Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Why do the Stones have so few hardcore fans?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 2, 2006 02:08

I guess another way to put the original question would be, why don't the Stones have more demanding fans (either in number or intensity)? Maybe it wouldn't work anyway... after all, dylan _enjoys_ playing new arrangements and rarities, it's his warhorses that more often sound tired. If the Stones wanted to play more, they would. Anyway, I'm not really talking about setlist whiners, which I'm not a member of, but about the lovefest atmosphere that's been happening for years, regardless of the quality of the show. keith and ron probably wonder how many flubs they could make without getting any kind of negative reaction. There's so much attention to the setlist and worry that fans will head for concessions, it's like the quality of the performance is a side issue. I just find the whole "we made it back again, let's stand here and gloat" overtone kind of annoying... on top of keith's constant hyping of how great "this band" is. Well, to some extent I should think the fan base deserves some blame for allowing quality slippage since they seem to go ga-ga regardless of what mishaps take place onstage. If the Stones haven't forgotten what it was like to be poor and hungry in the 60s (and therefore continue to lap up the $), they shouldn't have forgotten what it's like to be booed.

Then again, I do think they're really trying their best, within the framework of the decisions they've made...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 2, 2006 12:15

here's more food for thought on the declining % of 'hardcore' fans

on any previous tour, you could bet on about 95% of the Stones' concerts being in circulation amongst collectors by now. That was certainly the case on Licks, even though about 10% of the shows took place in theatres, which would have had less fans and increased security.

While the shows on the European tour seem to be filtering through already, of the 75 or shows played up to their enforced break following the New Zealand shows, about 20% of them still havent become available. Especially on the American part of the tour. Something which is absolutely unprecedented in the 25 years I've been collecting and quite amazing for an act thats been playing very large arenas and even stadiums.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 2, 2006 22:30

"I guess another way to put the original question would be, why don't the Stones have more demanding fans (either in number or intensity)? "

What would they demand and how would they demand it? The great thing about having so many hard core fans is that their attendence and money is taken granted therefore you don't really have to offer them anything or cater to them in any way at all.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 2, 2006 23:10

Dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What would they demand and how would they demand
> it? The great thing about having so many hard core
> fans is that their attendence and money is taken
> granted therefore you don't really have to offer
> them anything or cater to them in any way at all.

A good question. Most here would demand more varied set lists. I don't care so much about that, but better playing, less coasting. As I said, the message from each show I see video from seems to be, "we're here again, don't you love us? aren't you glad we didn't break up for good in the 80s?" At least from the keith side. And the response is yes, as you point out.

How: the only language they understand--the wallet. I guess I have been following this tack, as I have attended all of 2 shows between 1989 and 2003, for a total I think of $75.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home