Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any word AT ALL about "Memory Hotel"???
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 10, 2006 20:01

The disc of outtake songs tobe released in the late nineties. What info is out on this one?

Why was it shelved?
How close to deadline was it drawn back?
Which songs was to be on it?
How many songs?
etc.
etc.

JumpingKentFlash

Re: Any word AT ALL about "Memory Hotel"???
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 11, 2006 00:42

You probaby mean the VL and BtB outtakes album, right? I was really looking forward to this album that never came, I read an interview with Bill Wyman in 1999 or 2000 in which he said that the album was not released because of Mick Jagger`s perfectionism, he said that Mick refused to release anything unfinished. I do not know if it is true but it sounds plausible.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 11, 2006 01:46

I bet it was better than anything off Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, B2B and ABB... Damn.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 11, 2006 06:11

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:28 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 11, 2006 12:31

Another story I heard was that the desastrous sales of the No Security live album led to the decision to shelve the Memory Hotel album, as both Virgin as their label and the Stones themselves did not see any commercial potential in an archive release at that point. Mick's refusal to release anything unfinished is a well-known fact, but Mick knew the material, so there was no reason to veto against the release in the last minute. So why do you compile an album of "unfinished" material and drop it in the last minute when you are against the release of unfinished material at all? Does not make sense to me.

Date: September 11, 2006 12:47

It's also weird that BV listed the news (May 1999) on May 21st and it was due out on May 31st. There would have been no time to do the PR for it. And IORR is always one of the first with the news. So it must have been announced on May 21st or May 20th at the earliest. It would've been a weird thing to do.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 11, 2006 13:12

i wanted that too. they should release it now

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2006 14:07

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's also weird that BV listed the news (May 1999)
> on May 21st and it was due out on May 31st. There
> would have been no time to do the PR for it. And
> IORR is always one of the first with the news. So
> it must have been announced on May 21st or May
> 20th at the earliest. It would've been a weird
> thing to do.

what was also very strange was that even though the release date appeared to be imminent, there was no cover art ever made public nor was a track-listing ever confirmed. Its prety much unheard of (even as far back as 1999) for that information not to be widely available.

I heard a few titles mentioned a few weeks earlier, but the general consensus was that they were bogus. None of the titles matched songs that had been documented as having been recorded for the last couple of studio albums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-11 14:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 11, 2006 14:20

perhaps Bv will shed more light?

Date: September 11, 2006 14:23

Check out June news on the news section. It also says that the album is delayed, and that was the last we ever heard of it...

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 11, 2006 15:54

I quite like cirrhosis's theory.
T may or may not be true...but he way the Stones keep bits and pieces of ideas and unfinished tracks kicking around for years as raw materiual for future use would support this reasoning.
Maybe the explanation is simpler. Maybe it was a good idea that got played around with for a while but just died by mutual consent of all those involved and didn't happen.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: September 11, 2006 16:54

retired_dog Wrote:
> So why do
> you compile an album of "unfinished" material and
> drop it in the last minute when you are against
> the release of unfinished material at all? Does
> not make sense to me.

It could have also been something the record label was exploring as an idea, on their own, and then they decided to drop it. It's possible, and it's happened before. The first attempt to release Beatles studio out-takes, was an album called "Sessions" in the mid-1980s, put together by people at EMI, which got as far as having a track listing, catalog number and a cover design, even liner notes were written and a release date assigned, all of this BEFORE the three surviving Beatles even heard anything at all about the project. People were running up and down the hallways of EMI planning this thing like it was a done deal, and the Beatles never even knew. And as soon as the Beatles heard about the proposed album, they made EMI drop it immediately.

As far as what happened to Memory Hotel goes, I certainly don't know, but what happened with the Beatles in the case above is well documented. So who knows, it might conceivably have been something like that. Or something else entirely.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 11, 2006 17:46

the Sessions disc of the Beatles was issued on boot CD - and I think that helped to propel the surviving Beatles to launch the spate of Anthology albums in the mid-90.s...

Date: September 12, 2006 12:31

The "Sessions" disc was the one that turned into "The Beatles - Compleat" if I remember it al right.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: September 14, 2006 00:17

Excuse me... what is "Memory Hotel"?

Date: September 14, 2006 00:27

....it's just a hemory of a dream that used to be.....

Date: September 14, 2006 14:30

StonesTod Wrote:
> ....it's just a hemory of a dream that used to
> be.....

Hehe. Good answer.
I got a reply from a dude called Mike at Virgin. Here's his mail (Nothing new at all):

Dear Kent,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately we have no information regarding an album by that name, however when doing a Google search on the album I found information regarding a song called Memory Hotel, and the link is here for your information - [www.songfacts.com]

I am sorry I cannot be of further assistance, but please feel free to contact us again should you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Mike
Customer Services
Virgin Retail Ltd
[Tel] - 0845 2777 447

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 14, 2006 14:42

No wonder "MIke" couodnt find anything of note on this album

Type in "Memory Hotel" + "Stones" in a google search and pretty much all you find is a load of articles which seem to think that that is the title of the song on Black and Blue. Even articles by people who have gone to the trouble of transcribing all of the lyrics to the song, but cant seem to get the title right.

Idiots

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: September 14, 2006 15:46

The guy was from Virgin retail (those are the Virgin CD stores) not from Virgin Records. He's not going to know anything. The two are completely unrelated.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: September 14, 2006 19:18

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-29 08:30 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: September 14, 2006 20:32

Maybe the release of Memory Hotel was cancelled with the intention of holding those songs for the proposed box set of unreleased recordings that was planned for 2002 release, instead of what became Forty Licks. I don't know if in early-mid 1999 the Stones were already thinking ahead a couple of years, but it is possible that they felt that instead of tying a "from the vaults" album to a short 3 1/2 week European tour, that they could do a full world tour behind a larger box set of unreleased material, which is reportedly what they were planning in 2001 for them to do in 2002-03.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 14, 2006 21:42

Since this was announced around the time of the Memory Motel single from No Security, what are the chances it was just going to be a CD single with a few surprises (Virgin Japan issued Keith's Eileen single with six tracks on it only a few years earlier) and the advance buzz blew out of control in those early days of internet rumors? It seems unlikely the Stones would issue a title like Memory Hotel when it is so close to the title of a song and their most recent single. Has BV ever commented on this item since that time?

Date: September 14, 2006 21:44

Rocky - my sources are solid - it was most definitely in the can and readied for release.....whether under that particular title or not is another question....

Date: September 14, 2006 21:46

That's cool, StonesTod. Is it from 1999 or was this the rumored "Leftovers" double disc or box set being bandied about in 2001 that no less a luminary than Ronnie Wood commented on it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-14 21:52 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: September 14, 2006 21:53

leftovers was the other working title - yeah it was in the 2000/01 timeframe, but the NS lack of sales freaked everyone out....

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 14, 2006 22:13

Rocky,

The American Eileen had 5 tracks, do you know what was the 6th track?

Date: September 14, 2006 22:42

1.) Eileen [single edit]
2.) Eileen [album version]
3.) Key to the Highway [from Johnnie Johnson's "Johnny B. Bad" CD]
4.) Gimme Shelter [live at The Town and Country Club, London 12/92]
5.) How I Wish [same as Track 4]
6.) Wicked As It Seems [same as Track 4]

Re: Eileen CD Single
Date: September 14, 2006 22:42

[deleted duplicate post.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-14 22:43 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: September 15, 2006 00:15

Rocky Dijon Wrote:
> That's cool, StonesTod. Is it from 1999 or was
> this the rumored "Leftovers" double disc or box
> set being bandied about in 2001 that no less a
> luminary than Ronnie Wood commented on it?

There was talk of a boxed set to promote a world tour for 2001. According to Record Collector at the time, the working title of the tour was to be "2001 : a Stones odyssey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home