Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Goodbye & farewell: end of touring?
Posted by: redrum ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:22

Hi

We saw Bjornulf's comment on another thread regarding this being "the last world tour hitting North America."

Apparently the boys have been saying goodbye onstage longer than usual , like it is indeed the last time.

Normally, I just brush off "Last Time" rumors as hogwash, but when we get a respectable guy like Bjornulf (not a man to speculate wild rumors) hinting such things, it raises the serious question.

I believe that back in 2003 (or thereabouts) there was talk in the Stones camp about no more long world tours. Perhaps this is the case after "Bigger Bang" that the boys won't mount any year, year and 1/2 world tours, but they will continue to perform live on occasion?? Perhaps even mini-tours??

It just doesn't seem to be the nature of the Rolling Stones to quit performing live altogether.

Please chime in on this thread. Any thoughts, comments, concerns....its a bit of a heatbreak personally to think that the longs tours will be done and over in 2007.

redrum

Re: Goodbye & farewell: end of touring?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:27

Maybe this explains the long fireworks at Foxboro

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:29

The end will bring me to my knees. But what can we expect from them? They are human. Not super heroes found in comics. It's like drinking a pint of beer. Know matter how good it tastes you know the end of it is coming as you near the bottom of the glass. Wow. I sound a bit like BV.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:32

the stones don't know if it's the end, so how can anyone else know?

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:38

No it is not the end.. Keith will not allow it to be the end and I read that Charlie wants to keep working because if they stop they will be dead so i think they will keep rolling.. Let's keep these guys going, they can do it. Afterall,
they don't work hard anymore, they have days off, etc. I don't think it is the last tour. So what if they take a bow a little longer it is all for us the fans

Let's keep keeping the faith in the Stones like always..

Let's celebrate that they are still going to....

drummer_dude

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 23, 2006 20:43

People, the major components are in their mid-sixties. And all good things have to come to an end. I think after the European jaunt in 2007 it'll be all over now. My guess is that they'll close out in London.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 23, 2006 21:49

I don't know them or their individual feelings, relationships within the band etc. We know already there are possible medical issues, but it seems they all get something important out of playing together live, and it aint simply money. Unless someone or two are incapacitated, what shall they do, solo shows like Wood's "Fiends" gig mixed with a zillion guest shots with friends? Mick going to get that same need fulfilled from producing the occasional film, or collaborations w/ Dave Stewart? Even Charlie and his Tentet toured '04, their one 'off-tour' year, 'til he was diagnosed with cancer. I think if the Stones are together and able they will likely make a record but cut back the ever increasing length of these tours. Why not? The legendary ones of yore, '69 (US) was a mere month long, '72 -- THE rock n roll event of the year, and the tour went June 1 til July 26.
Yes it will end, and mortality's always getting sooner than later for all of us, but I hope for scaled back, and have been expecting it for 25 years.

Posted by: Gecko ()
Date: September 23, 2006 21:53

I don't see why they would quit. They can either play rock 'n' roll and die, or not play rock 'n' roll and die.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 23, 2006 21:53

Please stop all this doomsday talk . you're depressing me .......

Date: September 23, 2006 22:02

NICOS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe this explains the long fireworks at Foxboro

And according to something I read somewhere the Stones were not responsible for the extra fireworks show

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 23, 2006 22:11

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:31 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 23, 2006 22:17

Yes

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: September 23, 2006 22:39

people talk about them being in theirs 60s as if they're over the hill but i don't see that...

keep in mind being in your 60s with a lot of money is really like being in your 40s...

i just saw charles aznavour live.. he is 82 years old.. his voice sounded better than on the recordings from 40 years ago... he was doing fist pumps and he stood for 2 hours.. he danced etc..

i think if i turn 60 with the diet i'm eating and the lack of exercise i'm getting i would not be able to do a world tour..but these guys have access to medicine we only read about.. preventive medicine ..who knows what else....

so i say stop focusing on their ages...

mick for sure sounds better than ever and looks great..so why would he stop? so then it depends on the other band members i guess.. keith has talked often about not retiring period....

i admit BV's messate concerns me..but my guess is the stones are probably somewhat sick of still being on tour right now much like any band would be after over a year on the road... when they finish the tour they'll stop (i mean when they finish europe 2007) and then they'll decide in the future..

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: September 23, 2006 22:42

only Stones know where to stop. With all due respect I don't believe nobody else knew. They said several times that they'll rock til lthey drop as well as they pointed out many times they don't make such plans as "this will be our last time"

and why should they stop? BV said "message will be clear very soon"

There's one clear message so far and it's - those guys simply kick ass like no one else !!!

it might be the last that big tour. we don't know. I doubt they do.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 23, 2006 22:52

I did not expect them to be here 20 years after Dirty Work, with nary a breakup. They've exceeded all my expectations. Just read reviews from every album/tour since roughly the Beatles' split, if not the lull between Ruby/LSTNT (busts, longer gaps between singles, etc) and like Prodigal Sons returned home the joyous "comeback" Jumpin Jack Flash, and I have one 'zine from '69 with a letter says "Mick is getting to be an old man himself at 26. Everyone knows he could have sung "Let It Bleed" with more energy in 1964..."

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 23, 2006 23:02

A Rolling Stone gathers no moss

They will not stop until they physically have to and they seem to be getting around just fine.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: September 23, 2006 23:20

I would rather see small mini tours, few gigis here, few gigis there. These GIANT Megatours are kinds silly now.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: September 23, 2006 23:34

please explain..what is silly?

they happen to be one of the only groups left in rock and roll that can mount such a tour which is why they are the only ones doing it... there's nothing silly in my mind about playing for as many people as want to hear you....

what i think would be silly is if they played a few club shows a year when the demand is this huge to see them.. how much would they charge a ticket? 10,000$?

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: September 23, 2006 23:37

All the signs point to this being the 'Stones' last big world tour.
When did they play a world tour for as long -

'A Bigger Bang' started Sept.05 and after ploughing its way thru many continents has returned to the USA/Canada for one last hoorah.
The 'Stones' will continue with ABB Tour and finish another European leg by Aug/Sept.07.
By then ABB Tour will have been on the road for nearly 2 Years which is unheard off for a band of their age ,having been to America/Canada 3 times and Europe twice.
The 'Stones' themselves would never announce a farewell tour but all the facts point to this being their last gigantic world tour.
Indeed the name they have picked for the tour is self explanatory.
There have been clear statements over a period of time by stonesdoug and BV that this is indeed the last time and along with other factors one must conclude that this will be the case.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2006 01:35

I just cant talk about it...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nelson ()
Date: September 24, 2006 01:57

summer is gone ,dont need no rerun topics.Stop this farwell tour shit. they will ruin us for another 20 years

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 24, 2006 02:16

Every tour is the last one since 1969, I remember the sadness at the end of the B2B/No Security in 1999, the last european leg was wide open in almost all the venues with 5-10k empty seats each night. The last show had 8,000 empty seats.

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: September 24, 2006 03:19

enough man!the stones are super heroes even now!so i think you should zip it baby!

Date: September 24, 2006 03:31

You're breaking my heart with this BS

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 24, 2006 03:41

I honestly believe they know that they must keep on rolling, even if it is abit slower, scaled down. Maybe just a 2 city tour LOL. I have the feeling that Keith especially lives by the credo that as long as you're moving they can't get to you. In other words these "things" you talk about like age, heatlth issues, ennui, fatigue will indeed creep up on ya if you stop long enough to be able to pay attention to them.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 24, 2006 03:44

I'd rather see 'em go out on top - and, yes, they're still on top of their game. Not perfect, but the best out there.

Don't want to see them being a real embarrassment to themselves. Don't think Mick and Keith do either. If Charlie's ready to quit the world tours, then so be it. He's earned it. I love 'em and wish they could last forever, but, alas, they're only human too.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 24, 2006 09:53

redrum Wrote:
> We saw Bjornulf's comment on another thread
> regarding this being "the last world tour hitting
> North America."

If that's actually what he wrote then it's not too bad. The last WORLD TOUR in the US. Well, that leaves us with US Tours doesn't it? Not bad at all. And we already knew that Charlie won't do world tours anymore after this one. What worries me is the last concert being in Honululu.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 25, 2006 12:23

Is that "the last world tour hitting North America" comment to be connected with the new schedule of ABB tour, ie no more Argentina shows next winter ?

If it is the case, something may have occurred recently - like a formal decision - well it is just a guess.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 25, 2006 12:35

Rockman Wrote:
> I just cant talk about it...

I don't even wanna hear about it ...

C

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 25, 2006 12:39

The clue is in the title, folks - looks like they're going out with A Bigger Bang

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home