Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Did anybody here ever get to see the band in 62 or 63 at the Marquee, Crawdaddy,etc.?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 10, 2006 04:15

Now that woulda been a cool night out! Post yo' story if you have one. I was wearing a diaper at that time!

Re: Did anybody here ever get to see the band in 62 or 63 at the Marquee, Crawdaddy,etc.?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2006 05:39

Yeah Elmo...that's a damn good call.
Stories from the Crawdaddy Club would
be cool to read....There's some good
comments by the Stones in According To....

ROCKMAN

Re: Did anybody here ever get to see the band in 62 or 63 at the Marquee, Crawdaddy,etc.?
Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 10, 2006 06:08

And when I saw Rockman replied I nearly sunk into a fit of envy...instead a great photo - don't see Stu, is that him to Charlie's right, partly blocked by Brian?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-10 06:08 by john r.

Date: August 10, 2006 06:15

Hey yeah John...Wish I had have been there
...sure that's Stu behind Mick.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MegaWatts ()
Date: August 10, 2006 09:43

Look at Keith's face expression.He looks like he saw The Beatles entering Crawdaddy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 10, 2006 10:08

Yeah, if I could have an opportunity to witness any Stones gig ever, forget 1969-73, I would choose one of those hot Crawdaddy nights - and catch the band in its original and natural power - and to understand the reason why they managed to make it big. You know, how it might have felt to be in the audience, saw the early nad not factured charisma of the guys, etc.

I watch the TAMI show and Pool Winners performances the other day and even though the band was more 'pop' by then than compared to purist r&b days of Crawdaddy the energy level in thoseare so huge and the way day deliver the goods is just amazing. It is very easy to understand why they were the only real challenge to The Beatles - and I can also understand why John Lennon was always so bitter; he knew the truth that The Stones is clearly the best r&r act ever hit the stage. And so bloody natural. The basic idea of what makes The Stones great - and best - hasn't changed at all during the decades. The way they work audience. The same bloody group feeling and unique skill of making amazing noise together they created at Crawdaddy. That's the secret of The Stones.

- Doxa

Date: August 10, 2006 10:22

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 10, 2006 10:29

THAT'S ANCIENT ART OF WEAVING, BOYS!!!

- Doxa

Date: August 10, 2006 10:52

Crawdaddy Club...Richmond May 1963

Dezo Hoffman/Rex Features, Jeremy Fletcher/Redferns

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 10, 2006 13:12

i wish i had ,but these concerts took 28years before my birth.maybe i was there in a earlier life

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 10, 2006 13:18

born and bred in Twickenham/Richmond- but by a cruel twist, 15-20 years too late for The Crawdaddy era.
Still- it's not all bad...saw Ronnie's bro, Art (and his all-Stars) last night at The Eel Pie Club- a rockin' night.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 10, 2006 13:34

Assuming that the average age of the audience is 20 years they all are now in between 62 and 66, as far as I know the oldest on this board I remember is 58.

Maybe there is an other way to trace dose people and ask them to tell there story (any ideas?)

Posted by: novica ()
Date: August 10, 2006 13:48

with time machine we all could meet at the Crawdaddy...smiling smiley
i know i'm trippin'....

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: August 10, 2006 13:56

Who on this board should have been there in 1962-63 if there has been apparently nobody visited the UK Tour 1971 ?!!

Date: August 10, 2006 14:44

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 10, 2006 14:51

Ulf Kjelstrom, the Swedish brain surgeon and Stones fan did see them in early '63 when he visited London.

Mathijs

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: August 10, 2006 15:10

PHotographer Philip Townsend saw the very first Stones gig in 62, 15 people attending......

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 10, 2006 16:36

That had to be some night - must've been like seeing Sinatra for the first time. Too bad none of them probably knew what the little band would grow up to become

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: August 10, 2006 16:44

first gig only 15 people, the next 30 and from there it went on and on.... amazing...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2006 16:58

thanks for that great interview, Rockman.
Gomelsky said one of my favourite things ever about the Stones, speaking of those way-early gigs:
"the energy they created was incredible and they gave everybody courage for years and years and years"

hail hail Rolling Stones

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:06

Rockman,

That's a great shot of Keith and Brian - I love the girl in the back with her hair flippin around! I want to jump into that picture and jump up and down too!

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:26

Thanks a lot Rockman!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:28

Hi Nicos, I am 63 and spoke to brian in perth feb 65 albeit so briefly.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:34

Ian Stewart and the Rolling Stones.
Dezo Hoffman photo.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:42

whiskey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Nicos, I am 63 and spoke to brian in perth feb
> 65 albeit so briefly.

Whiskey, please tell us more...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:43

yeah Whiskey!!!

Was he still beautiful?

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:46

thanks...nice photos,i never seen the live pic before,,

i wonder what's on tape those days ?..

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:59

do any of these places still exist - crawdady, richmond station hotel etc...?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 10, 2006 18:16

Well, the present day Eel Pie Club attracts a lot of people from that generation and I think someone there is researching for a history of Eel Pie Island and the music scene there in the 60's (don't know how far they've got yet).

Last night I was certainly talking to a bloke who said he used to go to see "all those guys" on the Island. We were listening to Art Wood's All Stars (unfortunately without Art who was unwell) and the line-up included Mick Avory, Don Craine & Keith Grant of the Downliners Sect, Mick Green of the Pirates (And yes, they did do Shaking All Over. And Dedicated Follower of Fashion.) Dave Lennox (who played keyboards with lots of 60s groups) and members of local band Leafhound. From a distance of 15 feet or so the sound is unbelievable. Around 90 minutes of great music ending up with "Morning Dew" and "Baby Please Don't Go" (but they had to, there's an 11 p.m. curfew).

I was two or three years too young for the Crawdaddy/Island scene in the 60s, but the atmosphere upstairs at the Cabbage Patch seems to bring back a lot of memories for those who weren't.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: August 10, 2006 18:26

Never saw the Keith / Brian pic before, where did you take that one from Rockman?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home