Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Real Live + Mick Taylor
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 27, 2006 21:47

In honor of the return of his Bobness on record this week i've been pulling out some choice recordings

Bob Dylan/George Harrisson - The Columbia Recordings
Street Legal
I still smoke - Live in Melbourne 1978

But the best is the vinyl of Real Live from 1984 with our old pal MT, he really plays great on that record, its a summer night record, so get the tequila out and enjoy two masters together. I particularly love the solo on "I and I", so respectful of MT,even when Bob cuts in, Bob is so pleased, he cuts MT slack for a second solo, then they releasd this cut on a major label record !!.
Sorry but they don't make live albums like that anymore.

Also did anyone ever notice before "Licence to Kill" MT plays the Gimme Shelter riff smiling smiley to himself, they also didnt cut it off the recording.

Re: Real Live + Mick Taylor
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 27, 2006 21:55

I just noticed MT = Modern Times, what can it all mean................

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 28, 2006 00:02

Must listen again for the GS riff obn LTK.

By the way, most Dylan fans here say that most of the boots of that '84 Euro tour are better than Real Live, (which I like).

He hasn't realeased a live album since, has he? Pity in a way. He really can still create a 'real live' atmosphere. Some other bands just realease an official live recording each tour, which do them very little credit as a 'real live' band.!

Wish Dylan would pick up a guitar again on stage - his hands can't be as bad as Keith's.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2006 00:28

he's released plenty of live albums since - 3 of the Bootleg series (from 1964, 1966 and 1975), plus Dylan & The Dead (recorded 1987, released 1989) and the Japanese import "Live 1961-2000" which was something of a live "compilation" released in 2001, but which included some hard to find live performances and 3 unreleased songs from Portsmouth, England in 2000.

The story about him not playing guitar due to arthritis is speculation. He's playing guitar on the new album. Its been also stated that he just simply wanted a keyboard player in his band and decided to do it himself.

Real Live is a decent enough record, but not a good representation of that tour (I was at 2 of the 3 shows used for the live album and the shows were better than the official release suggests). For the real gem of that tour, get the Barcelona show - an incredible performance.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 28, 2006 01:04

Yup Gazza, I know about the Dead one! - and the Bootleg stuff (which is all 'old' recordings). But he's done nothing to document his tours since '84. But good to hear about that Jap import.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: August 28, 2006 17:17

YEs, the 1987 tour was released offisially, as Gazza wrote above!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 28, 2006 17:20

unfortunately the picked the wrong songs. The Dead assembled an album of performances from the tour (which Bob rejected) which was much superior to the official album.

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: August 28, 2006 17:31

There's also an official/unofficial "build it yourself" live album. Columbia issued several record stores promo freebies in the late 90s with three or four recent live cuts on each--Love Sick, Things Have Changed, Blind Willie, etc. Put them all together and you have a quite nice full-length live album.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1457
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home