Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

why the stones have lost the edge for me
Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: October 1, 2006 23:16

I suddenly realised why some of my excitement for the band has gone for me. In the past there was always something that defined the tour/period. There was always excitement at the start of a tour as to where the band was at both musically and personality wise.

Now I have not had that feeling since BTB tour. Now I think there is no excitement about change. This is the final model you know? It has been the same since the licks tour. All the guys are so firm in there personalities it is hard to see them changing. Mick being Mick, Charlie doing his thing, Ronnie clowning and Keith the bandana wearing pirate.

Not complianing or cristising but just saying what I see

Re: why the stones have lost the edge for me
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 1, 2006 23:18

The reason may be that you used to be stoned, but you're sober now.

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: October 1, 2006 23:19

correct

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 1, 2006 23:31

Anyways...if you listen to the last third of a show...the hit-section, some songs can sound the same in 2005 as in 1994, that's right.
Some reasons why it is like that, in contrast to earlier tours...
- RS has pretty much kept the same side-musicians since 1989 untill now,
while they changed it a lot more in the 70s and early 80s.
- They play mostly older songs these days, while in the 70s they played songs that were new at the time...when they got an old one like Satisfaction in 78, everybody thought it was a real treat...the same way with Get Off Of My Cloud in 75/76.
- To get a whole stadium rocking...they have to do a built-up show to please everybody in the audience...play it more safe, so to say. While it's easier to do their "own stuff" in the smaller venues in the 70s.
- RS don't "pose" as much in the media, these days, like they used to...to get attention....in other words they don't have to come up with a "new" formula, vision-wise and sound-wise, and tHey don't have to dress avantgarde anymore....they get their tickets sold anyway.

edit: Of course I think RS is still great...just some things that makes the tours seem somewhat alike the last 17 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-02 00:48 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 2, 2006 00:20

SO if they've lost their edge, who do you currently feel passion and respect for?

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: October 2, 2006 04:38

Just to add my thoughts, the other bands and muso's that I had passion for are now non existent thanks to the repetitive crap spewed out by radio stations over the last 20 or so years. I now go as often as I can to local venues and pubs etc to see and listen to new youngsters having a bash. I may look out of place with grey hair and fat gut, but its there that it all starts and some are crap but some are great, and if we can support these young starters we may eventually get some new talent for the next generation, so they dont need to listen for the twenty year repeat of the last twenty years. I actully met a young bloke who went out and bought %&*Hotel California because he thought it was new. I could add a lot more to this post but I will just get upset. Ive had a good history in my love of music I want the same for my grandkids. Have I gone off the rails here with this post.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: October 2, 2006 04:43

If it wasnt for my collection of Stones material I would be a real miserable soul and I enjoy listening to their slightly obscure material as much as my old 78s.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 2, 2006 05:02

we all lose a little bit of our edge as we get older.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 2, 2006 05:26

Still one can not deny that this is what uzbstoned feels. I might feel a bit the same. That is true: they are now firmly fixed in their respective roles.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: October 2, 2006 07:02

uz2bstoned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suddenly realised why some of my excitement for
> the band has gone for me. In the past there was
> always something that defined the tour/period.
> There was always excitement at the start of a tour
> as to where the band was at both musically and
> personality wise.
>
> Now I have not had that feeling since BTB tour.
> Now I think there is no excitement about change.
> This is the final model you know? It has been the
> same since the licks tour. All the guys are so
> firm in there personalities it is hard to see them
> changing. Mick being Mick, Charlie doing his
> thing, Ronnie clowning and Keith the bandana
> wearing pirate.

well its impossible to argue with tautologies such as "mick being mick" or "charlie doing his thing"!

its like me saying "the color blue being the color blue"..

what do you mean by mick being mick?

wasn't he mick in 1965?

a friend of mine took a picture of mick earlier this year in baltimore..its an incredible shot.. he looks exactly like mick always has... he's singing his head off..working it as much as he can... but yes there are a million wrinkles and he looks old..still, to me he looks like an old bluesmaster..... what did he do in 1980 that was so different than now? he sings better now..thats about the only difference i can tell.

and "charlie doing his thing"?? what does this mean??? that he's playing the drums? so?

its only rock'n'roll man.. and its been discussed a million times..with modern technology and instant shows up on dime and digital pix we get to follow the tour very closely and we see how similar the shows are.. but they were very similar in during the exile tour..in fact the set lists were even more similar..its just no one knew that at the time really.. except a few..

i'm just hoping i can get tickets for atlantic city...so far no luck..

i love people who say "not criticizing" but they are.. you are criticizing! you are saying they dont' change.they are the same and assuming (very western society of you) that not changing/evolving/moving forward/moving somewhere is bad..

but is it? if you're rocking out and making 10s of thousands of people happy and getting the big rush ..is it so bad?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 3, 2006 11:51

It's a mistake to say that the songs don't sound different. I've seen them on B2B, Licks and ABB. There's been a world of difference in the way they play it (ABB is fave because it rocks so hard) and they've gotten better every time I saw them. My dad also thinks that the Horsens ABB concert might be the best he's seen, and he's seen every tour since 1982.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 3, 2006 12:40

The Stones can still cut it live. If you see them doing their thing live, they've still got the magic. But if you're an armchair fan who doesn't go to the gigs and simply collects bootlegs, then yeah, I have to agree, there have been very few new tricks since 1989/90. In fact, they've become a lot less adventurous in their tour song choices since Wyman left.

Posted by: FreRock ()
Date: October 3, 2006 12:51

The Stones still have their edge, the energy they put into live shows is electric, and they still churn out great albums.

The Stones were the blueprint for great rock bands, and they still kick everyone else's ass.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2006 13:11

I don't see how one can consider they have lost the edge!

It was not that hard be a rock and roll act in the 70: it was full of great rock and roll acts!

I find it much harder for them to be a rock band today in Britney days. Why should they play r'n'r in a stadium? The would make even more money if they cashed on opening the vaults or sitting on their bums playing some acoustic blues standards a la Clapton, that is what everybody, even here, would love to have

But they don't care, and still rock the house. And (at least in Europe) find the way to get to people of all ages, even the

This is genuine punk attitude!

And I love them for it

C

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 3, 2006 13:27

To me they sound the same (and great) since I first saw them in 1994. I'm not a fan who compares the way they played Satisfaction during the Licks tour and ABB. That is nonsense. BTW, who different can it really be? Because MJ keeps repeating eheyheyhey? Ahahhahaaah?hhhmmmmmmm
I just hope to hear a different song nowadays. In vain.
And there are soooooooooooo many.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 3, 2006 18:51

Hardly news that a band playing for 45 years has lost its edge. Most would put the date much farther back than 1997.

Nice post, whiskey.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 3, 2006 19:12

not sure if "edge" is the word I would use. but, I definitely think they've stopped "growing" as a band, artistically, if you can even use the word to describe something in the rock'nroll genre. And, I do think they more or less stopped doing so in the mid-90's. Keith hasn't played a new lick in literally a decade and the "tricks in his bag" are being reduced to a very small number these days. You know the licks he's gonna play before he even plays them. Most of them are still pretty good ones. Ronnie? Well, he actually does seem interested and capable of pulling off new "tricks/licks" these days. Kudos to him.

But, as a band, I more or less agree with the observations in the original post on this thread. What they put out there is still good. But, it's not growing/alive - in a word, it's not "dangerous" anymore....

Posted by: KCSTONED ()
Date: October 3, 2006 19:46

I have got to agree with uz2bstoned. The Stones while I still love them have definitely lost the edge they once had. Seeing Keith singing with out a guitar and the dreadful version of TnA along with the whole Vegas atmosphere have proved extremely disappointing. Mick and Charlie are still great but Keith seems to be losing his touch. Maybe he should lay off the booze for a while and stick to the occassional joint for relaxation. He hasn't done much for me in past 10 yrs and I love the guy.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: October 3, 2006 20:22

Seen every tour since 82. No complaints here. If you've lost the edge then bad luck.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 3, 2006 20:41

jagger50 Wrote:
> Seen every tour since 82. No complaints here. If
> you've lost the edge then bad luck.

can't lose what you never had (muddy waters said that)....I ain't never had it!

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: October 3, 2006 20:47

Harm Wrote:
> To me they sound the same (and great) since I
> first saw them in 1994. I'm not a fan who compares
> the way they played Satisfaction during the Licks
> tour and ABB. That is nonsense. BTW, who different
> can it really be? Because MJ keeps repeating
> eheyheyhey? Ahahhahaaah?hhhmmmmmmm
> I just hope to hear a different song nowadays. In
> vain.
> And there are soooooooooooo many.

well there is a very big difference in the way Keith played Satisfaction on Licks tour and ABB tour. In ABB Tou is was different at different time as well. In Europe there was a whole evolution of the way the riff sounded. And the way Keith was starting the song. In the beggining of Euro '06 it was just the riff coming in, than this 'woo woo' kind of thing (sorry for my English) than the way he did in 1989/90. Also the riff was getting lower and lower, sounding different, how amazing, seen them 10 times in Europe and heard differenet soudning Satisfaction each time. Unbelievable.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 3, 2006 22:42

I think I understand uz2bstoned, I have the same feeling sometimes.
But yesterday I listen to Satisfaction from the Giants Stadium september 27 man that rocks and they didn't try to make a copy of the '65 version this time.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 3, 2006 23:26

Nikolai wrote: "The Stones can still cut it live. If you see them doing their thing live, they've still got the magic. But if you're an armchair fan who doesn't go to the gigs and simply collects bootlegs, then yeah, I have to agree, there have been very few new tricks since 1989/90."

Agree. But personally i don't think that a lot of "new tricks" are necessary to keep the edge. Very good performances are here, high energy is here, rock n' roll spirit is here. So the edge is here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home