from his old one.

Taking together, Jagger's solo career from SHE'S THE BOSS to PRIMITIVE COOL is the biggest image bankrupt ever happened in rock business - how the biggest rock star of the world turned to be uncool wanna-be superstar without real fan support. Magical, iconical rock god turned out to be ordinary mortal. Looking RUNNING OUT OF LUCK one can really see very good reasons why. I think the 80's gave Jagger a lesson none of us can really imagine - but thanks to that we got The Rolling Stones back in 1989, and 'humble' Jagger...

- Doxa

Yes!
Those calling it 'ironic', 'campy', 'taking the piss' must not have remembered this when it came out. Jagger was very serious about his move into film, ala Prince, Jackson. It was a travesty at the time, and it remains one of the more embarrassing chapters in Stones' history. This, taken with She's the Boss and PC, are the moment when Mick became corny, old and uncool, but seeming to want to be otherwise.
You're right on the money Doxa. this was one of the biggest 'image bankrupt' moments in rock and roll history. Everything changed, and it all seemed to change overnight. In 1983, with Undercover, Mick was still Mick. In 1985, I remember thinking, 'Is this the same guy who wrote Gimme Shelter?' 'Is this the same guy who sang on Exile on Main Street, Some Girls?' The swagger, wit and intellect was all gone, replaced by something really cheesy and dumb.
Any attempts to turn Running Out of Luck into something more is, like you said Doxa, revisionist thinking. Because I remember how serious Jagger was about his 'film' and planned on releasing it in theaters - that's how deluded he was at the time. The response was so bad, from critics, that it ended up being released nearly two years later only on VHS. It disappeared. I happened to find it at my local video store in the early 90s...and, approaching with a certain amount of dread and embarrassment, finally watched it and was thankful not many people saw it. It was cringeworthy.

Mick Jagger had been 'Mick Jagger' since 1962, and wanted something more than being a one dimensional rock star. He'd done it, more successfully than almost anyone else, and certainly longer at the top than anyone else.

He wanted more than just being a Rolling Stone. that had become far too easy on the one hand, and more difficult (working with Keith) on the other.

It wasn't terribly well thought out mind you. He did destroy the myth in those years, but I don't think it was all bad. He's rebuilt it better than ever by trying and working very hard.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: August 11, 2013 10:38

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
Doxa

- Doxa

Yes!

Mick Jagger had been 'Mick Jagger' since 1962, and wanted something more than being a one dimensional rock star. He'd done it, more successfully than almost anyone else, and certainly longer at the top than anyone else.

He wanted more than just being a Rolling Stone. that had become far too easy on the one hand, and more difficult (working with Keith) on the other.

It wasn't terribly well thought out mind you. He did destroy the myth in those years, but I don't think it was all bad. He's rebuilt it better than ever by trying and working very hard.

Yes. I also think he wanted out of his Rolling Stone image. The 80ies turned out not to be interesting in the end and Mick was a bit too enthusiastic with it in the beginning. But he freed himself more than Keith did, who still is imprisoned in his image. His rock star image is not important to him, so he can do whatever he wants to, like Superheavy, solo-records that do not sound like the Stones, etc.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 11, 2013 20:07

Did enough people even pay attention to She's the Boss and Runnin' Out of Luck for them to affect his image? Probably the only Mick solo thing tons of people saw around that time was his LIVE-AID gig, which I don't think left much of an impression either way. And one of the things I've admired about Mick is his always having had a pretty broad image, and not being too rigid. Reading Shelley at Hyde Park, being a gay protaganist in When the Whip Comes Down and (sort of) in Let Me Go (can you imagine Elvis or even Jim Morrison singing those lines?), saying way back at a blue-blood party in 1967 or so "I'm here to learn to how to be a gentleman" to another party guest (so no surpise he was pleased to be knighted, years later). Singing in drag in Bent. Doing a falsetto in Emotional Rescue (probably braver in its way than the Stones releasing Little Red Rooster as a single). Mick's always been all over the map.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: August 11, 2013 21:13

1/2 loaf is a good song

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 11, 2013 22:51

call me a fool but i love the jagger-solo-stuff. and i´d love to see the running out of luck-callitmovie.
it would be great iff anybody could post the "don´t look back" jagger DVD in which it is included. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 12, 2013 01:04

>Because I remember how serious Jagger was about his 'film' and planned on releasing it in theaters

Now you're just making shit up, stupid guy. Provide a source.

Date: August 12, 2013 01:21

Glam Descendant
>Because I remember how serious Jagger was about his 'film' and planned on releasing it in theaters

Now you're just making shit up, stupid guy. Provide a source.

I'm no source, but I remember that at the time as well.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 12, 2013 04:14

TDive25
Prince did this "Purple Rain"-movie just a year before. I guess that's where the idea for the Jagger-movie came from.

100% ON THE MONEY.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 12, 2013 05:25

Title5Take1
Did enough people even pay attention to She's the Boss and Runnin' Out of Luck for them to affect his image? Probably the only Mick solo thing tons of people saw around that time was his LIVE-AID gig, which I don't think left much of an impression either way. And one of the things I've admired about Mick is his always having had a pretty broad image, and not being too rigid. Reading Shelley at Hyde Park, being a gay protaganist in When the Whip Comes Down and (sort of) in Let Me Go (can you imagine Elvis or even Jim Morrison singing those lines?), saying way back at a blue-blood party in 1967 or so "I'm here to learn to how to be a gentleman" to another party guest (so no surpise he was pleased to be knighted, years later). Singing in drag in Bent. Doing a falsetto in Emotional Rescue (probably braver in its way than the Stones releasing Little Red Rooster as a single). Mick's always been all over the map.

Everything except Bent is within The Rolling Stones. Not a stretch compared to solo. Solo he wanted to be different, which obviously didn't work in making him a solo "star" in the likes of Madonna and Whacko.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home