Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Glasgow!
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 31, 2006 16:50

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I have some shows as well yf you are intereested in any please tell me!!

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: August 31, 2006 17:05

im here. Glasgow was horrible, even from row 2. Sheffield was dynamite. just look at the set lists. Dont even get me talking about the mudddy stodgy glasgow sound.

couldnt believe it when the broadcast sound was unlistenable;as if the poor sound was from some problem at source, not the stadium roof etc

if keith and ron playing jarringly discordant echoey guitars, the solos being butchered and the band forgetting the arangments is your cup of tea then glasgow was great...

juiced up and sloppy

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 31, 2006 17:24

> couldnt believe it when the broadcast sound was unlistenable;as if the poor sound was from some problem at source, not the stadium roof etc

As I wrote in another thread, much to much compression, too much echo, guitars too low in the mix, bass to boomy. Cut's are at times unmotivated (just have the gap before Tumblin' D in mind). On "Oh No Not You Again" the background singers are nearly up to front as Mick is. Sometimes I thought was the hack is Mick singing there? Indeed it's the backing vocal that's close to Mick.

Performancewise I have my own mind. To make it short, I don't see the performance less optimistic like some do here. Seems that some pee in their pants because they got an European "sbd" recording.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 31, 2006 17:24

I just got the broadcast from Rocks Off, thanks Gazza! 2 years ago, or, make that 2 months ago, I'd have to buy it from some bootleg-business far away.

Date: August 31, 2006 17:26

rknuth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems that some pee in their
> pants because they got an European "sbd"
> recording.

I pee in my pants for every Stones recording I hear

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: August 31, 2006 18:25

I was amazed when I heard that show! It's one of the best performances I have heard from The Stones. That was probably the best show of the tour, I only wish BBC had aired Sympathy. The whole band seems to be in synch throughout the entire show. Ronnie's solos on Sway were perfect as was Mick on Oh No, Not You Again and Keith on Satisfaction, Charlie is obviously one of the reasons the band played so well, I mean he just pushes them a lot. JJF and She's So Cold are spitting energy. The whole band is full of energy. If we get a live album from this tour I hope we get some tracks from that show! Great @#$%& show!

Date: August 31, 2006 18:37

I was amazed too, I just listened to some songs!
Because....usually a recording of the show you attended, doesn't sound that good, as you recall it, but this Glasgow broadcast was SO great. SHe's So Cold sounded like if it was from their very hidden and secret "European Undercover Tour 1983".

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 31, 2006 21:06

Gazza Wrote:
> hickorywind Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Glasgow audience contributed hugely to this
> geat
> > show. The fans were well up for it and this
> > obviously spurred the band on to perform so
> well.
>
>
> they always do. Glasgow is the best audience in
> the UK by a mile.
>
> Its no coincidence that of the 30 Dylan shows I've
> been at over the last two decades or more, about 3
> of the top 5 shows I've seen have been in Glasgow.

Gazza, you can get a job with the tourist board up here anytime!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 31, 2006 23:45

"Glasgow - Miles Better"

Does that ring a bell?

The Dylan shows in question were 1995, 1998 and the Barrowlands one in 2004.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: September 1, 2006 00:14

Gazza Wrote:
> hickorywind Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Glasgow audience contributed hugely to this
> geat
> > show. The fans were well up for it and this
> > obviously spurred the band on to perform so
> well.
>
>
> they always do. Glasgow is the best audience in
> the UK by a mile.
>
> Its no coincidence that of the 30 Dylan shows I've
> been at over the last two decades or more, about 3
> of the top 5 shows I've seen have been in Glasgow.

Hi Gazza ,

I'm lucky to have been at every Stones Tour playing Glasgow since 1965 and every Dylan Glasgow gig since 1989. Only the Ahoy Rotterdam crowd on the Licks Tour gave Glasgow a close run.As for Bob Dylan the Barrowland gig is already legendary if only the Stones would play there (again) they were there in 1964!!

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: September 1, 2006 00:34

Been listening to the Glasgow CD and reflecting on the gig.

Of the 19 songs played there were 7 that a casual fan wouldn`t know.

After all the moaning about warhorses I think that the Stones do try to mix sets up a bit so that there`s enough hits for the majority of ticket holders whilst still doing some less well-known material for the more rabid fan.

By the way ....the 7 less well-known songs (ie not on 40 licks) were....ONNYA, Sway, Live With Me, Rain Fall Down, Slipping Away, Before They Make Me Run, Rough Justice.

It doesn't come across on the BBC recording but around me the energy of the crowd fell for most of the rarer tracks.....though Rain Fall Down and Rough Justice did get a good reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-01 00:34 by GuessWho.

Date: September 1, 2006 00:46

hickorywind Wrote:
> I'm lucky to have been at every Stones Tour
> playing Glasgow since 1965 and every Dylan Glasgow
> gig since 1989.

So, this means you saw Stones in Glasgow 1971? Wow! Did they do Wild Horses or Can't You Hear Me Knocking? Memories?
...I just visited your town, for ABB.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 1, 2006 01:03

I think Guess Who has a point that is more or less corroborated by this "rating" of the Cardiff setlist which appeared in the Echo (a local newspaper). I met first-timers after Twickers who told me they'd heard exactly what they went there to hear - i.e., the warhorses - and they were really over the moon.

JJF - 7/10
IORR - 8/10
ONNYA - 5/10
LSTNT - 7/10
LWM - 8/10
SOL - 7/10
MR - 9/10
TD - 8/10
SA - 5/10
BTMMR - 6/10
MY - 8/10
RJ - 6/10
SMU - 7/10
HTW - 10/10
SFD - 10/10
PIB - 4/10 (???!!!)
BS - 9/10
YCAGWYW - 7/10
Satisf, - 8/10

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 1, 2006 01:19

I listened to half this show on the radio. I had to stop when Slipping Away started and the intro was clumsy as ever. I just expected the usual, and i hate to see a totally unecessary third guitarist on this great song. But that aside....

The guitars were better than I expected. Perticularly Keith really. e'g on Dice. But we just get so excited when the guitars aren't a mess that we start raving that it's a graet performance. It's a good performance by their current standards. I think Charlie was fairly great throughout what I heard.

Sway was just WAY TOO FAST. it may have been played ok and Ronnie might have done a good job at getting somewhere close to good, but the rushed pace completely ruins the whole point of the song. A sway. Not a hurry.

She's So Cold was good/ok.

Nice to hear Keith on Ruby T.

Now, the best of what I heard was RFD. That's where they came alive and were not just performing a song. Not just doing another rendition.
Now, how about if they'd included a few more from the album at that quality. RFD is not a classic. Not as good as eg Out Of Control as a live song. But if they could have just worked a few more of the BBang's mid-tempo songs to this quality then each gig would have something a bit more special and the whole tour might have not seemd like a sub-standard, recycled Licks tour.

Let Me Down Slow should work. Biggest Mistake. And my favourite for a good live vibe is Sweet Neo-Con. Like RFD, something to get the juices flowing..... something to get Jagger involved vocally, and chance for some harmonica.

Yup, as the band were in good sync., it particularly showed how unecessary and actually obtrusive all the back-ups were. They detracted from a basically solid, guitar-based sound.

Finally..... this shows that the band were playing quite well. Others say suberbly! But many who have gone to this and other shows say that the sound was bad and although it was a good occasion, they could not really enjoy it for the music. So, isn't it reall a bloody shame........or bloody disgrace.... that you can pay big money to see a band ........... and come away not having heard or enjoyed the music ....... especially if the band was actually good.

The people who are enjoying this show the most are those downloading it for free who were never there. They can recreate the live experience.

Many of those who had the live experience do not get the benefit of good sound and a good performance - and many of them come away at least mildly disappointed. And they paid the money to make the show go ahead.

Rough Justice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-01 01:26 by Four Stone Walls.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home