Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: New York Dolls New Album Sells Only Seven Thousand Copies Its First Week In The U. S.....
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: August 11, 2006 02:18

....and debuts at #126 on the BILLBOARD charts....I trust it did better in Europe where people actually have musical taste.

This makes me very sad. I feel very bad for them...they had high hopes for this one. They pressed 50,0000 copies of the Limited Edition! Seven thousand won't even cover the cost of manufacturing them. It's a great album, too...ROLLING STONE is giving it four out of five stars, I understand. Hopefully their Fall tour will help sell more copies.

Oh, well...their first album only reached #116 on the BILLBOARD charts in 1973.

Oh...and to relate this to the Rolling Stones...Andy Snitzer plays tenor sax on the song "Maimed Happiness"...a great one.

PLEASE, Rolling Stones...have the Dolls open for at least one show this Fall! They are a much more appropriate--and much cooler and hip--act than Kanye West!!

Re: OT: New York Dolls New Album Sells Only Seven Thousand Copies Its First Week In The U. S.....
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 11, 2006 02:34

That is a shame. It's a good album. I bet they will do pretty well on tour, though. I looked for a tour schedule and can't find one, any idea when they're touring?

And yeah, it would be great to see them open for the Stones.

Re: OT: New York Dolls New Album Sells Only Seven Thousand Copies Its First Week In The U. S.....
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 11, 2006 03:04

where's the surprise in that ?

they didn't sell any records when they were around first time. why would it change now ?

i'll buy it cos i like em. but they don't have a big fanbase

i'm quite amused that their label pressed 50,000 copies and called it a 'limited edition'

jeez!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 11, 2006 04:31

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 08:29 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: August 11, 2006 07:00

rock'n'roll is dead in the sense that no one cares anymore...

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 11, 2006 07:07

Album sales aren't where the actions at anymore.
Downloads, concert tickets and perhaps a dvd
could fare a lot better in the $ dept......

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 11, 2006 08:18

the dolls are still great... maimed happiness is a great ballad...of course the dolls should open for the stones in NYC, maybe at the Beacon or MSG...

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: August 11, 2006 08:33

This is the album ABB should've been. It's a classic.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 11, 2006 10:05

Didn't know they released a new album, but read in a dutch newspaper yesterday that it was a solid rock 'n roll album and "if Primal Screama and the Rolling Stones got away with releases like this in recent years, then why shouldn't the New York Dolls?" (Volkskrant). Made me curious! Gonna check it out.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2006 11:00

Maybe the kids just dont dig Sylvain's clothes........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: August 11, 2006 13:50

I reviewd the record for RollingStone, it's a very good one, gave it 4 stars out of 5.

Date: August 11, 2006 13:58

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 08:28 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: August 11, 2006 14:01

It all boils down to a Personality Crisis Beelyboy........

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 11, 2006 14:02

Watched a bit of the DVD and played some of the tracks, sounded pretty good.

The question is how many of the general public have heard of them or the album?

And I expect they'll never get airplay either...

Date: August 11, 2006 14:05

dunhill...are you DF...?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 11, 2006 16:46

This New York Dolls reunion is a huge joke. There are only two surviving members! And sorry, w/out Johnny Thunders, they're nothing. As much as I like David and Sylvain, those two and four other hacks cannot recreate what was once a truly great band. That's a slap in the face to the memory of the others. The perfect time for a reunion would have been the late 1980's/early 90's (when Johnny T. was still alive), but David was more interested in being Buster Poindexter . . .

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 11, 2006 20:12

Hey Neptune, I don't agree, the new band is really good. Certainly not "nothing" . As much as I love JT, you might keep in mind that Sylvain taught him how to play guitar in the first place. Also I think it was more Johnny and Jerry's fault than anyone else,that there was no reunion earlier, they weren't the most reliable guys in the world as i'm sure you know

Its an unexpectedly great record, so just enjoy it, they won't be around for ever, they deserve some fun, after all the bad luck this truly great American band have had.

Also Beelboy there is a European tour apparently, but the dates keep changing around, not sure what going on.

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: August 11, 2006 20:26

TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT MY GOOD LOOKS is a better song that any song from ABB. There's a swagger to this album that the STONES don't have, and a vulnerability in the lyrics that critics claimed they loved about ABB, but that I didn't hear myself in there. Get this album.

Date: August 11, 2006 21:06

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-06 08:25 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 11, 2006 21:15

That's about 6500 more than I thought they'd sell. If I want it I'll download it for free off LimeWire.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 11, 2006 21:39

I lost my vinyl copy of the David Johansen album in about 1983 !!
but I still remember how cool those 2 songs you mention are.

Duane you not nice sad smiley, but I understand if Allmann is your second name.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 11, 2006 22:44

So what if its not the original New York Dolls. Very few "original" bands are still together. Good musicians making good music is what it is regardless of what they call it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 11, 2006 22:49

There's an exchange on the DVD where Sylvain & Johansen discuss how Stonesy they think a particular song should sound. In the end David tells Syl to "Stonesify" it. (this is from memory, not a direct quote)

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:23

neptune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This New York Dolls reunion is a huge joke. There
> are only two surviving members! And sorry, w/out
> Johnny Thunders, they're nothing. As much as I
> like David and Sylvain, those two and four other
> hacks cannot recreate what was once a truly great
> band. That's a slap in the face to the memory of
> the others. The perfect time for a reunion would
> have been the late 1980's/early 90's (when Johnny
> T. was still alive), but David was more interested
> in being Buster Poindexter . . .

While a reunion much earlier before Johnny died would have been more desireable, you have to remember this reunion was not orchestrated by David or Sylvain. It was Morrissey who convinced them to reunite 2 years ago for the festival in the UK that he was curating. At the time of their reunion there were 3 original members with Arthur Kane dying 1 month after that initial reunion performance. Without Morrissey convincing them to reunite, in all liklihood, we would not have even this 2 original member version of the band working together.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: August 12, 2006 00:18

SO "dunhill"...you're DAVID FRICKE! You're even on the Dolls DVD!

You are a great rock critic, I must say. Your support of the Stones over the years is much appreciated! Thanks for supporting the Dolls, too. Say, ask Jann to put them on the cover of ROLLING STONE...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: August 12, 2006 01:01

i saw this in the stores yesterday; so the general consensus seems to be that most of you like it? i think i'll have to check it out then, 2 original members or not. thank you morrissey. again.

Date: August 12, 2006 11:57

TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT MY GOOD LOOKS is a better song that any song from ABB....>>>

oh no my son please go back to Bang...Rough Justice is
a million rubbish tips ahead of the any song on the new
Dolls album....then ya get hit behind the ears by Let Me Down Slow.....CLASSIC!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 12, 2006 13:45

That's by far the best album the stones never did since Tattoo You.
Very good songs, great lyrics, perfect guitar sound, great mix...
Way too much guitar overdubs on ABB, that's why RJ and ONNYA simply don't rock live.

The Dolls - Rock'n'Roll at its best.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 12, 2006 15:54

If I only could get 1$ for every time a critic has bashed this album.
Its like their main mistake is gettin their act together on the whole.
Alas I havent heard it.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: August 12, 2006 19:51

so is the lineup on the album the same as from the mini-tour they did, or are there guests helping out?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home