Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Montana and Idaho Gigs
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 27, 2006 16:54

What do you guys think of the Stones doing these shows in what most Americans would consider to be the middle of nowhere? Certainly it's a gift for any Stones fans who may actually live in these places, and who for years have had to drive to Denver or Seattle to see a show, but then again, how many Stones fans really DO live in places like these? If you happen to be born in a place like that, and you love the Stones, or just love "big city" entertainment in general, don't you MOVE to where the entertainment is? And if you're FROM the big city, and one the reasons you love to live there is your love of big city entertainment, would you ever consider relocating to a place like Montana or Idaho? My guess is ticket sales for these two shows will be extremely slow, and most of the people who do attend will be making the trip from far, far away. You know, folks from the big city, who thought it might be fun to see a Stones show in the middle of nowhere, and decided to take a road trip just for the hell of it.

Re: Montana and Idaho Gigs
Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: July 27, 2006 16:56

i think its great they are playing montana and idaho!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: July 27, 2006 17:07

I was in Boise on business about seven or eight years ago and was surprised at how cool parts of the city were. They had at least one good commercial radio station (I remember hearing a Stones album track, John Hiatt, and Lucinda Williams), a blues club named the Blues Bouquet, and a handful of hip coffee shops and restaurants...it was like a mini Austin.

Ify ou go to the Idaho Center venue website you'll see that other somewhat big acts have played there, no doubt selling plenty of tickets. So, good for the Stones for playing Boise...it willbe appreciated.

One last thing, on the website soemone from the venue referred to the Stones as, and I paraphrasing here, "one of the biggest bands in American history." AMERICAN? I'm an American ...but the Stones? Maybe KR living in Connecticut is all it takes!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 27, 2006 18:17

inopeng Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > One last thing, on the website soemone from the
> venue referred to the Stones as, and I
> paraphrasing here, "one of the biggest bands in
> American history." AMERICAN? I'm an American
> ...but the Stones? Maybe KR living in Connecticut
> is all it takes!

I'm betting that whoever wrote that line really thinks they are an American band. From the South. Like the Allman Brothers.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: July 27, 2006 18:29

Here's the quote:

“We are proud to have the opportunity to host the biggest rock band in America’s history,” said Craig Baltzer, Idaho Center General Manager. “It’s truly a pleasure to change the canvas of local rock-n-roll history.”

Posted by: southboundtrain ()
Date: July 27, 2006 18:30

Tatters,

You bring up some good points, but I think you'll have a lot of people in Idaho and Montana into going to those shows.

Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: July 27, 2006 18:40

I can accept this because it's probably true. Please note it's not referring to the Stones as an American band, but they probably could be considered one of the biggest rock'n roll acts in American history in terms of sales and tours and radio airplay. Additionally they - alongside the Beatles - were probably one of the greatest influences of popular music coming out of America. You don't have to be American in order to affect American history. America is a country of foreigners and a melting pot of different nationalities.

inopeng Wrote:
> Here's the quote:
>
> “We are proud to have the opportunity to host the
> biggest rock band in America’s history,” said
> Craig Baltzer, Idaho Center General Manager. “It’s
> truly a pleasure to change the canvas of local
> rock-n-roll history.”

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 27, 2006 18:55

.... see ya all in montana, ill make the trip for that one!

Posted by: brokenhands ()
Date: July 27, 2006 19:43

I was stationed in Idaho for 2.5 years back in the early 80's, and have been wanting to go back to see what's changed. I'm very pleased the Stones are playing places off the beaten track - I saw very few shows during those couple of years in Boise, simply because nobody came to town. Sure, you may get the "Omaha-ed" setlist, but I'm sure those folks want to see the classics. If the setlist is why you go, then it's probably a good idea to skip this one. If you want to go someplace you've never been before, AND see the Stones, then what the heck! I now have an excuse to go back to the land of potatoes!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 27, 2006 19:48

Isn't it in Missoula where the Robert Redford movie :" In the middle flow a river" was shot ?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:42

When the Moncton concert was first rumoured, I stated here that if they were going to play a small city like Moncton, they should also look at playing in other small cities like Regina as well as some of the small cities south of the Canadian prairie provinces like Casper, Billings, Boise, etc.
I know the Regina concert will draw fans from all across Western Canada as well as the border states and I'm sure the Montana and Idaho shows will draw fans from other States, too.
For these small cities, a Stones concert is a once in a lifetime concert so they'll probably draw alot of fans with just a small interest in the band.

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:44

If they are going to bother with places like Milan and Amsterdam why not play some of these other remote areas as well?

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: July 27, 2006 22:11

phd Wrote:
> Isn't it in Missoula where the Robert Redford
> movie :" In the middle flow a river" was shot ?

do you mean A River Runs Through It?

that was filmed on the Gallatin River near Bozeman, Montana about 3 hours south of Missoula...

i will be there in late Sept, got a cabin rented right on the Gallatin... then on to Yellowstone and back up to Bozeman on the 6th and then a side trip to Missoula to see the Stones (im hoping), fly back east on the 7th..

should be a nice vaca as long as i dont meet up with a grizzy on the river haaa

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: July 27, 2006 23:37

Seems an awful lot to me like they want to add those States to their list because they never played there and this is their fairwell tour.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 27, 2006 23:39

--- "and this is their fairwell tour."

Farewell tour speaking of mega world tours, wasnt it?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 27, 2006 23:49

keefkid Wrote:
> phd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Isn't it in Missoula where the Robert Redford
> > movie :" In the middle flow a river" was shot ?
>
> do you mean A River Runs Through It?
>
> that was filmed on the Gallatin River near
> Bozeman, Montana about 3 hours south of
> Missoula...
>
> i will be there in late Sept, got a cabin rented
> right on the Gallatin... then on to Yellowstone
> and back up to Bozeman on the 6th and then a side
> trip to Missoula to see the Stones (im hoping),
> fly back east on the 7th..
>
> should be a nice vaca as long as i dont meet up
> with a grizzy on the river haaa

Thanks for correcting. I guess you will have great vacations up there.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 28, 2006 01:59

Pearl Jam drew 22,000 to Missoula and many bands have filled the Idaho Center, which will likely be configured to hold about 10,000 for this concert. Missoula just might do better than the some of the big city stadiums where they have saturated the market. Boise is booming and has grown a lot over the years.

Posted by: Rocfair ()
Date: July 28, 2006 05:05

My feeling is the STONES want to play every state in the USA before they retire.

How many States do they have left after Idaho and Montana?

South Dakota for sure.
How about Wyoming, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hamshire and Delaware?

They did play in play North Dakota: Fargo to be exact on the No Security Tour in 1999.

Don

Date: July 28, 2006 05:27

keefkid, the animals begin to feed, fatten up for the winter every sept., you may see your share of bear, moosers, lions amd humans..... its a great month to be up there in the montana area, a very trippy envirement, , ,
perfect place for the stones to show up on............
montana is the four largest state in the union and doesnt even have a million people,,, where i am, there was a million people at the car wash today!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 28, 2006 05:31

Rocfair Wrote:
> My feeling is the STONES want to play every state
> in the USA before they retire.
>
> How many States do they have left after Idaho and
> Montana?
>
> South Dakota for sure.
> How about Wyoming, Rhode Island, Vermont, New
> Hamshire and Delaware?
>
> What about Mississippi

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 28, 2006 07:18

With my luck, Montana and Idaho will get Sway and Chicago will get hit after hit after hit after hit after ,etc.

Posted by: LittleHelper ()
Date: July 28, 2006 10:38

yeah...i thought they would never play fargo,ND...but the old guys did it...dream come true to see them play here and not have to travel out of state..

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: July 28, 2006 10:59

Idaho and Montana would be the reason for me to sell my second air of jeans just to go there. Fans off the beaten track are the ones who make the concert a big event.

Date: July 28, 2006 17:09

soundcheck Wrote:
> keefkid, the animals begin to feed, fatten up for
> the winter every sept., you may see your share of
> bear, moosers, lions amd humans..... its a great
> month to be up there in the montana area, a very
> trippy envirement, , ,
> perfect place for the stones to show up
> on............
> montana is the four largest state in the union
> and doesnt even have a million people,,, where i
> am, there was a million people at the car wash
> today!

ya i know, cant wait hope to see some wolves also... no way i would go there in summer too many tourists ...

but im not insane like that grizzy man guy, im bring bear spray & bells, maybe a few guns, many BIG knives, and telescopic lens and tripod for the camera so i can keep my distance haaa

did anyone see that movie Grizzy Man?? i went to Alaska about 2 months after him & that girl were killed up there, everyone was talking about it, the guy was CRAZY i wont say he deserved what he got or anything but he did not respect the animals space that is for sure, plus i think he was some kind of wanna be 'star' or something a very strange man he was that is for sure and a real bad actor haaa i think he kind of had the right idea wanting to protect them and all but what an idiot he truly was sorry... in this movie he talks to these grizzlies like they his pet dogs or something...

the day they were killed, the bush pilot who flying out to pick them up said he buzzed low over this bear trying to scare it off and it just starting eating them faster... like my dog when he steals food and knows hes not supposed to have it...

what a way to go ... geezzzzz

Date: July 28, 2006 17:39

........ anything with teeth can bite

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 28, 2006 18:32

The Wild West!!!Thats great....indians in the crowd!!!Great happening it will be...I have this book ..Fargo Rock city...about mid west R&Rlers..nice read...Why dont they play Rapid city? Yeah, Nebraska...Dakota..Sioux...the badlands!!!

Date: July 28, 2006 19:03

soundcheck Wrote:
> ........ anything with teeth can bite

haa no shit, someone shoulda told this clown that, did you see this docu??

i was just like shaking my head watching this... he supposedly went to this same area in Alaska for like 13 summers straight, i am really surprised that he wasnt killed sooner... this one Alaskan pilot they interviewed said he thought that maybe the bears thought that there was something wrong with him and thats why they didnt eat him sooner LOL

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: July 28, 2006 19:29

Montana is stunningly beautiful. Just remember we're still on horseback out here and we might put you to work too. :-)

Date: July 28, 2006 19:54

Lil' Brian Wrote:
> Montana is stunningly beautiful. Just remember
> we're still on horseback out here and we might put
> you to work too. :-)

haaa no problem, im a bit rusty on horseback but i used to ride pretty well... for a city slicker from new jerzey anyway lol

tik prices should be a little more reasonable too, Giants (NJ) and Chicago are both $60-450, but Regina is $60-300 and Boston $62.5-352.50...

so this show looks good for me... hey, i can do Giants stadium show on the 27th, fly out the 28th, Montana show on 10/6 and fly back home 10/7 ... NICE!!

yea its all about me haaaa ...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 28, 2006 22:04

"My feeling is the STONES want to play every state in the USA before they retire. "

My feeling is the STONES want to play every place that offers the most money before they retire.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home