Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T fender stratocaster pickups
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:51

I got a strat made in Mexico and I wonder if you can suggest me any pickups that fit the rolling stones sound and general blues etc.You just get a different sound(let's say from the '60s) when you change pickups or a better sound??Hope you understood what I am saying.

Re: O.T fender stratocaster pickups
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:54

What are you talking about ?

Date: August 11, 2006 23:55

Nevermind.Just suggest pickups.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:56

Sorry, I'm just joking I don't know what's wrong tonight.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:56

NICOS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are you talking about ?

I think it has something to do with symmetric polynomials.

Date: August 12, 2006 10:53

Texas special worth the price?

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 12, 2006 13:12

StratoGR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Texas special worth the price?

in my opinion yes. but i also recommend the noiseless vintage fender, or lace senor pu`s. also seymour duncon sells good ones, and you probably get more for your money

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 12, 2006 13:15

I have never heard anything better than Seymour Duncan Antiquity's, for Strats as well as Tele's.

Mathijs

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 12, 2006 13:19

which one do you mean exactly mathijs? The ‘60s Series or The ‘50s Series?
which set do you recommend for a tele?
i built one invader in my old ibanez invader. very good sound for heavy music

[www.seymourduncan.com]
here you can hear samples of the pu`s

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: August 12, 2006 13:30

I had a strat that I sold before I came to Germany four years ago. I put Seymore Duncan Hotrails in the neck and bridge. It was a little too much for the brdige, but the neck pickup sounded great (I always used an Ibanez Tube Screamer in addition to the pickups and the sound was off-the-wall. The sustain was awesome).

Date: August 12, 2006 15:11

I heard that seymour duncon has the best but the are multiple sets to choose from.They always sell the pickups in sets of three,or sometimes they are selled seperately?

Date: August 12, 2006 20:40

I made a search in seymour duncan site and learned some things about pickups.I just have a problem.Should I prefer single coiled pickups or single-coil-sized humbuckers?I don't want to open holes to my guitar that's why I mentioned them.Where do you think I should choose from for Stones sound,and a blues style like b b king.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 12, 2006 22:37

Is the Guitar a Mexican Standard Strat or a Classic series 50s or 60s Strat?
Either way, the pickups can be improved upon... but the degree of improvement depends on where you're starting from.

The Standard MIM Strat comes without hotish ceramic magnet pickups. These are decent allround pickups for a mass market guitar, but don't really give a traditional Strat like response. They lack openess and that "chime" at the top end. The MIM Classic series Strats are a different ball game.
They come with some pretty decent vintage voiced alnico loaded pickups. Not too hot and with plenty of chime and sparkle. They're wound on plastic bobbins and with modern "formvar" wire... but are still very good. You would need to look at something from Fender's Custom Shop series [or from Seymour Duncan, Bare Knuckle, Fralin etc] to make the change worthwhile.
From the Standard Strat, the improvements are much easier to find and cheaper. Fender's own Tex-Mex pickups [a hotter wound variant of the pickups in the Classic series] would make a very nice difference for not a lot of money. Or maybe look out for someone chopping out the pups from a Classic or USA Vintage RI Strat.
Whatever level you pitch in at, you want to avoid the stacked humbuckers [anything noiseless !] and anything marketed as super hot. They won't give you the "vintage " Start openess and sparkle that's required to get Stones type tone from the guitar. The Stones sound is not based on high gain. It's based on the classic tones of traditional "vintage" gear.
Happy hunting ;^)

Date: August 13, 2006 00:18

I got the standar mexican stratocaster.To say the truth I can give in total 200 euros so I can go with the Duncan pickups.Beacuse I am not very familiar with the stuff you mean I should avoid models such as stk-s2 hot stack or hot rails etc.Do you have hum with single-coil-sized humbuckers??If you want to propose specific models I am happy to hear them.As I said my first aim is to get a nice bluesy feel with changing the mood of a strat.I am gonna combine her with the tube amp we were talking the other for.I think I am gonna have the great result.I won't make any pickup changes to my guitar.These will be the final.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 13, 2006 19:09

Just go for aset of Fender "USA Vintage 57/62" pickups. You won't be disappointed.

Date: August 13, 2006 19:26

Spud I am gonna take your advice and I am gonna install those pickups.Just a last question.If you had my guitar and you had 200 euros for pickups would these be your first choice?This is the last change on pickups I am gonna do.Next step will be to buy another guitar.
Sorry for being awful boring but I don't have no experience and I want to do good investments.Sorry again for repeating over and over again.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 13, 2006 20:27

I think the 50's series SD Antiquity's are brilliant pickups. BUT -I have a Custom Shop Mary Kaye Strat, en the Custom Shop pickups sound so good I decided to keep them in my Strat. They have that origal 50's woolly sound, like Clapton has on the Live at Fillmore CD set. And that's the sound I was looking for.

A tip: Seymour Duncan and CS Fender pickups can be bought through Ebay for half the price of what they are in a store.

Mathijs

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 13, 2006 20:36

Strat, you have a nice body, I like the strings on your neck, would you like to go out for a drink some time?

sorry, I thought it was pick up lines....

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: August 14, 2006 02:01

Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots

or Jason Lollar

[www.fralinpickups.com]

[www.lollarguitars.com]

Date: August 14, 2006 13:25

A last question smiling smiley.I think I will go for the Usa Vintage 57/62 but should I install them or a tech??I have no experience at all I don't even know how my guitar looks inside.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 14, 2006 13:35

A tech if you have no experience,they may have to re-route..

Date: August 14, 2006 14:13

Nice,thanks a lot.

Posted by: kennydice58 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 14:25

Seymour duncan Texas Specials excellent pick ups used by SRV
Cheers
Kennydice

Date: August 14, 2006 15:28

SRV=?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 14, 2006 16:34

SRV - Stevie Ray Vaughan

The Texas Specials would be too hot (for my needs)
I'd stick with vintage Seymore Duncans or Fender

Date: August 14, 2006 19:24

Yeah I think I'll stick with fender beacuse I don't want to change the sound of my guitar,I mean loosing the strat sound.Whatever I choose I don't think I can go wrong.I mean anything will be miles aways from the stock picks I got now.

Date: August 15, 2006 10:00

I didn't want a new thread for my guitar.I have this stand [www.musiciansfriend.com]
Is it good or should one that supports also the neck?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 15, 2006 14:50

They're ok for home use, but can get quite anoying on stage or rehearsal room
just like this one winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home