Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Opinions on A Bigger Bang... in the future
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 24, 2006 22:52

We've been talking recently how some Stones records (like Exile and Dirty Work) were received the moment they were released and how they are today. What do you think: how ABB will be assessed in 20-30 years from now. Assuming that this is the last Stones studio album, will it be considered a classic confirming that the Stones are (were) the best band in the world or rather a swansong, poor attempt of a band that should've stopped playing long time ago?

Re: Opinions on A Bigger Bang... in the future
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:02

I think it'll hold up OK. Let It Be is no White Album is it, but it's not derided. I think ABB is at least as good as Let It Be.

People will appreciate the Stones far more when they're gone. They will go down in history as the longest lasting rock'n'roll band ever just for starters. Add to that that we'll never see another double act like Mick'n'Keef and then keep going. I think all their post 70s output will be seen in a different light.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:12

I don't think it will be seen as embarrassing, but it will not be much remembered.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:16

I think its a better work than will be accepted by critics / reviewers. All bands are compared to their peak yrs. Its been critiqued better than past few albums 7 I think thats accurate myself. I quite like ABB much. Personally i think its best since Tattoo & I'm a big VL fan. MEZ

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:16

rebelrebel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it'll hold up OK. Let It Be is no White
> Album is it, but it's not derided. I think ABB is
> at least as good as Let It Be.
>
> People will appreciate the Stones far more when
> they're gone. They will go down in history as the
> longest lasting rock'n'roll band ever just for
> starters. Add to that that we'll never see another
> double act like Mick'n'Keef and then keep going. I
> think all their post 70s output will be seen in a
> different light.

What do you mean with Let It Be ? rebelrebel

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:18

I think BB will still stand in the future, more then some other records.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:19

In the future we will not have opinions, after we are enslaved by the robots. Our thoughts will be controlled by cyborg lizards who repeatedly listen to Talking Heads. This will be a bleak future, but a savior will arise. Battles will be waged between the cyborg musicians of the future and the endoskeleton musicians of the past. Proto-jagger will give his life in service of this cause, but K. Richards2100 will use his gatling gun arm to defeat the Robotronic 16 menace!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 25, 2006 00:32

I'm pretty sure my opinion in 20-30 years, if I make it that long, will be the same as it was at the time of its release and still is a year later: best Stones album since Some Girls.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: August 25, 2006 10:00

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> I'm pretty sure my opinion in 20-30 years, if I
> make it that long, will be the same as it was at
> the time of its release and still is a year later:
> best Stones album since Some Girls.

and 20 to 30 years from now, you'll still be wrong!

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 25, 2006 10:20

>> I'm pretty sure my opinion in 20-30 years, if I
>> make it that long, will be the same as it was
>> at
>> the time of its release and still is a year
>> later:
>> best Stones album since Some Girls.

Nikkibong wrote:

> and 20 to 30 years from now, you'll still be
> wrong!

Nikkibong: I thought your earlier posts this week were a bit mild, but I'm glad you are recovering this morning.

Personally I love ABB as much as I love Goats Head Soup ;-) and Tattoo You, but it is not as 'tight' as Some Girls, of course. But it is a very different record. Without 3/4 weaker songs, adding Under the Radar and We Dont Wanna Go Home ABB would have been more balanced, but who can decide which songs should have been left out, after hearing the transformation and live interpretation of Streets of Love this summer?

Jelle

Jelle

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: August 25, 2006 10:24

sluissie Wrote:

> Personally I love ABB as much as I love Goats Head
> Soup ;-)

me too, incidentally! winking smiley

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 25, 2006 12:40

hehe...yeah, you're right... I made this one too easy for you.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 25, 2006 12:44

Bigger Bang will be appreciated for what it is. A fine album by a band in the autumn of their career. Who else at this stage can compare? Macca, The Who (we'll wait n see), Clapton????

And I'd love to know exactly what Nikkibongs problem with the later day stone/BB really is????

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 25, 2006 13:06

ablett Wrote:
> A fine album by a band in the autumn of their
> career. Who else at this stage can compare? Macca,
> The Who (we'll wait n see), Clapton????

Dylan, Neil Young.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 25, 2006 13:22

Dylan ok, but Neil Youngs been shakey until recently aint he? And neither tour on the size/scale of the stones???

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 25, 2006 14:37

Yep, you're posibly right about Young. And obviously none of them do the monster scale tours as the Stones, but who elses does?? On the other hand, that monster scale can a good measure for many things, but for me it is not a measure about the quality of recorded works.

Springsteen ain't a youngster, neither, and he still releases worthy material, IMHO.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 25, 2006 15:53

To me Neil Young and Bob Dylan make just as good of records now as they did in the 70s, some may feel they are even better. Neil made great albums throughout the 90s and had one of his most successful records with Harvest Moon in 1993 or around that time. As far as how large scale the tours are, I don't think either Dylan or Neil care about that, they are more interested in putting on a show and could care less about fireworks and big stages..

About the topic, I think ABB will hold up well. I actually believe when the Stones are gone their later work will finally get the attention it deserves. Many people don't give post 1981 Stones material a chance before they even hear it.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: August 25, 2006 17:47

I can't even remember where I stashed aBB in my house, so imagining a FUTURE for it...

For me, aBB is a terrible album, done by numbers and on auto-pilot.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 25, 2006 19:53

NICOS Wrote:
>
>
>
> What do you mean with Let It Be ? rebelrebel

I mean the last Beatles album, Let It Be. As in if ABB were the last Stones album and LIB the last Beatles album. I'm saying LIB is no White Album, (Beatles White - 1968), and ABB is no Exile. Both are decent enough though.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 25, 2006 22:31

I think the album is great. Of course like the latter day albums by Springsteen, Dylan, Young etc. It will not catch on with the general public since it gets no airplay but it is a great album nonetheless.

If it were released in 1981 it would have gotten airplay deluxe and we would be calling three or four of the songs classics by now. People would be saying the Stones haven't come out with a great song since "Rough Justice".

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 26, 2006 10:03

Wow Frank. You took the word right out of my mouth.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 26, 2006 16:46

Well Rough Justice isnt in the same league as Start Me Up........

but bigger bang is ok

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: August 26, 2006 16:51

It'll be regarded in the same league as Dirty Work.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 26, 2006 17:16

FrankM Wrote:
> I think the album is great. Of course like the
> latter day albums by Springsteen, Dylan, Young
> etc. It will not catch on with the general public
> since it gets no airplay but it is a great album
> nonetheless.
>
> If it were released in 1981 it would have gotten
> airplay deluxe and we would be calling three or
> four of the songs classics by now. People would be
> saying the Stones haven't come out with a great
> song since "Rough Justice".

That really is the point of ABB being undervalued at this time. There simply aren't enough rock stations anymore that play the Stones. (The ones that do only play old material) Not only are they long past their peak influence, but much of the World They Created is going away.

They can still do great work (like ABcool smiley that fans and people of their generation care about. But the rest of the world has moved on.

It happens to all of the Lions in Winter. Sinatra had a "hit" in 1980 with "New York, New York" but it wasn't like you heard it everywhere you went. Not like "Strangers in the Night" 15 years earlier. By 1980 the vocalist era was gone and all the radio stations had changed their formats. No one can see the artists work if there is no gallery to display it.

I don't even remember the much loved "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong when it was recorded. It wasn't until it was featured in a movie some 20 years later that it became the standard it is today.

Perhaps some creative soul will find a way to enlighten the next generation of the quality of ABB.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 26, 2006 18:47

I bet it will stand with Some Girls and Tatoo You. And maybe as their last effort eventhough I read that they can commit a new opus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home