Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best technique for getting Vid Camera in?
Posted by: brokenhands ()
Date: October 9, 2006 02:55

Just hoping someone with experience can give some advice on how to get in with a video camera (small one, natch)...

Thanks in advance!

Re: Best technique for getting Vid Camera in?
Date: October 9, 2006 05:47

Cell phone with quality vid camera is the easy way now as they don't ban cell phones they don't have enough time to inspect all cell phones...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-09 06:36 by NumberOneStonesFan.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: October 9, 2006 06:18

Part your cheeks and brace yourself...

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: October 9, 2006 22:23

A friend of mine from Holland taped a small, but high quality,video camera just below his knee, inside his cargo pants. It hurt a bit when he tore the tape off, but his legs really look a lot better with no hair... He waxed them...

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 9, 2006 23:14

I believe the guy who filmed the Brixton '95 show had the camera in his hat.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 10, 2006 02:55

In Regina, they were making people take off their hats.

It depends on the venue -- I used to put it into one of those thin bags with thin rope to tie it around your shoulders, then stuff it down my crotch with the thin ropes tied up around my belt.

They NEVER searched quite THAT closely so it always worked. Once in, I would just duck into a bathroom and take out the gear.

I still got kicked out of Licks San Francisco II but that was because I stupidly shot from a main "causeway", got caught, told by a Brit security guard that I was a "bad, bad man", and thrown out. We still had our ticket stubs so we just went right back in. Better to shoot from your seat as long as people don't get in the way.

But this was before this tour where several venues use electronic scanners which they wand you with. I was not trying to sneak in my video camera, which is somewhat large, but got my digital camera and stuff it down a long, strong sock right next to my ankle, wear very loose pants such as sweat pants and it looks pretty natural AND they don't scan this low. This should work for a small video camera.

Yet, neither Missoula nor Regina had scanners and were barely searching anybody. Small cities.

Lots of times, bags are not really or barely checked. You could bring it in in and put it in the bottom of the bag and if they catch you, they mostly say that you cant bring one of these in so you will have to go back to your car or whatever and put it back.

At Twickenham II, the camera check folks said they weren't taking video cameras so I brought it in, was not really checked, filmed the first 3 songs, then was caught by one of those guys who stand just below the front of the stage with headphones on and scan the crowd. My give away was that I did not cover up the red light on the front of the camera which comes on when you are taping. But he just made me put it away which I did, but then towards the last part of the show, started just audio taping with the video camera, then got bold enough to do a little bit of shooting again.

PRAISE THE PLEXIGLASS!!!

tim from Plexiglass, montana

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: October 11, 2006 16:55

I find having a hadbag with a bunch of really grotty hankies stuffed on the top
works real well as long as they are not wearing gloves they dont want to go any further.

My OH puts his in his jeans pocket ,loose T Shrt over it and has a belt on top of the T Shirt with his pda thingy hanging in front of the camera they tell him to take the pda out of its pouch and when they see what it is they wave him on.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: October 11, 2006 17:09

When I went to Berlin this year, I didn't really plan to take my 4 Mio-Pixel digi-cam into venue, but I had no hotel and so I decided to take it with me...but where?
Standing in front of the stadium, I saw the securities not using scans (they didn't use it at the other German gis as well) and beeing only were cursorily; so I went into one of the mobile-toiletts and put my very flat camera into my large shoes...what an awful feeling, to walk like this, always caring not to damage the camera. But it worked! For not needing to run because we had reserved seats, I could walk very slow and I tried to be very realxed. Insinde the stadium, I went to the toilett and took it out of my show, put it in my trouser pocket...no problem!
My seat was really in the middle of a sector and so I didn't worry about eager beaver watchers who could search me after the flash-light.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-11 17:12 by RollingStonesFan.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 11, 2006 18:38

Put the camera in the front of your pants...wear TIGHT underware or it will slip and move around after several steps.

Wear a "fanny Pack" in front of your belt. Stuff the fanny pack with cell phone, keys, wallet, anything that will distract a gate visual scan if they ask to look through it. Put something in the rear pocket of the fanny pack to hide the slight buldge from the camera that may poke through.

If they use metal detectors, open your bag and show them the keys and phone. Do your best not to let them remove the pack from your waist.

Try to find a female gate checker and FLIRT with her, humor goes a long way with people who have to ask people to empty thier pockets for 2+ hours. If she starts to pat you down...giggle and say "I'd love to see what kind of pat down I'd get if I took you to Red Lobster".

I've snuck in DAT recorders, etc into shows for many years this way....only time I got caught was when I forgot to bring the fanny pack.

Good Luck!!!!

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: October 11, 2006 20:28

Hi Rolling Stones Fan!
i had been to Berlin too. but i didn't take a camera in. are you interested in trading? would love to get some pics in a higher solution. i can offer you an great audience recording from the show.
thanx in advance

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: October 11, 2006 20:41

Just swallow it and then
fish and chips
no prob gettin' it out
and in to the show.

;-))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 11, 2006 20:52

RollingStonesFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > My seat was really in the middle of a sector and
> so I didn't worry about eager beaver watchers who
> could search me after the flash-light.

You can just turn off the flash on your digital camera, too. I always make sure and do that. Stage lights are so bright you still get good shots.

Plexiglass

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: October 11, 2006 20:56

Take your gilfriend. If you know what I mean.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: October 11, 2006 21:01

@Monkey Man:
I didn't take pix, I just wanted to film some songs, JJF, Paint It Black and Satisfaction, but the qualitiy ist very bad :-(
Thank you for your offer, but I already have a good Berlin-recording (torrent).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1541
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home