Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cologne show....my first live gig on this tour
Posted by: salar ()
Date: July 25, 2006 11:59

So after following, watching and monitoring the Bigger Bang tour since August 2005 on the internet, I had the pleasure to see my first gig on THIS tour in Cologne.
my impressions:

Of course it was a great show with a Great audience...and I was happy seing them again...BUT...but this was the first time that I had a very bad sound in the FOS section !!!
I was about 25 meters from the main stage away..untill the last 30 minutes the sound was awful in there... and it was far from perfect till the end !
I could not hear the saxophones on TD...but could not hear the guitars either.

Too many fast songs...and fast songs together with the poor sound is not a pleasure at all...the setlist mixture was "awful bad"...and do not call me a whiner..cause playing the same 15 songs again and again, but in interviews they always say" we have so many songs to choose from.."this does not fit together.

No blues...no Rambler..no BoMH...feel sorry about that..this is a Blues Band but they hide it from their fans..playing the Rambler once in 4 gigs is not enough IMO.

Where is Bigger Bang ?...2 similiar fast songs, which we here since last August
RJ &, Oh no..plus a pretty cool performed ballade by the way SOL...they are still not behind their own album....

What was wrong with Ronny ?...he was absent most of the time.

All in all....first time in my live..and I have seen about 40 gigs live..that I had mixed feelings after the show...I KNOW they can do much better..sound and setlistwise..and the guitars are still not loud and not clear enough..

I will see them again in Paris...so i can compare 2 following shows..hope they will do better...

See you in Paris

Salar

Re: Cologne show....my first live gig on this tour
Date: July 25, 2006 12:32

the sound in the field was superb

Posted by: Bockwuchsd ()
Date: July 25, 2006 12:37

They have played Nighttime is the right time. A great Blues song. Sound in the field was very good. All in all a fantastic show. One of the best Stones Shows I have ever seen. Jagger was in TOP form. Woody was indeed a bit strange sometimes. But I doubt that he was really drunk.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: July 25, 2006 13:04

Tell me... Sister M... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the sound in the field was superb

Depending on where you were. As I explained in the original Cologne thread, regarding the sound quality I had the same experience as Salar although I was not standing FOS but at the fence of the b-stage. As a result I can hardly comment on the quality of the playing (too muddy). Exceptions were SOL, ATGB, Night Time and Slipping Away where the individual sounds were discernable, although still a bit painful to the ears. Mick was clear apart from the b-stage (almost inaudible) which above all suffered from echo (probably because I was front row there). After the b-stage the sound somewhat improved, but certainly not to an extent to be enthusiastic about it.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: July 25, 2006 13:33

they will never change the setlist completely.... the audience is still freakin' out with satisfaction ...as well as they will not replace Ronnie Wood...he has reached a point where his playing (or no playing) has become pretty annoying...

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 25, 2006 14:00

As far as a bad sound goes, from any position, it can hardly be the fault of the band. Sound technicians are there to ensure a balanced and well received audial experience. It is very easy to say it was a bad gig because it sounded bad. But all touring bands heavily rely on the sound men to deliver.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 25, 2006 14:17

My impression of the Cologne show: The day broke hot and dry. The BIGGER BANG tour rolled into an awful steel and brick arena - with all the charm of a toolbox - in the middle of Germany called Rhein-Energie Stadion. The atmosphere was friendly and festive outside the structure. The well [over]-fed burghers of the 'Ruhr' area of Germany milled around in languid anticipation. By now The Rolling Stones are an institution, so tickets will be sold. But rolling into this much-delayed European Tour without any fresh material - either newly recorded or gleamed from 'A Bigger Bang' - is, in my opinion, a mistake. No new single is on the airwaves...and no video is to be seen. This robs the band of a certain amount of 'Buzz', and makes the long hot days of Summer 2006 longer still. 'A Bigger Bang' is now nearly a year old, and in this media-saturated world, that is an eternity. For the European leg of the tour why couldn't the Stones release a new single/video to refresh the memory of their fans to excellent new material like "Laugh, I Nearly Died", or a hidden classic like "Dangerous Beauty"? Such material would also freshen their stage repertoire and add a more challenging and more contemporary atmosphere to their presentation. No...the Stones of the Europe 2006 seem to be coasting. And this is deadly.

The modus operandi of a Rolling Stones concert is rather predictable. For a band with the richest and most evocative song-catalogue in the history of rock music this is a shame and nearly unforgivable. Yet normally, if the Stones are “on” one can overlook the predictability of the set chosen for large football arenas…the “fans” in these barns are mostly musical tourists looking to relive the clichés of “Brown Sugar” and “Start Me Up”, and are not interested in being challenged with the epiphany of a “Sway”, the heartbreak of an “All About You”, or the sophistication of the long-forgotten “Fingerprint File”.

Yet when the only new material played from their supposedly best album in over 20 years are 2 interchangeable [albeit blistering] rockers like “Oh No Not You Again” and “Rough Justice” – rockers that are similar to about 75 other such songs in their songbook - and a lovely ballad [“Streets Of Love”] one must ask the question “What are the Stones thinking?…”.

I do not expect a “Some Girls”-Tour-like blitzkrieg of 8-9 new songs in the middle of the set like in 1978…but a funky “Rain Fall Down” and a bluesy “Back Of My Hand” and perhaps an evocative “This Place is Empty” would have made for a more contemporary and bracing performance. Instead we got “She’s So Cold”, “Let's Spend The Night Together”, and another perfunctory “It’s Only Rock and Roll”. Not exactly spine-tingling stuff for the Stones fan that still wants them to be relevant to TODAY…not just fodder for the nostalgists in the crowd.

And herein lies the problem…if the Stones are “on” and firing on all cylinders, then even their unadventurous football-stadium set-lists sparkle with glimmers of fire and heat. But when they are less than on their game their intellectual laziness, weaknesses [and, thankfully, strengths] are exposed for all to see.

And on this night – as on countless other nights - their fatal weakness was Ronnie Wood. As a guitarist he has been a mostly erratic and uninspiring live performer for most of his stint as wingman to Keef Riffhard. What the Stones gained in camaraderie and on-stage buoyancy when he stepped in for Mick Taylor 31 years ago, they lost in sheer power and musicianship. On some nights, when he is concentrated and sober and playing professionally – as in the Licks tour show I saw in London 3 years ago – one can almost justify the loss of a fallen blues-guitar-God like Mick Taylor because Ronnie does a passable job and his licks are tasty, if derivative. On these nights Ronnie seems to give the Stones the wingman they need to make their music soar…and one can look back and assuage the heartbreak of losing a true virtuoso like Taylor.

But on nights like last night in Cologne, a true fan is furious at the Hand Of Fate that robbed the Stones of a man that could make the music soar upward, and instead gave us Ronnie, the silly clown mugging on the side of the stage with a fag in his lips and sinking song after song with clamorous and pathetic “solos”. Is he drinking again? Is he free-basing again? Is he trying to sabotage the Stones on stage with his ridiculous stabs at finding a melody line for his forays into "solos" and then pumping his arms in the air after playing 2 chords, like a 3 year old that wiped his own ass for the first time? Whatever he is doing I wish he would go do it somewhere else, and at someone else’s expense.

I know that readers of this review section expect to read adoring and glittering reviews of the Stones as they conquer arena after arena. Well, grow up and wake up. Go write for a fanzine or something. This section should include the unvarnished truth…good or bad…about the Stones. From true fans...not slobbering sycophants. And the news from Cologne is that IT WAS NOT A GREAT CONCERT. In fact parts of it were downright depressing. Sir Jagger should do the following…walk into Ronnie’s room before the next show in Paris and say, “One more show like the one in Cologne and you’re fired…out…gone”. If Ronnie repeats his Cologne shtick in Paris the Stones will get flogged by the press, I guarantee you.

As a veteran of over 30 Stones shows – and every tour since the Tour Of The Americas in 1975 – I have seen ticket prices climb from a then-outrageous $15 to a price of over €200 [$260] on this tour…for seats on the TRIBUNE half-way up to the clouds!!! For these prices the least one can expect is a professional guitarist to step on stage and deliver the necessary licks to make the Stones groove and swing. Either get it together fast…or you’re fired, Ronnie. You’re no longer reliable…and at these prices that is not acceptable. Not any more.

And the strengths of the Stones? Many. Keef is still the best rhythm guitarist in the world. Though his solos on some rock numbers have all the grace of a drunken bird attempting flight [he is not nor has ever been a true lead guitarist, and his weakness in this area is amplified on this tour because his cohort Mr. Wood provides little to no assistance], his guitar licks on the slow ballads and blues numbers are perfect and wonderful. And on the rock numbers his rhythm guitar attack simply defines all that is Sacred and Profane in Rock music. And his voice was terrific on his songs…amazing. He is a God. Charlie Watts is the Rock Upon Which The Stones Are Built. Enough said. Darryl is a terrific bassist. And the rest of the crew are top professionals. And what Chick Leavell lacks in funky swagger he makes up for in organization and perfectionism.

Lastly...and most importantly, Sir Mick Jagger remains the most amazing performer in rock history. His voice has IMPROVED dramatically at this late stage of his amazing career. Gone is the arena-rock-bullfrog-roar of many tours past. His singing on “As Tears Go By” and “Streets Of Love” was a revelation. His clarity of tone and phrasing are a miracle…and he carried the band the entire show in Cologne. I actually felt sorry for Everybody’s Lucifer as he danced and sang and attempted to make the songs soar…and had to watch as Ronnie Wood sank them into the murky crowd whenever the guitar breaks came. I never thought I would feel compassion for Mick Jagger. On this night I did. He embodies professionalism and transcendent charisma and talent. He deserved better. So did I. So did everybody who paid hard-earned money on this show. The clock is ticking. Is anyone listening?

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 25, 2006 14:22

Turd On The Run Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Is anyone listening?

I am, and that review was a tour de force. Thank you.

Date: July 25, 2006 14:25

Nice read. I too think MJ is at his best. My last gig Wembley 03, there are many 18 year olds who could not keep up with him. Just watching him perform left me knackered. I've read, all performers are Jaggers apprentice. And with good reason. I also think he is in his best shape ever.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 25, 2006 14:28

I have been saying that for a long time: Ronnie can´t play anymore. That´s how it is. But then I always get @#$%& back for saying that.

A lot of people are in love with the myth - so spellbound that they don´t hear what Ronnie does.

Glad, Turd, that not all people on this board seem to be completely tone-deaf.

Seems like few people can handle the truth.

Date: July 25, 2006 14:34

Ronnie was drunk as hell sunday...

Date: July 25, 2006 14:39

Thanks, gentlemen, for your time and nice comments on my review of the Cologne show. It is so discouraging to read these brain-dead fan 'reviews' of shows where every song is great and every solo is amazing. Such simple-mindedness is understandable when you're 17 and you see your favorite band...not when one is a true connoisseur of a band's material and one is forced to wait years in between tours and then pay through the nose for the privilege of seeing them live in a cow-palace with 60,000 other 'fans'. One must be a bit more discerning and grounded in reality. The fact is the Stones have made very big mistakes on this tour...from lack of sufficient fresh new material, to flogging the same old warhorses every night, to allowing Ronnie the leeway to put up 'performances' like the absurd pantomime he delivered in Cologne on Sunday. I run my own company...someone in my team pulls a stunt like that in front of paying clients...he is history. I know I would be. I think you all would agree.

Diamond rings, Vaseline, you gave me disease, well, I lost a lot of love over you.

Date: July 25, 2006 14:40

For me, a bad Stones gig is still a good one. They have age against them and personal certain problems. As I see it, seeing them on this tour is part of the overall package that comes with my Stones collection and 30 year interest in them. Bad years, good years. But overall I'm glad I stuck out my enthusiasim. The Stones have had wilderness years. And me too with them. One should not take this tour for granted. What they are achieving now is outstanding. Whatever form it takes.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: July 25, 2006 14:56

I agree with most parts of Turds review although it's hard for me to face the truth being one of the biggest Ronnie-fans. But in Cologne he was totally out of it. He looked, acted and played as if he was totally drunk which I doubt he was but whatelse was wrong with him? He played a lot better in Hanover and Berlin, but Cologne was Ronnie at his worst. Sad but true. Nevertheless I enjoyed the show, and I agree with jagger50 here when he says a bad Stones gig is still a good one. I wouldn't even say it was a bad gig in Cologne. So off to Paris for another great show....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:05

Rronnie

I'm glad you mentioned that about him playing better in Berlin and that you were at Cologne too and able to note the difference in the space of two days, because otherwise it would be hard to believe things could change that much from one show to the next unless you were there.

Very worrying also to hear so many comments about bad sound on this leg of the tour so far - even in FOS areas. Consensus was that it had improved on previous tours. I find it inexcusable that a band who charge as much as the Stones do for a ticket still manage to persist with such a half arsed attitude to the sound system and have sound crews who rarely seem to be able to produce a mix that most people find acceptable.

Date: July 25, 2006 15:13

I will be FOS in Stuttgart on the 3rd of August...hoping that what I saw from Ron Wood in Cologne was an anomaly...or a bad dream...yet knowing that it wasn't. I love the Stones heart and soul...and it is difficult for me to watch Ronnie sabotage the band in such a manner. If he has indeed fallen back into an alcoholic haze it would be most unfortunate. Let's face it...he wasn't around for much of the recording of 'A Bigger Bang' due to this problem. And now his live performances have become so erratic that it threatens the performance of an otherwise great band. This is serious. He was in rehab whilst Keef rested from his head injuries...he was in rehab during most of the 'A Bigger Bang'recordings...this is a pattern of unreliability that sickens me the core...he has become a terrible liability to the Stones. I could forgive this if he were Brian Jones...somone that brought so much genius and dimension to the music of the band...but not Ron Wood. I am willing to bet that Mick Jagger is equally disgusted and has given Ronnie an ultimatum before the Paris shows.

Date: July 25, 2006 15:16

It grates me to here about Ronnie. I loved him before he joined the Stones. But beating the bottle is extremely hard. Not to mention giving up the weed. So all in all his performance may not be so bad as first thought. Given his present health battle. I am a huge admirer of his work. Especially with Rod. Also his artwork. And a straight forward likeable chap. So I hope you can work it out Ronnie. We love you.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:26

How can everyone have seen the same show? This is like Rashomon, the great Japanese movie, or Hoodwinked, the cheesy crappy animated American movie.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:32

Hey, Turd on the run. I agree with your criticsm about Woody in Colongne. But don't you think you are going over board it's like your making reality about the stones way worse then it really is. I mean you a downer from 1975 pricr tickets to present.What is that all about that's thirty years. Have you heard of the price of living going up do you realize how many people have a good paying job because of the machine your so down on. It just seems that people like you are in this tunnel vision of the stones and what they are supposed to be there not 21 years old anymore! What ever period you liked them in stick to the good memories!I do believe if Woody ever acts the way he did in Koln they should fire him. Yhe problem is Woody has them by the balls though. Who going to fill that spot right in the middlle of a tour with what 30-40 shows left. Woody played really Good in all the concerts i've seen until Koln hey it's one night don't be crying your rederic because of one night but if he keeps it up it is a real problem it was almost like he was trying to sabotage keith and mick taunting them on as tears go by laughing behind there back etc.. it's way out of line. I don't think he was drunk i was 1st row on his side. The bummer thing is no one has mentioned is maybe all the Baseing and booze has taking it's toll on his brian MAYBE IT"S FRIED PERMANTLY!

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:41

When I read this thread I am really glad I did not go to Cologne after Berlin!

Date: July 25, 2006 15:44

Hey stonesfrk...no 'Tunnel Vision' here...just 20/20 clear-eyed realism from a true fan of the Greatest Rock 'n roll Band in the world. You and I both work for a living...and what the Stones are charging per ticket would dictate that every member of the band RESPECT THE FANS and their devotion to the band. A performance like Sunday's by Ronnie is utterly disrespectful to the legacy of the band, and the fans who have participated in that legacy. You write; "I do believe if Woody ever acts the way he did in Koln they should fire him. Yhe problem is Woody has them by the balls though. Who going to fill that spot right in the middlle of a tour with what 30-40 shows left. Woody played really Good in all the concerts i've seen until Koln hey it's one night don't be crying your rederic because of one night but if he keeps it up it is a real problem it was almost like he was trying to sabotage keith and mick taunting them on as tears go by laughing behind there back etc.. it's way out of line. I don't think he was drunk i was 1st row on his side."

So you and I agree, basically. What Woody was doing up on stage was absurd and disrespectful not only to the audience but ALSO TO THE BAND. Unreal! Now I'd like to see Jagger add fresher material to the set list...I'm not interested in going to an 'oldies revival show'...let 'A Bigger Bang' shine.

Date: July 25, 2006 15:46

lovin' the duplicate posts, turd - hell, why not put them in the 'Just Got My Twickenham Tix' thread also?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-25 15:48 by nikkibong.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:48

Given all the comments by Turd, i'm quite interested in a recording of this show.

I'm just trying to 'chat' with 2 different posts at once...apologies...I feel so passionate about this and I really want to hear what other dedicated fans are thinking.

I agree totally with your last post! Maybe Ronnie doe'nt know how to act when he's straight. It is a real problem that needs to be addressed that's for sure i will be at the Paris Gig FOS Keith's side fortunatly. I just hope that keith and Mick so up on that side of the stage a litle more.

Date: July 25, 2006 15:50

just kidding turd, as i said earlier, i really enjoyed your review . . . (in a slightly sado/masochistic war, of course!)

Date: July 25, 2006 15:53

although ronnie was bad, cologne was the best show i've ever seen !! jagger was unbelievble..

Date: July 25, 2006 15:54

The show was Fbulous minus Woody half of the night. Charlie was the best i've ever seen him he got into this groove that was unbeleivable and keith matched him. The second half of the show was total Keith and charlie in this rooling stones funk that unfortunatly i don't think Woody could take part in musically i can't wait to hear the boot myself. I think koln and Hannover are a toss up of the best show's in Europe so far. I can't Say about Berlin as i was on stage which was alot better then i thought it would be.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:54

Salar and Turd,
Thanks for the reviews, you should try to get them posted by BV on the concert pages, ha ha, no chance something written that is critical of the band would be posted. But these are the kinds of reviews I love reading, well thought out opinions of the shows from true fans. Thanks guys.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 25, 2006 15:55

Let's hope for a good recording

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home