Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Knebworth 30 Years
Date: August 9, 2006 15:08

On 20 August at Twickenham it will be to the day 30 years. Do we think they will make reference to that little co-incidence?

Re: Knebworth 30 Years
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 9, 2006 15:49

30 years since I slept on a trolley at Stevenage station. Doesn't time fly !

That was some day out ;^)

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:31

Spud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 30 years since I slept on a trolley at Stevenage
> station. Doesn't time fly !
>
> That was some day out ;^)

Luxury! You were lucky to have a trolley.

We had to sleep on platform...

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:32

I found a £20 note on the floor at the pub i was drinking at, but had to share as a guy stamped his foot on it at the same time as i did, also slipped down the motorway embankment and sprained my foot, but managed to get quite close to the stage with about an hour to go.

Great fun where does the time go eh!

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:38

Spud

me too, I slept on the platform at Stevenage station waiting for the first train back to London.
Only vague memories of the day, I crashed in a stoned haze through much of the Stones much delayed set.

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: August 9, 2006 16:54

30 years since Knebworth! Hard to believe ... okay: here's my story (again):

I was 16, I hitchhiked to the concert from London where I stayed at a family to improve my English, the schedule of the concert was chaotic and we had to wait REALLY long before the Stones started, I was alone there and I made it to the THIRD ROW in front of the stage, I LOVED "Wild Horses" which was my favorite at that time, I screamed very loud inbetween the songs because I had heard the rumour that Knebworth was recorded to be the next live album (it was Paris instead), the microphone feedbacks were sometimes awful, but beside that, the concert was FANTASTIC and (as I know now) one of the longest in Stones history, I slept on the meadow (freezing all night) and hitchhiked back to London at daybreak, the headline in one of the musicpapers beside a photo of Mick and Keith I will never forget: "It's nearly midnight, it's cold and you've waited twelve hours to see these men: was it worth it?" Well, IT WAS! ... 28 years later: the Knebworth DVD I bought in 2004 was like a timetunnel: during the beginning of "Tumbling Dice", third row in front of the stage I could see myself at the age of 16 ...

And a few days ago, on the 28th of July, I was in Paris for my 12th concert in 30 years ... it was perfect!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-09 17:08 by linnerz.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 9, 2006 17:16

Ah yes, Knebworth was my first live rolling stones concert!!!!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 9, 2006 19:01

I managed to get on a train, but fell asleep and woke up in darkness, no idea where I was (a shunting yard in London). The whole affair was an incredible experience for the young country boy I was at the time. Like linnerz, I've kept going back for more and was also at the Paris gig last month (and looking forward to Twickenham). Watch out for details of pre-gig entertainment in Glasgow through these pages.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: August 9, 2006 20:20

30 years since I shared a sleeping bag with a student from Derby, lying beneath someones 2CV! Never did see each other again.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 9, 2006 20:22

It seems like everyone who went to Knebworth had a real wild time, unlike the sterile hotel-trips most of us do these days, including me.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 10, 2006 00:17

30 years since it took us 2 hours to get out the car park & there's me in the back of an MG sport car.

15 hours in a red hot field with no drink,no food & no toilet - Ah,those were the days.

Date: August 10, 2006 00:26

Cool stage, after dark at least

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-10 17:22 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 10, 2006 02:18

Cool story, linnerz.

BTW, there is a lot of footage of Lynyrd Skynyrd that day on "Freebird:The Movie", most of LS's set, in fact.

Posted by: HamishCameron ()
Date: August 10, 2006 02:25

Yep, excellent DVD. They almost stole the show. Remember a lot of bottles going the way of 10CC. Brilliant day. Was 15 years old and still have vivid memories. Didn't the Stones play about 30 songs? Amazing!!

Posted by: SessionsMartin ()
Date: August 10, 2006 02:43

So many memories sparked there. It was my 2nd concert and I shared a cramped mini-bus travelling 250 miles. We were with a guy who arrived at Knebworth but was very ill (both ends) and got taken by the ambulance people until the end of the concert. He was my mate so I spent the whole concert by myself and did it go on for hours and hours with little music. Lynyrd Skynrd were just great - a highlight. Yep, I prefer a hotel now. That mini-bus stunk with all sorts and it must have taken 4 or 5 hours to get home.

Martin.

Date: August 10, 2006 04:17

I would say that out of the pictures above, only one of them (the bottom one), is actually from Knebworth 1976.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 10, 2006 12:39

30 years to the day for what?

Knebworth was August 21st.

Date: August 10, 2006 12:47

At the time the stage looked brilliant, but looking at pictures it looks like a bouncy castle scene in a back garden.

Would anybody reccomend any knebworth dvds knocking around?

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: August 10, 2006 13:36

The Jointrip 2-DVD set seems to be the best version available, containing about 11 songs from the show, I think. The picture footage is very good. The sound is clear but in mono, with Keith's guitar very quiet. There are cuts between all the songs. It's still a gem, though.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 10, 2006 14:21

Actually it WAS the 21st not the 20th. The Stones were so late coming onstage that most of it actually took place on the 22nd, so the Tuesday Twickenham concert is the real 30th anniversary. I'll be celebrating it on that date anyway.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 10, 2006 15:48

Yeah, they finished about 2am didn't they ?

Date: August 10, 2006 16:01

Sleeping on the station? Luxury! Well i stayed in the woods next to my 1971 Norton Commando and woke to the sound of tweeting birds and laughter after all the part time londoners had sped back to thier home comforts.

And by the way Ocean73 that £20, with interest i reckon you owe me.......

Does anyone remember the Hairy Krishnas and thier free rice! I always prefered mine with a free Nelson Mandella.

Ok ok so the 21st. That means we can celebrate the whole three days yes?

And yes Logie those dodgy photos... there was no rain at knebworth in 76, in fact no rain in england that summer!

Date: August 10, 2006 16:18

Thanks joss and captain jack £20 was a lot of money in those days strange we kipped in some woods by the motorway and sure i remembered somebody with a norton commando?

Date: August 10, 2006 16:44

Captain Jack Sparrow Wrote:
> >
> Does anyone remember the Hairy Krishnas and thier
> free rice! I always prefered mine with a free
> Nelson Mandella.
>

Hey Captain, I remember those same Hairy Krishnas demanding the then princely sum of fifty pence each for a joss stick!

Oh and don't tell anyone, but I actuallly thought 10CC were quite good.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: August 10, 2006 17:03

Just a few weeks ago, I heard "Hand Of Fate" from Knebworth for the first time. It's an amazing version, listen to that one again!

Date: August 10, 2006 17:22

LOGIE Wrote:
> I would say that out of the pictures above, only
> one of them (the bottom one), is actually from
> Knebworth 1976.

How embarrasing...I've been misinformed. I thought they "blew" up the lips when Stones went on.

Date: August 10, 2006 22:54

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> LOGIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would say that out of the pictures above,
> only
> > one of them (the bottom one), is actually from
> > Knebworth 1976.
>
>
> How embarrasing...I've been misinformed. I thought
> they "blew" up the lips when Stones went on.

Erik, you're spot on! They inflated the stage whilst Pink Floyd's Echoes played on the PA system. It's just that one of the pictures incorrectly has some kind of grandstand on it, another is subject to adverse weather conditions, and in all of them (except the bottom one) the stage does not protrude far enough.

I don't usually nitpick. Must be the weather getting me down!

Date: August 10, 2006 23:18

Thanks, Logie, I like to be spot on!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 11, 2006 01:52

stones should really consider putting out a limited edition complete stones set cd/dvd combo of this great event

Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: August 21, 2006 01:00

21.08.1976 ... it was thirty years ago today!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home