Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Danny Gatton was the greatest guitarist of all time.
Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: August 4, 2006 03:39

If anyone knows of him please speak.

"Is it any wonder that we fuss and fight"

Re: Danny Gatton was the greatest guitarist of all time.
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 4, 2006 03:48

Yeah, when i was around 15 and first started to learn electric guitar, my guitar teacher would make tapes for me to listen to and learn the music (i play by ear) and i remember him showing me this cd. Am i right in saying that danny gatton was a big tele player??

I can only remember one piece of music, but i dont know what its called. Perhaps the cd is from around 1992...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: August 4, 2006 03:55

Gatton is wonderful, he can play a wide range of styles but nothing beats his rockabilly instrumentals. Speaking of him, do you like Brian Setzer? I think he's a great player who is still rocking in this millenium.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: August 4, 2006 04:45

Brian Setzer is very underated. If you want to get a couple of great Danny Gatton cd's go and get 88 Elmire St. and Redneck Jazz. It will blow you away.

"Is it any wonder that we fuss and fight"

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 4, 2006 05:10

Danny Gatton was great! Saw him many times at different venues in the Washington, DC area.

Danny was adaptable at many styles and in fact that may have been one of the reasons that he never made it really big commercially. He was never associated or was promoted in any one area of music.

Saw him one night in DC for a 3 act concert. Danny opened, then Buddy Guy and then Johnny Winter. A great night of guitars but I much preferred Danny's set that night.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: August 4, 2006 06:37

Danny Gatton was someone I read about for yrs but only started listening to him last month, which is strange because I am a Telecaster kind of guy (That having been said, I do not own any Roy Buchanan--go figure). Picked up 88 Elmira St which absolutely smokes!

Brian Setzer is the MAN--that guy is one of my ALL-TIME favorite players--with Stray Cats and with the Big Band--which to this day is the loudest thing I ever heard live. What wonderful guitar playing. For those of you who play-pick up his instructional video tape--amazing--great player and he comes off as even a cooler guy.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 4, 2006 07:38

Jimmy Thackery anyone?

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 4, 2006 10:38

Yeah Jimmy Thackery is great too! Used to watch him all the time back in the early and mid 80's with the Nighthawks. The Nighthawks from that era were one of the best blues bands ever. Now a solo artist, Jimmy is still a pleasure to listen to. Very fluid, lyrical player.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: August 5, 2006 04:34

Glass Slide Wrote:

>
> Brian Setzer is the MAN--that guy is one of my
> ALL-TIME favorite players--with Stray Cats and
> with the Big Band--which to this day is the
> loudest thing I ever heard live. What wonderful
> guitar playing. For those of you who play-pick up
> his instructional video tape--amazing--great
> player and he comes off as even a cooler guy.

AGREED- Brian Setzer is GREAT!!!

Posted by: RDNZL ()
Date: August 5, 2006 05:53

Rory Gallagher is better!!!!!

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 5, 2006 11:16

i saw danny gatton play in DC... A great guitarist in any style, but sadly a very destructive guy... almost like he didn't want to succeed...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 7, 2006 16:11

Jimmy Thackery's great! Funny song: "Sold the Bitches Car and Bought Myself a Cool Guitar"

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: August 7, 2006 16:51

Rory Gallagher is great but pretty different from the above mentioned I would think...and Brian Setzer is always worth seeing...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 7, 2006 18:55

The greatest of all time? What's your criteria for bestowing this title on him? Sure he was great but so are so many others. When it comes down to it, who is the "greatest" at anything is subjective and a matter of opinion. Having said that, Richard Thompson is the greatest!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2006 19:04

Danny Gatton was a genius of a musician and guitar player. Amazingly gifted and a master of many styles, both traditional and off the wall.
That said, whilst I'm always impressed by his technical mastery of the instrument...he never made the hairs on my neck stand up like a chord from KR still can !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home