Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Stones Museum
Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 22, 2006 05:49

Hey Gang -

Haven't been on for a while - I'm back at school, finally moved in. Got a huge tongue poster on the wall, my Exile poster, and my gimme shelter poster adorning the walls with some postcards of the Boys over my bed as inspiration. So it's Stones central for now.

While I was gone, my mom and sister and I went on a trip to Ohio as a last minute vacation. We visited Cedar Point. Kinda boring. But the real highlight was the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. Music having been so big in my life as it has been in this past year and a half, it was an eye-opening experience. For those living in the area, I'd recommend a visit now - they've got a fantastic Dylan exhibit going on.

Anyways...

Having drooled over the small Stones exhibit they have of the Stones at the Hall of Fame, I got to thinking what a Stones museum would be like...

So here's my idea of what it could possibly be like. Feel free to add your own ideas too!

-------------

Should be located in London, obviously

The experience starts with a group of visitors entering a circular room, lit dimly so as to see where you're going. The door closes behind you and the lights go dark. You hear the clinking of train tracks. Open to footage of a train platform with two actors (very obviously Mick and Keith ) giving each other wry smiles and mischevious looks - we know something big is about to happen. The screen goes black again. Very slowly sounds begin to layer on top of one another. Crowd noises. Chanting. Guitars being tuned. The room you're in is small. Then then a movie is projected 360 degrees around you. You're in the middle of the Crawdaddy club or some other famous gig, circa 1963 or 1964. Through the magic of computers you're transported there. Five fresh-faced boys take the stage in murky light and go right into Not Fade Away. You can feel the humidity, the pure sound, and are immersed into the experience. The video plays for a while, then the room goes black again. You're transported to another gig, and then another, and another of different tours, each playing a different song. The screens then end with the band as they are today, playing the opening chords of SMU, as the words: Welcome to the Rolling Stones Experience comes into view. The circle then parts, and you enter into the actual museum....

The various exhibits could include:

- Getting Started: Chronicling the birth of the Stones, and recalling the fateful day when two lads met on a train platform

- The Early Years: Showing the band in their very first years

- Influences: Have an exhibit showing the influences that gave the Stones their unique sound

- Rooms or wings dedicated to albums, decades, or periods of development for the band. Talk about the development of the albums, and have interactive displays with interviews with the band about how albums and songs came about

- The Lyric Room: This is my favorite idea. Have a room with very minimal decoration, simply showing the pieces of paper on which some of the greatest lyrics were written, providing they still exist. They did this for some artists at the RNR Hall of Fame, and I thought it was very cool to see that.

- The Costume Room: Chronicle the change in dress of the Stones over the years

- The Instrument Room: Show some of the instruments and recording equipment used by the band over the years

- The Legacy Room: Like a giant guestbook. Celebrities, authors, other musicians and various people of merit leave comments about how the Stones have been and continue to be an important presence in everyone's lives. When you visit, you too can leave your two bits about how the Stones have affected you personally.

- The Photo Gallery: Have a collage and collection of unseen and famous photos of the Stones on tour, in rehearsal, at home, as children - anything worth seeing.

----------
This would of course be the largest collection of Stones memorabilia, and quite a vault of precious items.

It'd be near impossible, but I'm sure it'd be mecca for any Stones fan, young and old. If you build it, they will come.

SO - What would you all want to see in a Stones museum?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-22 05:57 by Jumpin'JackFrash.

Re: A Stones Museum
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 22, 2006 07:28

The Stones museum is currently on tour.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: August 22, 2006 13:31

Sounds like a nightmare, mate!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 22, 2006 13:38

not much chance of a Stones museum in London, when they don't even erect herritage plaques on the significant Stones landmarks.

The sign above The Station Hotel site, was pulled down approx 2 years ago, when it changed proprietor - disgraceful.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: August 22, 2006 16:13

The Stones Vinyl museum is at my house...

JR

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 22, 2006 16:20

...the rewind museum

>>Sounds like a nightmare, mate!<< agree

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 22, 2006 16:35

In a country that's obsessed with history and heritage, it's sort of wonderful that nobody has managed to shut the Stones up in a museum (or even tried as far as I know). Long may they continue to evade the glass cases and learned labels and the whole "Stones Experience" charade!

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 22, 2006 20:01

open-g Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...the rewind museum
> [i20.photobucket.com]
> ndMuseum.jpg
>
> >>Sounds like a nightmare, mate!<< agree

The ol' Devil!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-22 20:01 by cbtaco19.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home