Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

El Paso & Austin
Posted by: wälder ()
Date: August 18, 2006 10:41

Hi,

just one question. I´m from Austria and think to watch the Stones in El Paso and Austin as I never was in Texas before. Is it worth to do this trip? Are there many things to see in the area? Is it best to travel by car....All in all many questions, but I´m very exited what our American Stones buddies will tell me.

Thanks ín advance,

Daniel

Re: El Paso & Austin
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 18, 2006 15:43

Tag Daniel,

Can not tell you much about El Paso, but Austin is a fantastic city. Great music scene and lots of night life. Be sure to try some barbecue! As in most American cities, you will probably need an auto to travel around much.

Within two hours from Austin are San Antonio and Fredericksburg. San Antonio is a larger city with lots of things to see and do. Fredericksburg is a small town, known for its German heritage. From en.wilkipedia.org :

"Fredericksburg was founded in 1846 by Baron Otfried Hans von Meusebach, new Commissioner General of the "Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas", also known as the "Noblemen's Society" (in German: Mainzer Adelsverein), and named in honor of Prince Frederick of Prussia, nephew of Prussia's King Frederick William III, and highest ranking member of the Mainzer Adelsverein. Baron von Meusebach renounced his noble title and became known in Texas as John O. Meusebach. Settled largely by liberal, educated Germans fleeing the failed Revolution of 1848, Gillespie County voted against secession prior to the American Civil War.

The city has become a weekend destination for people in Central Texas, specifically those from Austin and San Antonio, who come for the Bed and Breakfasts, abundant Hunting, Fishing, and Antique Stores.

The town is also notable as the home of Texas German, a German dialect spoken by the first generations of settlers who initially refused to learn English. They brokered with the Natives of that region the only Indian-Anglo treaty in the United States which has not yet been broken. They refused to own slaves and were and important part of the Pro-Union Texas resistance during the Civil War, facing ostracization from their slaveholding neighbors. Its concentration of German-American settlers means that it shares many cultural charecteristics with New Braunfels."

Cool little town.

Karl

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 18, 2006 16:22

Austin is great; one of my favorite cities in the US....

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 18, 2006 16:55

Austin is a very nice town with a lot to do and a lot of traffic. It will probably be a better destination for a trip than El Paso -- more fun things to do. Now, the Zilker Park venue will be bit of a hassle (no parking, etc) if they really draw the 50,000 they say they'll sell, and you'll have to be up for a general admission show. The El Paso show will be more of a normal stadium show, with largely assigned seating.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 18, 2006 17:01

Walder:

I lived in El Paso (less than a kilometer from the Sun Bowl where the Stones will play) for nearly three years.

And BTW, I've been to Wien twice - incredibly wonderful place.

Anyway, El Paso has some very nice vistas of the desert and distant mountain ranges in the US and Mexico, but other than that, not much. Juarez, Mexico is across the bridge, but I personally didn't find it as interesting as other Mexican cities. Downtown El Paso is somewhat colorful in places (like the market strip in El Paso Drive), but without criticizing that town, I would simply confirm KSIE's statements about Austin - you probably won't regret spending more time there than in El Paso.

Date: August 18, 2006 17:42

Hi,

thanks a lot for your kindly information. Does general admission in Austin means standing on the floor / not seats like in Europe...!?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 18, 2006 17:44

wälder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does general admission in Austin means standing on the floor / not seats like in Europe...!?

Yes, standing.

Date: August 18, 2006 17:53

Erikjjf,

I´m positivly surprised, because I thought that in the USA all the gigs are completly seated. Are there other shows with GA on the US leg , too

da

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 18, 2006 18:07

Not in the US, but in Halifax.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: August 18, 2006 19:44

El Paso is a long way from Austin. You would be best to fly. The scenery is definitely not the Alps!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 18, 2006 21:28

Right GeorgeV...I haven't driven it lately, but it may be 10 hours by car...

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 18, 2006 21:44

Austin is one of the hippest coolest cites in the U.S. My Dad lives there and I will be traveling there to go to the show with him.

You should go! It's a college town with lots of beautiful girls and great food and nightlife. If you go, check out Katz's Deli on 6th Street. That is the main strip downtown and Katz's is on the end of the "strip". My favorite restaurant with some great Kosher NY style American grub.

As for El Paso....It's a dusty border town and not exactly a vacation destiation. My appologies to any El Paso fans, but I wouldn't travel there if you paid me.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 18, 2006 23:08

Austin and San Antonio are 2 of the best towns/cities in Texas. They are 1 hr. apart by car. Both cities have airports you can fly into. Both cities are short on hotel/motel rooms so that will be your biggest problem. Both cities have an awesome nightlife and restaurant scene generally located in a central area but beware : All bars close at 2:00 a.m. The Austin show will be open air, on the grass. The Weather in October in both towns will be perfect.

El Paso is a fairly large Texas/Mexican border town/city located in the middle of the west Texas desert (middle of nowhere). Nobody goes there unless you have to. If you have to pick up a tractor trailer full of weed or a van full of illegal aliens this is the place to go. (it helps if you speak spanish) I think The Stones will have problems selling this show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home