Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some thoughts on cancellations, uk..
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 19:35

First of all i have to say i feel so sorry for all the spanish fans esp. in the small towns lik valladolid.

i've lost six shows on this european leg (2 in Spain) and i know how you feel.

But beside valladolid i think also El Ejido will be cancelled. why? i think they will not risk anything for the upcoming uk tour. so one could say o.k. we cancelled three of four already, why risk anything and do El Ejido and may affect the uk?

what are your thoughts?

Re: Some thoughts on cancellations, uk..
Posted by: Stevie C ()
Date: August 14, 2006 19:47

I think you have a point there Roadster. I remember when Mick had some problems in 2003 (I had tickets for both Twickenham shows) which forced them to postpone. After they came back and played he was very apologetic, and the band really put in a great performance.

In the current context of this tour we may well see the other Spanish show pulled, as I think they will again want to make every effort to give fans here in the UK one final blast! Again, I don't want to bring this up again as it has been done to death in previous posts, but as Jagger himself "time waits for no one".

Posted by: PiotrRSpl ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:05

My thought is that it all depends on Mick, but I agree they might not want to take any risk before UK, but from the other side...there's still only and last chance to play Spain in 2006...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:12

BTW: isn't it strange that everytime Mick has sorethroat problems it's always in Europe (cancelled shows in 1998, 2003 and 2006, also show in Rotterdam may 1990 shortened due to Mick's voice problems).

Date: August 14, 2006 21:15

franzk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW: isn't it strange that everytime Mick has
> sorethroat problems it's always in Europe
> (cancelled shows in 1998, 2003 and 2006, also show
> in Rotterdam may 1990 shortened due to Mick's
> voice problems).

I think if it has to happen it happens in Europe because they have to travel alot to different countries, different cities - 2,3 days & they have to fly somewhere else - different weather, different climax here and there, one country it's rainging and it's cold, than they go to Spain it's 38C and full sun. Air condition is comfortable to have in your room but makes it also quicker to get ill. Just my thoughts...

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:15

Mick has had throat problems in North America as well. January 98, January 99 etc.

Date: August 14, 2006 21:16

Oh yes - San Jose for instance - was supposed to be opening night, became the last gig of the tour

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:18

PiotrRSpl Wrote:
> Oh yes - San Jose for instance - was supposed to be opening night

Oakland was the opening show. San Jose would have been the 3rd and 4th shows in 99.

Date: August 14, 2006 21:20

sorry - thank you for correction, Erik ! But most definately they had extra cameras in San Jose and were filming for never released DVD from No Security Tour...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:35

Perhaps it has something to do with the bird flu, after all Mick dances like a chicken.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 14, 2006 22:00

Roadster32 Wrote:
> First of all i have to say i feel so sorry for all
> the spanish fans esp. in the small towns lik
> valladolid.
>
> i've lost six shows on this european leg (2 in
> Spain) and i know how you feel.
>
> But beside valladolid i think also El Ejido will
> be cancelled. why? i think they will not risk
> anything for the upcoming uk tour. so one could
> say o.k. we cancelled three of four already, why
> risk anything and do El Ejido and may affect the
> uk?
>
> what are your thoughts?

I think you're right. If he developed laryngitis "over the weekend" as the statement suggests,its hard to imagine that problem being sufficiently cleared to risk a show on wednesday. hope I'm wrong

Posted by: Stevie C ()
Date: August 15, 2006 00:47

I hate to play the devil hear (as i've got tickets for the first Twickenham show!) but does anyone think that this Sunday's gig is under threat?

Date: August 15, 2006 01:12

Personally - No

If they cancel El Ejido, that will have given Mick 8 days off which should be ample time to recover I would guess unless his condition is very bad. Even if they play El Ejido, he still has 4 days.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 15, 2006 01:21

Laryngitis is not uncommon in professional singers of Mick's age. It is caused not by virus, but by overuse, combined with other factors such as smoking, dry air, etc. The only cure is rest (typically 1-2 weeks). I think that Mick is probably very meticulous about his voice (having had problems in the past), so he probably has all kinds of humidifiers and other things to deal with the airplanes, air conditioned hotel rooms, and Keef and Ron's secondhand smoke. But, once the vocal chords have tired, you need to rest em, or risk sounding like crap for the rest of the tour.

I don't know if anyone here knows about George Harrison's tour of America in 1974, but he strained his voice during rehearsals and recording of the Dark Horse album. He then just proceeded with the tour, and if you have heard the boots, he sounds like total crap.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 15, 2006 01:39

By the way, I would be more worried about the concerts on 9/25, 27 and 29. That's a brutal schedule for someone with throat problems. If Mick needs rest, Sheffield on the 27th might be at risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-15 01:40 by drbryant.

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: August 15, 2006 02:11

In my opinion it has nothing to do with EUROPE.

On the Licks Tour they did the SARS thing in between European shows and therefore had to fly out transatlantic. According to himself, that's when he caught something...

It's sad that he seems to be plagued by that voice problems again as his voice on this tour has been better than ever.

a quick recovery, MICK !!!

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: August 15, 2006 02:21

drbryant Wrote:
> By the way, I would be more worried about the
> concerts on 9/25, 27 and 29. That's a brutal
> schedule for someone with throat problems. If
> Mick needs rest, Sheffield on the 27th might be at
> risk.

Afraid if they have to cancel a UK concert it will be the one which has sold the least tickets

Money talks .

Date: August 15, 2006 03:01

drbryant Wrote:
> Laryngitis is not uncommon in professional singers
> of Mick's age. It is caused not by virus, but by
> overuse, combined with other factors such as
> smoking, dry air, etc. The only cure is rest
> (typically 1-2 weeks). I think that Mick is
> probably very meticulous about his voice (having
> had problems in the past), so he probably has all
> kinds of humidifiers and other things to deal with
> the airplanes, air conditioned hotel rooms, and
> Keef and Ron's secondhand smoke. But, once the
> vocal chords have tired, you need to rest em, or
> risk sounding like crap for the rest of the tour.
>

well, hes had laryngitis on tour before, recovered and his voice has been fine afterwards

heres a wikipedia feature on laryngitis for those who are interested
[en.wikipedia.org]

"It is categorized as acute if it lasts less than a few days. Otherwise it is categorized as chronic which could last over 3 weeks."

the fact that they were only cancelled todays show at a few hours notice would suggest (I hope) that they reckon its 'acute' I would think.

Date: August 15, 2006 04:11

Mick didn't slow down for a second this tour, he's giving the best of his vocals in Europe, not limiting, he could take it easier and everybody would be satisfied anyway, but it's just Mick and as Keith said "We love the man" - thank you Mick and be well as quick as possible.

Also - the show was cancelled around 2pm in the day of the show and Mick said he already got it through the weekend, so probably after Porto's gig. So it's quite possible they were unsure if show should be on or off today (actually - yesterday) in the morning. What means Mick might show some imporvement but not enough to do the show - El Ejido might happen. Day or two may change alot. Of course it's just theory but it's quite possible. It's better to cancel one gig and give extra day or two to recover in 100% than take a risk and than have to cancel 4 shows including UK ones. Let's wait and see. I keep my fingers crossed and keep the positive vibes and faith for Mick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home