Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why is Keith always on the right side of the stage?
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 5, 2006 19:13

Steve Howe from Yes is on the left side (as always)

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: August 5, 2006 19:41

I have found a few counter-examples myself, in the world of prog-rock. Steve Hackett, from Genesis (but he was sitting on a chair!), Gary Green, from Gentle Giant, are both RH/left side. As Steve Howe.
Perhaps because those are from groups were the guitar does not play an actual prominent role, and share the stage mostly with an elaborate and busy keyboard set.
Nothing scientific into this. Just a tendency I gather.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 5, 2006 20:26

You're right, must be a prog rock thnk...David Gilmour also used to be on the right side of Roger Waters

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 5, 2006 20:30

mayb Brian had sometin 2 do with dat

Posted by: scelsa ()
Date: August 5, 2006 23:01

He has poor vision out of his right eye

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 6, 2006 00:43

It's something that already started from the big band days, and it is comon ever since. The ruthm section is always to the high-hat side, the melody section is always on the other side. This means that the driving rythm section with a right hand drummer is always on the right side of the stage. It has been like this since the '20's. When you're in a band it's the natural thing to do.

Mathijs

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 6, 2006 01:19

It is kind of a natural set-up. In practice e.g when you're not all miked upo you probaly will want to be where the hi-hat is, but it is also visual. If you're behind the big ride cymbal ylou don't have t he drummer's eye.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Chav Watch ()
Date: August 6, 2006 01:21

Nearer the bog?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 6, 2006 05:38

Keith played stage left (on Jagger's right) at the Vancouver '72 concert. I always assumed singing Happy on opening night had something to do with it. I further assume they decided it was easier for him from the right side and back he went for the rest of the tour.

Date: August 6, 2006 21:03

>>Most of the right-handed guitar players I could come up with are playing on the right side (as viewed from the audience) - Keith, Brian May, Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, Kirk Hammett, Jeff Beck... Jimi Hendrix was left handed and mainly (on videos) I have seen him also standing on the left side.<<

I've seen Metallica live 5 different times and never though about how Kirk Hammett was always on the right side!!
And thanks for the interesting info everyone! We all know Keef kicks ass no matter what side he might be on.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: August 7, 2006 13:32

I guess this topic is pure non-sense.
I guess there is no specific reason why Keith has always been stage-left beside him liking to stay there.
Right handed? Tons of right handed guitar players were stage right too, Dave Navarro in Jane's Addiction, Johnny Ramone in the Ramones, Dave Murray of Iron Maiden, ROn Wood of the Stones, Kim Tahil of Soundgarden.

Joe Perry and myslef are lefties and we both play stage-left.

I guess in many cases is just because of emulation, rather than having a specific reason.

In my old band when I was 18 I used to stage stage-right and have the lead guitar player on the left, now in my Stones cover band it's the other way round, with the very same lead guitarist.

Posted by: Esperola ()
Date: August 7, 2006 13:55

Joe Perry is not left-handed.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2006 14:39

It had a lot to do with being able to hear and see Charlies drums in the old days I suspect.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: August 7, 2006 16:28

Esperola Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe Perry is not left-handed.
Whaaaaaaaat???
He is left-handed, have a look here.
He is left-handed and, as I did too, simply was given a right handed guitar when he started learning and ended up playing right handed, same as Mark Knopfler btw.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 7, 2006 17:04

Last show he was on the left almost the entire show!!

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: August 7, 2006 17:13

the same reason you always sleep on the same side of the bed...

haaa

Re: Keith's side
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: August 7, 2006 17:35

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the equally-right-handed other guitarists in the
> Stones have been on the audience's left.

For me, the question would be, "What side did they play on before they joined the Stones (where Richards had already claimed one side and the "other" guitarist was forced to the other side)?"

In the Bluesbreakers, Taylor played on stage left, or what this thread refers to as the right side (from the audience's perspective). What side did Wood play with the Faces?

Also, what seems somewhat anomolous is that Richards is between the the bassist and Watts. Usually the bass is close to the drums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-07 19:00 by Smokey.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 7, 2006 17:53

Yep, Smokey, having the bass player so far from the drums is the rare factor, IMO. I think all the issue about Keith being there is what it has been commented about Charlie and him being close so thay can hear each other. I seem to recall footage from the early days where you can see Charlie leaning over his left to hear Keith's amp better. For a right handed drummer it has to be easier lean over his right side, so maybe it was the reason to place Keith's amp on that side...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Sugar Brown ()
Date: August 7, 2006 20:17

he had to stay between Charlie and Bill trying to hear what they play...because the girls screaming to loud in the early sixtees! Chaos! No one hear no one!

KRichards was right!
the best place to be, near the clear drum from Charlie!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home