Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Missing in action - BOWIE and MELLENCAMP - anything new coming?
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: October 3, 2006 23:28

Anybody know if these 2 are gonna release anything soon? It's been A LONG time....

Re: OT: Missing in action - BOWIE and MELLENCAMP - anything new coming?
Posted by: PedroThePimp ()
Date: October 3, 2006 23:38

HOPE NOT!!!!!!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 4, 2006 00:36

Kinda a weird to combine these two in one thread...

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 4, 2006 00:49

It really hasn't been that long for both of these artists, compared to how long some artists take.

Bowie released A Reality in the fall of 2003 and toured behind in into the summer of 2004, when the tour ended abruptly for medical reasons. Since then he's made a few guest appearances including with David Gilmour and Richard Wright in London in May. I haven't heard anything about a new album upcoming, as he supposedly is just laying low getting his health back.

As for Mellencamp last year he released his 2 cd best of album and toured behind that a lot and has continued touring a little bit this year this year. I believe his last studio album was also Fall 2003, as well. I haven't heard word of a new album though.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 4, 2006 01:18

What was wrong with Bowie?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 4, 2006 01:25

Mellancamp cougar bowie,,,,good name for a crappy band...or any variation of the 1st three words...

JR

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: October 4, 2006 01:44

i think bowie had a minor heart attack while performing on stage!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 4, 2006 01:46

Another Bowie album would be great but no idea when anything would be forthcoming. However you should be excited to know the Glass Spider concert is being re-released on DVD.

Date: October 4, 2006 02:13

Hmmm Thanks for the info Dan, Wish they'd release the tour after "Glass Spider", maybe 2 tours after - can't remember. Yeah, on Bowie's health I read he had a heart attack AND heart surgery but, at the time, they said it was no big deal, yet, he really doesn't seem to be doing much. I have a feeling his health might be in worst shape then we think.

Mellencamps last studio, non greatest hits CD was that blues one he put out. It's been at least 3 yrs.....

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: October 4, 2006 02:17

Bowie is headlining and curating a massive/multi-day festival in NYC in Spring 2007. For more info you can probably find it on his website.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 4, 2006 02:20

Mellancamp did a brief summer tour. I saw him in Lake Tahoe. Great show, nothing but hits.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 4, 2006 02:20

I have heard from someone here in L.A. who has some connections that Bowie's health was/is worse than what has been made public and that he has been quietly coming to L.A. from his home in New York for visits related to this. Whether this is true or not, I really don't know. He has made some public appearances recently so there may be nothing to this rumor, other than the guy is just taking it easy and enjoying life.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 4, 2006 02:24

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think bowie had a minor heart attack while
> performing on stage!

So logically, since he's already collaborated with Queen on Under Pressure, his next project should be a cover of this classic Queen album: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 4, 2006 05:00

LieB Wrote:
> Kinda a weird to combine these two in one
> thread...

Agreed.

What they have in common tho, is that early in their careers they were both "Mainmain Artists" (management company) and both worked with Mick Ronson.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 4, 2006 05:12

johnny cougar lol!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 4, 2006 05:17

how can you mention both of them together like that. If you were talking about actors thats like saying you know "I havent seen James Woods OR Jonathin Taylor Thomas in any movies latley".

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 4, 2006 05:43

Bowie had a partial artery blockage during a concert in Germany and was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery...and by all acounts is doing fine. He has made several public appearances since the health scare. One of the most high profiles was playing the Fashion Rocks show last year when he played Life On Mars with Mike Garson (keyboards) and played with The Arcade Fire on one of their tunes (Wake Up) and did Five Years. He has also appeared with them during their encore during a recent New York show. As was mentioned above he is headlining a festival. He has supposidly been working on a new album...and a recent appearance he looked very healthy!
John Cougar....not a fan, so can't comment.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: October 4, 2006 06:11

I think Cougar's 3 pack daily habit caused his ticker to sputter about 10 years ago, too.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 4, 2006 07:07

I just saw Mellencamp in the news 2 days ago. News about Farm-Aid. He played there and is very involved in those causes. IMO Mellencamp gets a bum rap. Not only is he a decent musican and writer whose heart is in the right place, but he is a great artist painter and actor/director/writer. He has a lot to say. I think he might have pulled back a bit after the big surgery he had few years back.
Bowie...at this point I really hope Bowie goes away. His output gets worse and worse.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: October 4, 2006 08:30

Sorry you are so wrong about Bowie...Heathen is an incredible work of art, and ranks up with his classics. So much so he performed the entire disc and all of Low at one show in NY. Give it a close listen, and it takes a bit, but it is GREAT!
Reality is good as well, and the tour he did for that disc was amazing. I saw him in Singapore and he regularly changed his set list and included quite a few nuggets....Quicksand! Bewlay Brothers, and several songs from Ziggy, and The Man Who Sold the World!

So have to disagree about your statement. And when compared to Johnny Cougar there is no comparison!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 4, 2006 09:07

Not a huge Mellencamp fan but I saw him at the PNC Bank Arts Center about seven years ago. I'm not sure if he does this at every concert but he invited someone in the audience to go up onstage and sing "Hurt So Good" with him. It wasn't really a duet- the fan just sang a couple lines and went back to his seat. Too bad the Stones don't do that.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: October 4, 2006 09:34

David Bowie apparantly was a really heavy smoker - 60 cigs a day kind of thing. Clearly this contributed to his heart problems. He has put on a lot of weight since he has been ill, possibly because of drugs,(steroids or whatever) used to treat his condition. Apparantly he's also prone to depression, which considering all of the above may also contributing to his lay-off.
A great shame.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 4, 2006 10:24

Bowie's new album will be out next year. There will also be deluxe editions of both Young Americans (which should have come out this year) and Station to Station. There may also be another tour.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 4, 2006 11:09

Bowie appeared in the 2nd episode,
of the new series of 'Extras', recently.

He looks well.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 4, 2006 11:53

What kind of surgery did Mellencamp have?

I saw him at MSG in 87(88 and it's one of the greatest concerts ever, including all the Stones concerts I've seen.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 4, 2006 15:05

Mellencamp will be on TV constantly from now on. Chevrolet in running new Truck advertisements with him in place of the old Bob Seger "Like a Rock" campaign.

Cougar, coming soon to a TV near you!

Date: October 4, 2006 18:31

Mellencamp had a minor heart attack (a silent Heart Attack - his Dr. dicovered it later during a pre tour physical) but I don't think he had any surgery. His Dr. told him to quit smoking and stay away from fast food. Don't know about the food but he DID cut down a lot on the smokes - not 100% gone though.....

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 4, 2006 19:18

turd Wrote:
> David Bowie apparantly was a really heavy smoker -
> 60 cigs a day kind of thing. Clearly this
> contributed to his heart problems. He has put on a
> lot of weight since he has been ill, possibly
> because of drugs,(steroids or whatever) used to
> treat his condition. Apparantly he's also prone to
> depression, which considering all of the above may
> also contributing to his lay-off.
> A great shame.

Bowie smoked - according to him - about 100 Gitannes a day during the early to late 70s; then he switched to Marlboro reds and smoked two packs a day until the early 90s; post-marriage he switched to Marlboro Lights, but smoked about 70 of those a day. He quit after his daughter was born, didn't smoke throughout Heathen, but apparently resumed during Reality. I'm fairly sure he's quit now,

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 5, 2006 00:55

Bowie announced last year that he was taking this year off from music. He did act though -- he can be seen in the forthcoming movie THE PRESTIGE (I think that's the title). He also sang a Syd Barrett song not long ago, I think it was at a Roger Waters concert in London.

Date: October 5, 2006 02:23

Was with David Gilmor and yes he is in Prestige.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home