Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Anyone Still Satisfied w/ the Stones
Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:01

I for one have never thought it would come to this and they would keeping shitting on their fans that have been with them so long. Even the people on this board who defend their crappy and uncreative set lists, backing band and massive stadium tours seem to finally agree or understand at least why so many people have been complaining about these things since the start of the ABB tour.

Only people I have noticed still defending them with all they've got are BV of coarse and Jumping Kent to some degree. Many lads here who have been long time followers and posters are not going to upcoming US shows and have said they are done with seeing them live since they have not changed anything up. Ronnie is a disaster, the whole situation is just terrible. Everything is so staged it might as well be sponsored by Disney or is it already.

Keep playin You got Me Rocking and all the same hits Mick, your loyal fans are dropping like flies!!

Re: Anyone Still Satisfied w/ the Stones
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:33

Yes!!!
For every true musician - or for anyone proud of their skills - the first thing to remember is to do a good job! Especially for those who says "this is a very interesting stage...let´s see how far we can take this thing..." over and over again when talking to the press. INTERESTING...well, now you know, Keith.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:38

I just say to myself "This could be the last time I see the Stones";

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:41

reg thorpe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just say to myself "This could be the last time
> I see the Stones";

I say that as well,but only because they may not tour again.Otherwise I'm goin & I'm lookin forward to it.

Posted by: hotlips ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:46

Well please stay at home next possible tours/ shows. I saw 3 concerts now and they where better everytime i saw them. But some guys just want to keep the memory to their early years vivid by complaining about them now. Think!!!: Those days are never gonna come back!!! And be happy with the supershows they give now! It's hypocrite to complain , and still visit their shows. A lot of the people on this forum are really hypocrite!!! bah

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:54

reg thorpe Wrote:
> I just say to myself "This could be the last time
> I see the Stones";

---------------------------------------

Zurich I`m coming !!!

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: August 1, 2006 22:35

I think they have earned the right to do what they want!

Hey, if you only look at this board people are even complaining about their clothes and the length of their hair? Ya' gotta larf!

..and the last time I looked it was still volantarily whether you wanna support them by buying their records, their t-shirts and their concerts.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: August 1, 2006 22:38

Sure, the Stones earned the right to do what they want, but not with my $500.

Date: August 1, 2006 22:41

micwer Wrote:
> Sure, the Stones earned the right to do what they
> want, but not with my $500.

Then you just do not pay ;-)

Date: August 1, 2006 22:43

hotlips Wrote:
> Well please stay at home next possible tours/
> shows. I saw 3 concerts now and they where better
> everytime i saw them. But some guys just want to
> keep the memory to their early years vivid by
> complaining about them now. Think!!!: Those days
> are never gonna come back!!! And be happy with the
> supershows they give now! It's hypocrite to
> complain , and still visit their shows. A lot of
> the people on this forum are really hypocrite!!!
> bah

These are the kind of responses that I don't like. Telling me to stay home when they play or don't expect the 60s or 70s again. I DON'T expect that. read my post again. I said that I have seen many people here who I have known for a while say they are done with their shows and you can't tell me that you have ever seen so many Stones fans this unhappy. And I will stay at home when they play, my last Stones show was almost a year ago and I am not starting a thread like this to piss people like you off. I am doing this to see if people here are still interested. Cleary many people are not happy.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: August 1, 2006 22:43

yes

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 1, 2006 23:24

If you don't like the Stones anymore then why on earth do you spend time on a Stones board?

Bjornulf

Date: August 1, 2006 23:38

bv Wrote:
> If you don't like the Stones anymore then why on
> earth do you spend time on a Stones board?

Because I have been following the Stones my whole life and they are my favorite band. Is it wrong to have a negative opinion on what they are doing now or not like what they have become or turned into?

I can't just praise them if I am unhappy with a show I attended or their playing.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: August 1, 2006 23:41

Yes.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 1, 2006 23:41

bv, I think there is difference in "not liking them anymore" and not being satisfied with what they are doing.

If we don't like them anymore we won't critize them. It only shows that a lot of people are concerned about the boys!

Date: August 1, 2006 23:47

No, of course I'm not satisfied and it drives me crazy to see them going down! I mean I could lie to myself and tell myself how great they have been playing the other night. I could still live with their studio albums so far.

Posted by: RRMan03 ()
Date: August 1, 2006 23:50

You bunch of crying is a joke.I have seen them since the 60's when most of you were still between your daddys legs.Let me tell you they are much better know than then,Then they stayed wasted,played about a 10 song set and did not care if they played or not because they were making no money for it.Now it is a finrly tuned rock show and the object of working is to make money.I for one will gladly pay 100.00 per hour to see and here the greatest rock band ever.What else can you get for that price worth that.You all do not seem to understand that soon probably very soon this will be over and never to be seen again.Wakw the hell up go see history in motion before it leaves you behind.Then you can go see Brittany Spears or Madonna and remember how much you bitched about the Stones.I have never in 40 plus years been to a bad Stones concert.Some were better than others but never a bad one.In reality the earlier years were the worst shows.It is hard to work when you are wasted.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:04

erm... Let me get this right...

The set list stays the same for most of the tour. Compare this to tours in 69 - 73. How much did set lists change from night to night?

The important thing is whether or not they are entertaining. If you can only be entertained by seeing different songs each gig then your going to be stuck. I actually think they do mix it around quite a bit. Not as much as they could, but think about it.

Take the example of the 72 set list:

1. Brown Sugar
2. Bitch
3. Rocks Off
4. Gimme Shelter
5. Happy
6. Tumbling Dice
7. Love In Vain
8. Sweet Virginia
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want
10. All Down The Line
11. Midnight Rambler
12. Bye Bye Johnny
13. Rip This Joint
14. Jumpin' Jack Flash
15. Street Fighting Man

They generally played this same set list every single night and only occasionally put in a different song. On the whole tour I think they played a total of 25 songs. For the 73 tour they made very few changes - for example, adding 4 or 5 songs from the new album.

Now compare that to the ABB tour. I haven't counted the songs but they must have done about 50 songs so far on this leg. On the last 2 gigs they played 4 of the spots in the setlist with different songs (i.e. 8 songs in total switched around). That is 20% of the entire set each night. You have to call that a substantial variation in set list by any standards. How many big bands do you know who change one-fifth of their set from night to night? And they have dug out some rarely played material. For example, you have She's So Cold, As Tears Go By, Sway etc. That's in addition to the new ABB songs. Looking at the Amsterdam setlist, there are 7 songs which I have never seen them do live before. That is, again, a substantial part of the setlist (I haven't seen the ABB tour yet).

Know I know that they could take more changes and that they have alot of great back-catalogue that they could and should call on. I'm not trying to paint the picture that they are 100% perfect. However, I do feel that some people are over critical of set lists as if it is the be-all and end-all of the show. When you say that they are "shitting on their fans", I have to defend them. (Although if the reason you gave for shitting on fans was ticket prices I'd back you up).

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing them when they hit the UK.

Anyways, that's just my opinion on this contentious issue.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:12

I am perfectly satisfied. But I don't spend too much money and I don't go in expecting anything other than a Stones show. I also don't equate following the setlist and listening to 75 different boots each tour as part of the concert experience.

And I have said it before and will say it again, to be a "loyal" fan is to be taken for a sucker. If I were truly disappointed or offended, I wouldn't spend my money and I wouldn't spend my time on these boards. The band has to earn my business and respect and they have done alright so far. I have abandoned a few other favorite bands before.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:13

This is so boring...

If you don't like the stones, Why did you spend all day talkin' about them?

I'm very satisfied with the stones, they are still better than the 90 % of the actual rock bands.

About the setlist, I'm just goin to 2 concerts, and I would like to listen, as tears go by, rough justice, oh no not you again, streets of love, sway, she's so cold, get off of my cloud, night time, jjf,...

And the new album is excellent, imo.

Date: August 2, 2006 00:14

Look at that set list,then look at pre-1972 set lists.You'll see that they were bringing a mostly new set list with them so,there wasn't as much of a need to rotate songs during the tour.The same can't be said about the vast majority of the '05/'06 live songs.Most of them are being recycled from recent tours.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:21

hotlips Wrote:
> Those days
> are never gonna come back!!!

We're only talking about 3 years ago when the setlists were varied and interesting! We can't go back even three years? Tough rules....

Date: August 2, 2006 00:29

> You all do not seem to understand that soon probably very soon this will be over and never to be seen again

How do you come to this conclusion, RRman03? Sure we know. And the way they are doing business it's better to quit before nobody would attend any more shows. At least it's not what I wanted to keep in mind about the Stones.

And if you think you can judge because you are a fan since the sixties, I'm too. In those times they played because they loved to play and tickets cost how much? $3 ?? If you are satisfied with what they are delivering you might be a lucky chap!

Posted by: hotlips ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:35

not talking about setlist, but their style (of playing)

Posted by: NICOS ()

I'am altough I have some marginal comments

Posted by: Bjorn ()

I´m really getting tired...

Ok, I have no problem with the setlist.

But...if they even CAN´T PLAY the SETLIST? Then I have a problem.

Ronnie is lost. Keith most of the time. Charlie and Mick are working hard. I think you spit on Mick and Charlie - when the guitarplayers are just interested in booze and the myth. And you lot just think it´s ok???

I understand that you can´t hear it while you´re in the stadium - but check out the boots.

It´s not LOVE (you´re not helping anyone)

- when you tie a 58- year old mans shoestring. It´s pathetic.

I LOVE the Rolling Stones. But I hate to see a good ship sink - and everyone is acting like it´s still sailing...

But -I still respect your opinions. It´s great to have a place where we all can express ourselves!!!

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:37

It seems the only people who are bitching are people on this board who have not seen a show this tour. All the reviews from people who have seen shows this tour are positive for the most part so I guess most people are still satisfied.

Date: August 2, 2006 00:41

rknuth Wrote:
> > You all do not seem to understand that soon
> probably very soon this will be over and never to
> be seen again
>
> How do you come to this conclusion, RRman03? Sure
> we know. And the way they are doing business it's
> better to quit before nobody would attend any more
> shows. At least it's not what I wanted to keep in
> mind about the Stones.
>
> And if you think you can judge because you are a
> fan since the sixties, I'm too. In those times
> they played because they loved to play and tickets
> cost how much? $3 ?? If you are satisfied with
> what they are delivering you might be a lucky
> chap!

In all honesty - I do not sincerely believe that they need more money. Therefore it can only be the "spirit" that drives them - that they want to get well paid at the same time - but of course - you charge what people will pay ;-) (And in Denmark at least I've been paying about the same money for the last three concerts ..roughly 90 euro per ticket)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:43

sjs12 Wrote:
> erm... Let me get this right...
>
> The set list stays the same for most of the tour.
> Compare this to tours in 69 - 73. How much did
> set lists change from night to night?
>
> The important thing is whether or not they are
> entertaining. If you can only be entertained by
> seeing different songs each gig then your going to
> be stuck. I actually think they do mix it around
> quite a bit. Not as much as they could, but think
> about it.

(snip)

You make a fair point about static setlists in the old days and the fact that the main issue is whether the shows are entertaining or not

Youre absolutely right about shows back then (in fact for pretty much any tour prior to 1989) not changing much. The difference however in the setlist you posted from 1972 is that a) not a single one of those songs was more than four years old (so no warhorses) b) none of them had been played to death in concert c) only 6 of them had been played before in the US prior to that tour (and of those, GS and Brown sugar only a couple of times) and d) six of them were from the album they were touring behind.

With a show thats new and fresh, you dont need to rely on ever flexible setlists because theres no danger of the audience feeling "I've seen all this before". Compare that setlist to the show the Stones were touring behind on their previous US tour in 1969 and its effectively a different show.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 2, 2006 00:46

Rickster Wrote:
> It seems the only people who are bitching are
> people on this board who have not seen a show this
> tour.

Cant see how you figure that out

All the reviews from people who have seen
> shows this tour are positive for the most part so
> I guess most people are still satisfied.

I hate to be pedantic but "all" and "most" are not the same thing. I think most people still enjoy the shows - to a degree, but there are certain aspects of it they think have room for improvement.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home