Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Smiths
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 16, 2006 09:20

I'm really digging this band at the moment. I had their best of and Louder Than Bombs and I've just purchased Meat Is Murder. I love Morriseys eccentric style of singing and especially his lyrics. Johnny Marr is a wonderful guitarist too. All his work is so understated and perfect.

Is anyone here a fan?

Re: OT: The Smiths
Posted by: RedlandsRodge ()
Date: September 16, 2006 11:10

Yeah The Smiths are great. Try 'Hatful of Hollow' their 2nd album and my favourite. 'The Queen Is Dead' is widely considered their masterpiece.

Marr is a big Keith fan and certainly looks like a mid 60s Keith in certain photos.

Keep visiting [www.world-of-keith-richards.piczo.com]

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: September 16, 2006 11:23

Sorry, think they're very boring. Monotome and 13 in a dozen.

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: September 16, 2006 11:28

I love The Smiths. I agree with RedlandsRodge, The Queen Is Dead is an essential purchase. Morrissey is wrongly thought of as being depressing. I think he writes great lyrics and is very very funny. The title track of The Queen Is Dead being a great example.

Posted by: fleabit ()
Date: September 16, 2006 11:31

a truly dreadful band

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 16, 2006 11:45

The Smiths have inspired some of my fave performers, and I love Morrisey's album titles. Johnny Marr is good too, but the Smiths themsleves are horrendous to me.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: September 16, 2006 12:03

Hmmm... there are some mixed feeling towards them here then!

I personally think they're great. RedlandsRodge is correct. Johnny Marr had a look of Keith circa 65-66. It's the hair.

Hatful Of Hollow is next up for me amd hopefully soon after I'll have all of them.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 16, 2006 13:43

Best British band of the eighties, Mozz a genius. I saw him in 99 during his wilderness years, fanatastic.

About time The Smiths released a proper live album as Rank is rank (and of course a Faces live album too to replace Coast To Coast).

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 16, 2006 15:26

Fantastic band...and Mozza remains one of the finest songwriters (and performers) on the planet.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: September 16, 2006 17:03

The Smiths, stylistically, lyrically, and musically, were the most significant band of the 1980's. Johnny Marr took a lot of his cues from Keith and Brian . . .

Date: September 16, 2006 17:18

ANd Johnny Marr went through a HUGE Keith Richards phase in the mid-1980s. Check out pictures of Marr from 1985-1986 and you will see he is emulating Keiths mid-60s look and stage presence. See here: [shop.gaffa.dk]

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: September 16, 2006 17:23

The Smiths, in a word.... SUCK

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 17, 2006 02:14

neptune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Smiths, stylistically, lyrically, and
> musically, were the most significant band of the
> 1980's

utter drivel

significant to who exactly? some student bed wetters without girlfriends? that's the only feckers i can remember liking em

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 17, 2006 03:37

Love 'em! One of my favorite bands after the Stones!

Date: September 21, 2006 16:29

andy js Wrote:

> utter drivel
>
> significant to who exactly? some student bed
> wetters without girlfriends? that's the only
> feckers i can remember liking em

Who did you like then? Wham? Bannanarama? or was it Culture Club?

They were the best band of the 80's. End of

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 21, 2006 16:35

hated them with a passion, when they were around in the 80's-

as i've matured and my musical tastes have widened, i've grown to appreciate and enjoy alot of their material.

Marr's superb playing and Morrisey's intelligent and humourous lyrics, particularily on tracks such as, 'How Soon Is Now' & 'There Is A Light...",
are a joy.
It's not all good- and it's not for everyone...
he's a very English songwriter.

Date: September 21, 2006 17:11

Who did you prefer Adrian?

I've only really got into The Smiths in the past year or so. I always knew and liked tunes such as Panic, How Soon Is Now etc, but never thought i'd own anything by them.

Maybe it's just a phase, but it's pretty much Smiths, Smiths and more Smiths on my hi-fi at the moment.

I bought the 7" of The Killers When We Were Young yesterday though. Its getting scratched already! I've decided to only purchase vinyl from now on, but I'm thinking the novelty will wear off. CD's are so much more convinient.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 21, 2006 17:22

The Smiths are a "hate them or love them" band. Even though their musical style isn't my bag, I've always really liked them. But, I much prefer the Moz solo albums. Your Aresenal is great and his last two are very good also.

Date: September 21, 2006 17:27

in the 80's i was listening to alot of ska/ 2-tone.... Madness,Specials,
The Beat, Ian Dury etc, etc

was at Madstock @ Finsbury Park, on that mental august day in 1992,
when the ground literally shook (the legendary Madstock Earthquake),
and Morrisey got bottled off stage.

The anticipation, that day, for Madness to hit the stage , for the first time in 6-7 years, was something i've never experienced before or since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-21 17:27 by Adrian-L.

Date: September 21, 2006 21:22

Big Al Wrote:

> Who did you like then? Wham? Bannanarama? or was
> it Culture Club?
>
> They were the best band of the 80's. End of

put it this way. i'd rather listen to any of them than the @#$%& Smiths!

bunch of fey arse

i was listening then to the same as i listen to now. rock, rock n roll, punk, dub, electronica blah blah blah. anything but fey nancy boy student bedsit bollocks

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: September 22, 2006 01:03

They made some great music. No doubt about it. Open up your ears and LISTEN!!!!

Date: September 22, 2006 12:14

no. close your ears and forget em. they were shit

i listened when they came out. i listened hard, and i laughed them off

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: September 22, 2006 12:46

I know they mean a helluva lot to many people, but I have to say I think the smiths are bloody awful... Don't like anything about them really...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: September 22, 2006 13:22

to be fair to em. they did mean a lot to some people. mainly students, who were sitting alone in their grey room, writing bad poetry, making greenpeace badges and carving their ex-lovers name into their arms whilst they're friends from Uni were out drinking jack daniels and copping off with any trollop they could whilst listening to GNR or something similar

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 22, 2006 13:38

I was a builder and most of the people I worked with loved the Smiths.

Date: September 22, 2006 14:57

Drinking Jack Daniels, copping off with trollops and listening to Guns 'n' Roses? Uni students? Most people I knew who enjoyed those sorts of activities dropped out of school at 16!

The Smiths were a cultured and intelligent band and many young people back in the 80's were drawn into Morrissey’s way of thinking, but to suggest that all their fans were writing bad poetry and making Green Peace badges is absolute shite.

The GR is spot on.

Anyway, how did we get onto this? I started this thread to enquire as to whether there were many Smiths fans here in the hope we could strike up some good conversation. Since WHEN did the fans of the group become the main subject matter? Who cares about what the fans were like, my post is about THE BAND

Date: September 22, 2006 16:18

Nah. i think i was spot on

the yogurt knitters loved em. the rest of us just fell about laughing when they appeared on TOTP when Mozza had that big bush hanging out of his arse

Date: September 22, 2006 16:22

andy js Wrote:
> Nah. i think i was spot on
>
> the yogurt knitters loved em. the rest of us just
> fell about laughing when they appeared on TOTP
> when Mozza had that big bush hanging out of his
> arse

No you are not! I'm a fan and I'm not any of the things you've described. I rather like Guns 'n' Roses too as it happens. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. At least we both like the Stones!

Date: September 22, 2006 16:42

never cared much for Stephen Morrisey's solo work.
Though i make an exception, for 'Everyday is Like Sunday',
-a beautiful, haunting song which sends
a shiver down my spine, whenever i hear it.

Morrisey is an English curio, he's a bit of an enigma and he guards his private life and his sexuality with a vengeance.

However, alot of the lyrics in his songs, the imagery in the videos, and certainly a fair proportion of his fanbase, hint at homosexual tendancies.

A great outspoken wit, with integrity and passion for his beliefs.

Loved his retort, aimed in the direction of UK chat show host,
Richard Madeley, after a recent spat:-

"a little bit rich, coming from someone who married his own mother",
lol!!

Date: September 22, 2006 17:56

I like his last two solo albums but lyrically; he's almost becoming a parody of himself. One of his recent songs, You Have Killed Me is just so OTT. Everything he records now seems to me anyway, to be an exadurated take on the kind of stuff he used to do so much better with the Smiths. There was always a subtlety to his lyrics and delivery, now it's all so in your face.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home