Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: U2 recording new album with Rick Rubin
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 9, 2006 05:48

A more rocking album this time?
Anyway, another monster hit in the can...

[www.billboard.com]

Re: OT: U2 recording new album with Rick Rubin
Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: September 9, 2006 06:03

I don't know if this is all good or a litle bad too. One thing that is great is that they are recording a new album and seem to really, really want to put it out early as all news say that they are hard at work for quite some time now. So there's a big possiblity we get a new U2 album next year! WOOHOO!!!

However I seem to be in a very small group that think Rubin is a good producer but not as fantastic and amazing as many say he is. He doesn't really have a particular style. So it's dificult to know what we are going to get.

I hope this next one is a hit again. When ATYCLB came out I couldn't believe how well recieved it was and how big of a hit it was, never and I mean NEVER did I expect that HTDAAB would be even more well recieved. Now again it's hard to think that they can top the quality and the comercial size hit of their two last albums but that's one of the exciting things about U2. You never know what to expect! I hope they come up wth more great songs like Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Love And Peace, Stuck In A Moment, City Of Blinding Lights, Kite, Miracle Drug and so on.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 9, 2006 06:44

Just for clarity, can I say this one more time?
That band sucks. Unless of course you think that you can improve the world by sticking to your own habits.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 9, 2006 07:25

I wouldn't say the band sucks but they definitely benefit from the fact they exist in a music vacuum.

Back in the sixties/seventees you had lots of great bands like Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, Kinks. U2 would have been the fifth best band at best back then but they stand out these days because the rock and roll scene is so lousy. You have U2 and the latter day Stones. There isn't another band you can refer to as any kind of a supergroup.

Of course if they sucked themselves they wouldn't stand out so they do deserve some credit for being what I would term a supergroup-lite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-09 07:36 by FrankM.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: September 9, 2006 07:33

Don't quite understand the adoration for Rubin. I actually think some of his production work is bad (e.g. Cash American IV). Wandering Spirit is a great disc, but there is nothing special about the sound. Similar IMO to Bridges = tinny CD/digital sound. The Stones really haven't had a decent production sound since Jimmy Miller. They need to go for somebody more organic. Daniel Lanois, for instance.

Will be interesting to see if Rubin is a plus or a minus to the (to my ears) flat sound of U2.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 9, 2006 07:42

U2 is horrible, they've been that way since '85.

Rubin can be a great producer, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are proof of this.
But his roots in rap music is his downfall...see the Beastie Boys.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 9, 2006 08:01

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 06:37 by Beelyboy.

Date: September 9, 2006 09:41

he's a good producer and actually he background is mainly metal music

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 9, 2006 13:27

I think he's going to do a good work with U2. If they'll rock this time, they really could eventually make a good album. is strange how most of us Stones' fans (including myself) would really like to have a Stones' record produced by Rubin, while most Peppers' fans quite dislike Rubin's effort on "Stadium Arcadium" (which is considered by them a very overproduced record). I really like that record, but maybe I should listen to those songs performed live, in order to realize if Rubin's production really is an added value. Wondering Spirit is great, though!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 10, 2006 15:01

here's the latest on the new U2, Xmas cash-in, compilation:-
...and to make matters worse, they've got the cheek to try and cover
The Skids, with bloody,
Green Day.
[www.nme.com]

U2 have announced the title of their forthcoming 'Best Of' compilation due out next month.

The band have named the release 'U218 Singles', which will come complete with a bonus live CD featuring 10 songs from their 2005 Vertigo tour in Milan, reports U2.com.

As previously reported on NME.COM, the compilation will feature two new tracks produced by Johnny Cash collaborator Rick Rubin.

One of these will include their Skids collaboration with Green Day, 'The Saints Are Coming'.

All proceeds from the song, due out on November 6, will go to Hurricane Katrina charity Music Rising.

The other new song is still to be revealed as is the compilation's full track listing.

Otherwise the LP, which is due out on November 20, will feature 16 of the band's best known songs.

U2 have also announced plans to release a DVD of the compilation at a later date, featuring promo videos of each track.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 10, 2006 15:03

nothin' from UB40?

2 1 2 0

Date: October 10, 2006 15:37

Don't U2 already have two Best Of CDs out????? Why another? Oh, right. $$$$$$$$

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 10, 2006 19:21

They're leaving Island for strong differences with the record label. It's an end contract release: 16 hits, 2 new songs and a bonus live album.
Mercury/Universal will be their new record company.

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: October 10, 2006 19:28

I guess no new studio album then??? It's just a 'Best Of' cd with one new U2 song on it??

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 10, 2006 20:11

Rolling Stoner, I THINK they are indeed recording a whole new album with Rubin. From what I understand this is kind of a teaser to spruce up the Big Hit disc. On the Net news it says that they are holed up working on a new album. They supposeldy want to put one out as soon as possible. In 2007. I also find it strange that they are already putting another Big Hits out, since those other ones are still so recent. And those were not merely 2 albums; they were two DOUBLE albums.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 10, 2006 20:58

Richard from Canada Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't U2 already have two Best Of CDs out????? Why
> another? Oh, right. $$$$$$$$

Yeah, and the Stones just keep touring, And why???? Oh right $$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 10, 2006 21:02

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> I also find it strange that
> they are already putting another Big Hits out,
> since those other ones are still so recent. And
> those were not merely 2 albums; they were two
> DOUBLE albums.

No..the reason as given by georgelicks says is quite correct. Its more a contractual obligation to get out of their deal with Island than anything else.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 10, 2006 21:39

As a big U2 fan, I find this cd a bit redundant, but I understand the reason for it. In 1998, U2 agreed with the record label to release 3 best of albums. The first came out that year and covered 1980-1990. The second of these came out in 2002 and covered 1990-2000. Everyone assumed that the third of these would cover 2000-2010 and would not see the light of day until 2011 or 2012.

As Georgelicks and Gazza stated, it would seem they are releasing it now to fulfill their obligation to Island and move on to Mercury. From a commercial standpoint, it's a fairly smart move to release this now. This new best of is coinciding with the just released coffee table book U2 By U2, their equivalent to According To The Rolling Stones, The Beatles Anthology or The Pythons By The Pythons.

The 2 previous best ofs were available as single discs or as double cds with a second disc of bsides from the decade that the main disc covered. Besides the 2 new songs, the thing that has cought my interest with this new best of is that there will be a 2 disc version that will come with a 10 song live album from their 2005 show in Milan. Besides their 2000 fan club only live album, this is U2's first live album since the 1/2 live Rattle and Hum in 1988 or the fully live album Under A Blood Red Sky in 1983. From my standpoint, I will be buying a live U2 album that comes with a cd of singles hits from over the years instead of the other way around.

The focus on this best of is singles, so songs like Bad that were on the previous best ofs will not be included. It should include recent singles like vertigo and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, as well as Walk On which did not appear on the previous best of. This cd will be a strong catalog seller, as it will pick up 16 of their biggest singles from their entire career.

As far as Rick Rubin producing the new U2 album, I personally asked him that question on August 31st when I ran into him at a Red Hot Chili Peppers show here in LA at the Forum. He said he hoped to do it, that he really would love to. He didn't let on that the following week he would be in London producing a couple songs for them, but at the time, I don't think he knew and may still not know if he will produce their next album. Someone posted here a week ago that U2 was not real happy with the results in working with Rubin, but I have no idea about that. Personally I don't expect a new U2 album until around March 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-10 21:47 by Halup.

Posted by: Chav Watch ()
Date: October 10, 2006 21:53

u2 suck

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 11, 2006 13:13

KSIE Wrote:
> Don't quite understand the adoration for Rubin.
> I actually think some of his production work is
> bad (e.g. Cash American IV). Wandering Spirit is
> a great disc, but there is nothing special about
> the sound.

Maybe it's that what makes him great? He is one who does not try to create something which is not there, unlike other producers do.

> Similar IMO to Bridges = tinny
> CD/digital sound.

Listen to the vinyl version of Wandering Spirit and you'll hear why CD sound sucked at the time.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 11, 2006 13:43

Rick Rubin is a David Briggs style producer - it's more about feel and getting the very best out of an artist than it is about sound. He's a lot more focused than Briggs though. Love 'em or loathe 'em, the guy gave us cutting edge hip hop (when the genre was still fresh as opposed to the sad minstrel show it's turned into), Johnny Cash's greatest albums since the two prison albums, Mick Jagger's greatest solo album and - ah - the Neil Diamond album (which I didn't like because don't like The Diamond). He might wring another Achtung Baby/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop (their most interesting albums, and, for me, their best, because they don't sound like typical U2 - I can't abide the rest) out of them. Although I can't see Bono going along with it.

Date: October 11, 2006 13:44

retired_dog Wrote:
> KSIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Don't quite understand the adoration for Rubin.
>
> > I actually think some of his production work is
> > bad (e.g. Cash American IV). Wandering Spirit
> is
> > a great disc, but there is nothing special
> about
> > the sound.
>
> Maybe it's that what makes him great? He is one
> who does not try to create something which is not
> there, unlike other producers do.
>
> > Similar IMO to Bridges = tinny
> > CD/digital sound.
>
> Listen to the vinyl version of Wandering Spirit
> and you'll hear why CD sound sucked at the time.

Care to expand on that? I haven't heard the vinyl.

Date: October 11, 2006 13:45

Hairball Wrote:
> U2 is horrible, they've been that way since '85.
>
> Rubin can be a great producer, the Red Hot Chili
> Peppers are proof of this.
> But his roots in rap music is his downfall...see
> the Beastie Boys.

His downfall!!!???? Rap MADE Rick Rubin. And he hasn't produced rap in the longest time.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: October 11, 2006 19:14

U2 will not provide Rubin with an artistic challenge. He'll really just have to press the record button while Bono gives us some pseudo-intellectual shouting and the edge gives us that riff. Despite their personality clashes the Stones could give Rubin a real challenge and vice versa.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 11, 2006 19:35

Someone forwarded this U2 joke to me this morning.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bono is at a U2 concert in Glasgow when he asks the audience for some quiet. Then, in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands.

He says into the microphone, "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

A voice from near the front pierces the silence, "Well, stop @#$%& clapping then!"

Posted by: Sir Oliver ()
Date: October 13, 2006 15:06

You can listen to a stream of the studio version of U2/Greenday "The Saints Are Coming" produced by Rick Rubin on U2.com:
go to [www.u2.com] and click on Saints Coming Closer and a player will popup.
direct link to player:
[www.u2.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-10-13 15:19 by Sir Oliver.

Date: October 13, 2006 15:19

thanks but no thanks-
if i want to hear that great song, by Stu Adamson and The Skids, i'll listen to the original not a butchered cover version, by two of the most consistenty overrated and obnoxious bands in the world today.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 13, 2006 16:52

..all I know is that "One" is perhaps the greatest song ever written, so they get some props........Bono's preaching nonwithstanding.

Date: October 13, 2006 16:54

Rip This Wrote:
> ..all I know is that "One" is perhaps the greatest
> song ever written

it's the greatest song they've ever writtem or ever will-
but i wouldn't rate it as the best song ever.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: October 13, 2006 17:05

come on "one"'s a great song! we can all agree on that i hope.

rick rubin is a great producer..go to wikipedia punch in his name and see all the albums's he's produced.. there's a lot of good stuff there... from the early beastie boys/run dmc stuff..the cult's electric, slayer, tom petty , johnny cash, red hot chilli peppers...

personally, the cult's electric is my pick.. what a great rockin' album..they just don't make them like that anymore

i wish just WISH the stones would hire him but its been chronicled to death on this site why that will never happen: Mick Jagger's EEGGOO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home