Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stansted - Twickenham
Posted by: tussler ()
Date: July 19, 2006 14:06

How long is the distance between these two places? And could someone recommened how I get from Stansted Airport to Twickenham? Taxi, train, bus etc...? Never been to such a big city before ( I need a guidesmiling smiley)

Re: Stansted - Twickenham
Posted by: Joss ()
Date: July 19, 2006 14:11

I think it's pretty far & would cost a fortune in a taxi; try this website for working out the public transport:

[journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk]

Date: July 19, 2006 14:17

Thanks.

Stein

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 19, 2006 14:22

Dont even think about it by taxi..you may as well get a plane to New York. Stansted is about 40 miles north of London's city limits, and Twickenham is a few miles outside the city to the south-west.

Train from the airport to Liverpool Street is the best way to get into central London. From past experience, you might get a cheaper rate on the rail journey if you buy your ticket on the plane, but that may just apply to certain airlines. Worth checking out when on board, though.

Date: July 19, 2006 15:00

Well, I changed airport. I arrive on Heathrow instead. Thanks Gazza.

Posted by: Marroc ()
Date: July 19, 2006 15:01

Hi Tussler

Get the Stansted Express (non stop) train from the airport to Liverpool Street station. Then take the west-bound Central Line (tube/subway) to Tottenham Court Rd station. Change there onto a south-bound Northern Line train and then get off at Waterloo. From Waterloo, you need to get an overland train to Twickenham.

There is a London journey planner here [journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk]

Marroc

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 19, 2006 15:10

tussler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I changed airport. I arrive on Heathrow
> instead. Thanks Gazza.

best way to do it. heathrow and Twickenham are only a few minutes apart. You dont even need to go into London.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: July 19, 2006 15:29

Hey Tussler

A quicker and less expensive option is Stansted Express overland train to Tottenham Hale, cheaper to buy a return online.

Then buy a 1 day zones 1 - 6 Travelcard ticket at Tottenham Hale.
Then take underground train from there direct to Vauxhall station.

From Vauxhall ask for overland train services direct to Twickenham, your Travelcard ticket can be used for this and any other journeys you make until midnight that day.

Journey time should be under 2 hours, but allow for longer.

What time are you due to arrive at Stansted, and where are you heading for after the concert ?

Date: July 19, 2006 15:30

oops! just seen you're flying into Heathrow instead.

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: July 19, 2006 15:49

Going from Stansted to Twickenham seems quite an ordeal!
I might miss the concert if I don´t hurry on the 20th August! Unfortunately, I will arrive in Stansted past 4 p.m. (bought the plane ticket before the change of venue from Wembley to Twickenham)

So the second option, barking paul, is faster? Do you know the website were I can buy the Stansted Express train Ticket to Tottenham Hale or is this purchase method only possible within Great Britain?

Gerda

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 19, 2006 16:16

If you fly to Stanstead you fly Ryanair may be. They sell tickets to the Express on the flights. With a discount. And you can buy them on the internet, and on the airport. The express is quite fast 45 minutes every half our at least and more at 4pm so you should have no problem getting to the show in time. Standstead is in fact more reliable than Heathrow, as it is small and fast, out in no time.

The Stones will be on stage 8:25pm sharp as always, +/- 5 minutes, as there is a curfew at 10:30, and they can't pass that one.

Sure Twickenham is almost next door to Heathrow, but it is not that easy to use public transportation between Heathrow and Twickenham. You have to use train, change at some station or dig up an odd bus that might take you there. Or a taxi that cost quite a lot.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 19, 2006 16:23

Fot those who look cheaper but slower ways of transportation between Stansted and Central London, there is Terravison Express Shutle, non-stop coach service. Departures every 30 minutes:

Stansted- Liverpool St. ca 55 mins £6.70/£11.80 (return)
Stansted- Victoria Station ca 75 mins £8.10/£13.50

More options here:

[www.stanstedairport.com]

Quick question: is it better to take Liverpool St or Victoria to reach Twickenham?

- Doxa

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 19, 2006 16:34

Victoria for sure.
from victoria take a train to Clapham Junction (5 mins)
change to Platforms 5 and 6....
take train to Twickenham (15 mins)

easy.

Date: July 19, 2006 16:35

Gerda

try stanstedexpress.com for Stansted to Tottenham Hale info.

try www.tfl.gov.uk for London (to include Twickenham) travel info.

I'd suggest instead of going to Vauxhall, take the underground train to Green Park (Victoria Line) from Tottenham Hale. Then change to Waterloo (Jubilee Line).
From Waterloo take overground train to Twickenham.

Reason for suggesting this is that the trains from central London to Twickenham start from Waterloo. As you're travelling on a Sunday services will be limited (unless they run 'specials') so trains will be very crowded with those going to the concert. If you try getting on at Vauxhall the trains may be so full, that you might not get on, so Waterloo is best.

If you arrive at 4pm you should be at Twickenham stadium by around 6.30

Date: July 19, 2006 16:40

Thank you all of you. Now I only need a ticket to the concertsmiling smiley

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: July 19, 2006 17:05

Barking paul, Bjornulf, Doxa,

Thanks -

Didn´t think about the weekday (Sunday!!)

Thank you/you/you :-)!!!

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 19, 2006 17:42

A taxi fom N London to Stansted cost £50. From N London to Twicks cost £45.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 19, 2006 17:52

THanks for your posts here. I'm not looking forward to this travelling in London, myself. I'm a nervous wreck allready.

Date: July 19, 2006 17:52

jagger50

'N London to Stansted cost £50'

huh ?

Date: July 19, 2006 18:26

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> THanks for your posts here. I'm not looking
> forward to this travelling in London, myself. I'm
> a nervous wreck allready.

I`m sorry Erik to open this threadsmiling smiley When I began to search after these places in London on google earth, I began to worry.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: July 19, 2006 18:32

Dont even think about Taxi from Stansted to London on a sunday afternoon. I spent £50 and more than two hours by doing that some years ago.
Take the Stansted express train every 30 min (45 min trip) about £22 with return, or National Express bus every 10 min (1 hr 45 min trip ) about £16 with return, directly to Victoria station.
I will recomend Stansted Express

Date: July 19, 2006 18:45

barking paul Wrote:
> jagger50
>
> 'N London to Stansted cost £50'
>
> huh ?

Yes. I have travelled a lot from my N London home to Stansted . But it is a private cab company. Not the Black taxi that London is famous for. So if you take what we call a mini cab try and pr-arrange this. There are some drivers who illegal tout trade. But outside Stansted there are a lot of police about. By train it's quick 45 mins to central London. And not too difficult onto to Twicks.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 19, 2006 19:33

Thanks, I'll use this info in October, that's when my Fiance', by then she'll be my Wife, fly into Stansted.

We're staying in Kensington at the Copthorne Tara. Anyone stay there or know of the Hotel?

Date: July 19, 2006 20:49

Just a tip to anyone travelling on the London underground in August. Or now. Take a bottle of water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home