Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I just figured out that "Stray Cat Blues" is the best live song The Stones did
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 29, 2006 02:29

The pasion of Mick, the Beat from Charlie and the Guitars and the Bass ......... a lot of tension

The version from "Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out"

What's your's ..............?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-29 02:34 by NICOS.

Re: I just figured out that "Stray Cat Blues" is the best live song The Stones did
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 29, 2006 03:09

I havent heard the Ya-Ya's version in a while. I should give it another listen. I love the version on Four flicks. its so LOUD at the end. and mick going "Bet your mammaa dont knowwww!" its awesome!

Re: I just figured out that "Stray Cat Blues" is the best live song The Stones did
Date: September 29, 2006 03:15

I play the version of Flicks tomorrow (as I go to sleep now)

Date: September 29, 2006 03:16

good idea. Its not exactly bed time music.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 29, 2006 03:26

I beg to differ, Nicos. The definition of the Stones in the 21st century (on an official release) is "Midnight Rambler" from the HBO MSG show on Four Flicks. The drama and the chops and the atmosphere are all right there. This is my most replayed track from the collection. Watch it LOUD.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 29, 2006 03:29

Yes, "Stray Cat" is great but I have to say in the dark ages of the late sixties, it was a thrill and a privilege to see and hear Midnight Rambler" and "Gimme Shelter. Unforgettable performances

Posted by: lonecrapshooter ()
Date: September 29, 2006 05:13

the wiltern version is great: '"WHY DON'T YOU BRING HER UPSTAIRS!!!!????"

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 29, 2006 05:16

lonecrapshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the wiltern version is great: '"WHY DON'T YOU
> BRING HER UPSTAIRS!!!!????"

I was just going to post the same thing until I saw your post.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: September 29, 2006 05:37

..... pure stones,, not contaminated.........

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 29, 2006 05:42

Love, love, love that version on Ya Yas. Possibly my favorite track on the album, although its all so good. Love that version of Carol on there as well.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 29, 2006 06:00

Is was great in September 02 at United Center in Chicago, Mick sexing it up like an adolescent...

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 29, 2006 06:08

Agreed about the Wiltern version. While not quite as polished as some of the Licks theatre shows, this one has always stood high above them all as the most passionate of all the smaller venue shows of the tour. Damn, what a show.

Posted by: KCSTONED ()
Date: September 29, 2006 09:52

sorry but for me the ya-yas version of Stray Cat Blues blows more current versions away. Its Taylors lead guitar that makes the 69-73 versions of the Stones standout. YA-yas by far has the best version of SFTD with the classis Richards/Taylor approach and none of that prerecorded shit.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: September 29, 2006 11:10

Until "Four Flicks" my favourite version was leeds University 71 but I must admit that the performance at the Olympia theater in 2003 is ,to me ,mindblowing.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 29, 2006 11:23

Good choice and forgotten gem. Stray cat on yayas used to be my favourite years ago. But, Midnight, live 1972 has to be the best live song they ever did. Happy in 72-76 could be a second. Brown Sugar has worked very fine in 1972 and 1975, IYCRM was great and still works, actually. SMFTD was great until they picked it up again in 1989. Midnight is the ultimate live song.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 29, 2006 12:47

both versions (69 and 03) are awesome, only MR can top it thru the years

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 29, 2006 12:53

The original version on BB is the nastiest track they've ever done. It should be a warhorse, and they should have released it as a second single.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: September 29, 2006 13:54

The younger fans on here don't get it. The '69 Stones show was far and away more exciting, provocative than what they do now. They are 60+ years old! You cannot compare SCB to that time, There is no comparison. Jagger "sexing it up like an adolescent'? in 2002 or 03? Please.....Taylor's lead on Ya Yas is unbeatable, Mick and Keith were at their absolute "coolest"...Not having experienced it themselves, the young fans here must be excused for their ignorance. And, yes, I agree with drbryant, the studio version On BB is truly nasty!

Posted by: FPJr ()
Date: September 29, 2006 14:45

the studio version is my favourite track ever from whomever

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: September 29, 2006 15:17

drbryant Wrote:
> The original version on BB is the nastiest track
> they've ever done.

Man, don't some of you guys have ears? drbryant is SO spot on here. The whole point that makes SCB so great is how nasty and depraved the singer sounds - the guitars sound DEPRAVED too !!. He REALLY is waiting for that 13 year old to come upstairs. The Stones totally pull it off on BB and it's also great on Ya-Ya's (for the same but also slightly different reasons) but to call the Live Flicks version great or GREATEST is a joke. It's totally speed up - played WAY too fast, Jagger jumps right in (even changing the words and ages of the girls)..... Forget it...Probably the last time I can recall SCB sang with any sencerity what so ever was the January 1973 LA Forum earthquake benefit show.... It's not a song for the 1989 Steel Wheels and beyond Stones to sing, takes on a different meaning when the singer gets older....

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 29, 2006 15:39

SCB has ALWAYS been one of the meanest coolest tracks the Stones do. The rhythm guitar that Keith plays BEHIND Taylor's lead is my alltime favorite guitar ever ever recorded. It's just those chunking chords but man are they hot and electric. Jagger on Ya-Ya's sounds absloutely majestic in parts. "If she's so wild she can join in too..."the way he pharses that line on Ya-Ya's.
And the two guitar's interplay on the live version. On the big A chord Taylor and Keith keep crashing together.
And please let's not forget the 71 version WITH HORNS!! When they still used horns the right way.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: September 29, 2006 16:06

midnight rambler off bedspring symphony brussels '73...12:48...AWESOME

Posted by: SonicBBQ ()
Date: September 29, 2006 16:15

drbryant Wrote:
> The original version on BB is the nastiest track
> they've ever done. It should be a warhorse, and
> they should have released it as a second single.

Truedat...it (and parachute woman) also introduced to the "grunge" guitar sound...sorry Kurt.

Rob,
Sittin' in a bar tipplin' a jar in Jackson...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-29 16:17 by SonicBBQ.

Date: September 29, 2006 19:41

keefstheman Wrote:
> The younger fans on here don't get it.

I dont get it eh? ive listened to ya-yas hundereds of times. when i was around 20, i would play it over and over. I thought I was a big fan of that album, but apperently not. I guess I dont get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-29 19:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rick326 ()
Date: September 29, 2006 20:00

Midnight Rambler from Yas Yas. Its just raw Stones at their best!!!!!!!!!

Date: September 29, 2006 21:59

doesn't campare to the '73 brussels....but still great

Date: September 29, 2006 22:09

Thanks all for your opinion.

Btw here nummer 2 and 3

2. Midnight Rambler - Brussels whatever (No Comment)
3. Sympathy For The Devil - GYYYO (Man !!! there where MT takes over the Solo of Keith)

Date: September 29, 2006 22:13

YCAGWYW off the love you live is up there as well

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 29, 2006 22:19

Ya ya's is far the best and taylor's dirty bluesy killer lean controlled vibrato is one of the best solos of all time in rock history and its a shame that it is forgotton .

Date: September 29, 2006 22:21

OpenG Wrote:
> Ya ya's is far the best and taylor's dirty bluesy
> killer lean controlled vibrato is one of the best
> solos of all time in rock history and its a shame
> that it is forgotton .

Forgotten !!!!! by who ?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home