Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
London Shows
Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: August 16, 2006 17:48

Will they play anything special for their hometown, and also to make up for the two cancelled shows, or will mick take it easy and not strain his vocal chords and stick to the standard setlist? I'm hoping for the premire of Biggest Mistake, but that's looking pretty improbable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-16 18:03 by RollingStoner.

Re: London Shows
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 16, 2006 17:54

Standard setlist, I reckon. They might do Sway.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 16, 2006 18:06

2nd show is more likely to have a differing setlist

Posted by: Marnix V. ()
Date: August 16, 2006 18:49

Heard a rumour Jerry Lee Lewis is invited by Keith...

Anyone heard about this??

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: August 16, 2006 19:00

They did play Salt of the Earth at the second Twickenham show during Licks Tour, so hopefully we're gonna hear another gem this time. I also think Sway might be played.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 16, 2006 19:02

Contrary to its reputation British press has been very easy on the Stones the last time(s) they visited in 2003 (and rightfully so). This time they may not get away with the standard European setlist with it's "two songs and a turn" variations, or with gooing through the motions. I think the Stones themselves tend to realise this.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 16, 2006 19:07

Limbostone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I think the Stones themselves tend to realise this.

But the question is, do they care?

Date: August 16, 2006 20:04

The Stones will care and start to realize it when the people pay attention to the press and not purchase tickets. Until then, they don't care.

child of the moon
Posted by: childjjf ()
Date: August 16, 2006 20:34

Hi does anybody have any info on the child of the moon promo from 1968, ie where was it filmed and does anybody know the name of the 2 actresses in it, hope somebody can help cheers

Re: Child of the Moon promo
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 16, 2006 20:39

>> where was it filmed <<

in the Surrey countreyside, apparently (thanks nzentgraf.de!)
your questions might get more attention if you open a new thread about them ...
just a thought ...

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:24

What if they are cancelled? Could still be the case, couldn't it? Hope not of course.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 16, 2006 21:30

Harm Wrote:
> What if they are cancelled? Could still be the
> case, couldn't it? Hope not of course.

I think if they cancelled the London shows, this whole board would implode.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: August 16, 2006 22:33

I think we will receive two different shows. They did it at the Hollywood Bowl and in Philadelphia and I think in Oakland as well. Just let's wait and see.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 16, 2006 22:37

The two shows in Tokyo had quite different setlists.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 16, 2006 22:47

I had relatively high hopes for hearing something new in London - and I still think that as is the norm for back to back shows in the same city, we'll get a few songs different between the two nights (maybe 5 or so)

However, with Mick having to rest his voice all week in order to make the shows happen at all, that doesnt leave them any time to work on anything that they havent rehearsed or played to death already, so the two cancellations this week have, IMO, seen the chances of hearing anything fresh reduce dramatically.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 16, 2006 23:02

Gazza..

I was hoping for this when I bought tickets for the two shows at Fenway and they only changed one song. Disappointed to say the least.

And then a few days later an hour down the road in Hartford, they just played one less song and changed two others or something along those lines. Same goes for a few days later a few hours down the road at Giants Stadium. Same thing. You can imagine how me and a group of people who went to all these shows felt... and then only to hear a month later that they played songs like Sway, As Tears Go By, Get Off My Cloud and a few others. I think the Stones have no clue sometimes..

Date: August 16, 2006 23:04

In Chicago they played 6 different songs. I really doubt they'll do that now in London though. Just look at all the setlists in Europe.

Date: August 16, 2006 23:35

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> Gazza..
>
> I was hoping for this when I bought tickets for
> the two shows at Fenway and they only changed one
> song. Disappointed to say the least.
>
> And then a few days later an hour down the road in
> Hartford, they just played one less song and
> changed two others or something along those lines.
> Same goes for a few days later a few hours down
> the road at Giants Stadium. Same thing. You can
> imagine how me and a group of people who went to
> all these shows felt... and then only to hear a
> month later that they played songs like Sway, As
> Tears Go By, Get Off My Cloud and a few others. I
> think the Stones have no clue sometimes..

Fenway was bizarre because if anything youd have thought that if there was ANY time in the tour where they would have mixed things up, it would have been at a tour opener when playing two shows at the same venue

There are only 4 cities on the whole tour where they have/will be playing two successive stadium shows - Boston, Buenos Aires, Tokyo and London

In BA they played 20 songs the first night and 21 the second, with six different songs being played on night #2.

In Tokyo they played 21 songs on the first night and 20 on the second (in both Tokyo and BA the show that got Midnight Rambler meant the setlist reduced by one song). The second show featured seven songs not played at the first show.

So, theres a precedent. With London being the only city in Europe to get two shows, its reasonable to expect significant alterations from one night to the next.

The shows with the biggest changes were the 2 Hollywood Bowl shows in November, which had 8 changes in the 21 songs played on each of the 2 nights (with 2 world premieres on the 2nd night to boot!). Personally, I cant remember any other occasion in the Stones' career where they changed a set so much in back to back shows in the same venue.

As Van Morrison said.."wouldnt it be great if it was like this all the time..."

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 16, 2006 23:51

Gazza, hope you get some different songs. In the case of the Hollywood Bowl shows I remember a very well-known rock/music critic (can't recall his name)publically critizing the Stones in a major paper in LA about how they always play the same songs tour after tour. And wouldn't you know it the Stones mixed it up. It was posted here on IORR when it was written.

Other similar gripes in papers about the set lists in other US cities unfortunately did not get this sort of response. Didn't seem like a coincidence at the time that the Stones mixed it up after getting bashed in the media. Seems like they clearly were aware of the story.. Anyone have the story handy?

Date: August 17, 2006 00:34

I remember reading that article, and the very next night they premired As Tears Go By and It Won't Take Long.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 17, 2006 01:39

Yeah, It Won't Take Long! Bring it back for Britain

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: August 17, 2006 08:11

... it was robert hilburn of the los angeles times who hammered them about there set lists and lack of artistic push .... when they came back in march to the forum, they delivered sway, faraway eyes and worried about you in a row, ,, faraway eyes and worried about you was a one/two knock out punch, mesmerizing, a real jaggerizing piece of showmanship...

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 17, 2006 15:25

soundcheck Wrote:
> ... it was robert hilburn of the los angeles times
> who hammered them about there set lists and lack
> of artistic push .... when they came back in march
> to the forum, they delivered sway, faraway eyes
> and worried about you in a row, ,, faraway eyes
> and worried about you was a one/two knock out
> punch, mesmerizing, a real jaggerizing piece of
> showmanship...

'Jaggerizing'! Never heard that one. Trying to find a definition on answers.com but no luck so far! LOL

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 17, 2006 15:26

Perhaps they open the second show with Satisfaction, the British missed it during the BTB, and when they returned in '99 they played JJF.
Why not? They have opened with Satisfaction one time already on the Bigger Bang tour.

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: August 17, 2006 16:07

"Feel so jaggerized, all that inside me.....the sunshine bores the daylight out of me...chasin' shadows, keeflight mystery...."

Date: August 17, 2006 16:15

hoping for the tours European debut of Gimme Shelter.

Date: August 17, 2006 16:22

Adrian-L Wrote:
> hoping for the tours European debut of Gimme
> Shelter.

Lisa's song as my mother called it :-)
Great song. Better than BS,IORR,JJF, bla bla IMO

Date: August 17, 2006 16:24

my favourite Stones track- bar none

Date: August 17, 2006 16:27

moi aussi

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: August 17, 2006 16:29

I've heard that the 1st show will open with Winter.

Oily.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home