Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question for BV about Cameras in Stones Concerts
Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 24, 2006 21:01

Hi Bjørnulf

I know there have been similar postings on the board about the issue of taking cameras into Stones gigs but there is such a wealth of conflicting information, I would like to present the question to yourself, with a view to gaining a clearer picture (groannnnnnnn).

On the front of the UK Twickenham and Glasgow tickets it states,
"No cameras or recorders permitted in the venue."

I observed the following at both Twickenham shows
(I was in FOS Blocks A4 and A3 respectively):

1. A significant percentage of people around the venue were using compact
digital or similar cameras and in some cases conventional SLR-shaped
cameras. I did not see any cameras with large zoom or telephoto lenses
though. These people were just 'ordinary fans,' not professional
photographers, working on behalf of media agencies or press.

2. These fans were taking photos openly in front of the Twickenham
Stadium security staff and Rolling Stones' security staff.

3. I did not see nay fans taking photos being challenged by either
Twickenham Stadium security staff or Rolling Stones' security staff.

4. I queried this matter with Twickenham Stadium security staff,
asking if it was actually okay to bring cameras into the venue
and take photos, contrary to what it stated on the tickets.

The answer I received was that the venue did not have a problem
with people bringing cameras into the venue and taking photos,
but it was the Rolling Stones' organisation and security staff
that made the rules that this was not permitted.

5. I presented the question to StonesDoug from Shidoobee, who had
obviously be to loads of Stones gigs like yourself.
He said that the Rolling Stones' organisation and security staff,
did not really mind too much, so long as people used small cameras,
without large zoom or telephoto lenses.

Bjørnulf, what is your view on this subject based on extensive experience.

I ask this question as I am going to the Glasgow and am tempted to take my camera, going on my observations at Twickenham.

I have a front row ticket, so it would be a golden opportunity (in theory) to get some great photos.

Best
SonicDreamer

Re: Question for BV about Cameras in Stones Concerts
Posted by: SessionsMartin ()
Date: August 24, 2006 22:38

Hi David,

They can not stop the camera revolution. Things are getting smaller and smaller. However, if you have a journalist 'pofessional' type missile then they will stop you. I have seen two Stones security leap out from the b-stage to grab a pro-shotter. Meanwhile, I have a small digital and usually they don't care a shit.

Martin.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 24, 2006 22:46

Hi Martin [ aka King of the Red Bus ;-) ]

Thanks for your input, shame you won't be in Glazzzzzzzzeeeeeegee.

Cheers
D

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: August 24, 2006 22:54

Let me add my 2 cents. Local security and Stones security didn't care about compact digital or similar cameras. In Twickenham during the B-stage part the stewards tried to close the space between blocks next to the B-Stage with a barrier. They wouldn't let me in. But when people holding up their cameras asked if the they could take a picture the steward let them get close to the B-stage! How stupid is this?! So I got my mobile out of my pocket and also asked about taking one picture. "OK, one, but then you're out!" the steward said. I stayed of course. The second night I didn't bother to ask and found a different way to first row B-stage. No problem taking pictures from there.

You can have so many different experiences with (local) security people in different countries and different venues.

Posted by: warby ()
Date: August 24, 2006 22:54

I have seen some pretty aggressive stopping of photographry at various stones gigs over ther years. On the last tour in the UK they had plain clothes security who were even stopping people with small and disposabel camera's!

I sense there has been are sanity check, somewhere, and a change in attitude so I am going to risk my small digicam for Hampden, I am also lucky enough to have a front row tickets, who says fans don't get them! If I manage to get any decent shots and hold on to my camera I'll be sure to post a link here.

Cheers
Warby

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:04

in Paris 2006 even disposable cameras were not permitted in FOS.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:21

In Paris 2006 I opened my bag but the security guy did not like the look of the bunch of grubby hankies at the top and just waved me on.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 24, 2006 23:21

I miss BV, we used to make homemade jams on lazy sundays and share a blanket on the porch while we would watch the rain fall down.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 25, 2006 02:28

I took my camera to Twickenham ! I was standing on a seat (block a5 row 13) and as I was taking a piccie the security guy told me to stand down and wasn't bothered with the camera which is a Fuji F10.

You can see the results on the review for Twick 1 on IORR.org

NickB

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 25, 2006 20:46

At Twickenham, I saw no one challenged with the type of (still) cameras that you describe. I was in B2 on Sunday and A4 on Tuesday.

For Twick II, I tried to check my camcorder at the camera check booth, but the guy told me he had not been told to take videocameras, so I brought it in (security never bothered to open the small bag).

I recorded the first 3 songs but then a guy who stands in front of the stage (he was wearing headphones with a microphone and a black baseball cap with a Stones tongue on it and stands on some kind of a low ramp in front of the stage and looks out at the audience) approached me and told me to put my camcorder away (I was in row 9).

I told him what the camera check guy had said and I think he then became irritated. He said he was doing the neighborly thing and that if anyone from the stage saw me, they would do something about it.

So, I put it away but taped just the sound toward the end, got a little bolder and did a little more filming at the tail end.

tim back in Montana

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: August 25, 2006 21:42

My Swedish friends who were on the Fan Asylum package in London told me that they were told they could bring their small digital cameras to the FOS. But no large, pro cameras. That's probably why you saw security ignoring the "photographers". I'm bringing my camera to the FOS and the BOS in Bergen and to the FOS in Horsens. The worst security was in Nice. They were definitely NOT NICE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home