Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

four flicks msg - why was it cut?
Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 13, 2006 18:57

I didn't recognize this show as one I had already seen--during the original broadcast--until those awful pastel screens came up between songs. The lighting looked darker than I remembered. Anyway, does anyone know why was the b-stage cut from the disc?

Re: four flicks msg - why was it cut?
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:08

all the shows had something cut for the DVD - but i'm not sure that the B-stage did for the MSG dvd . . .

then again, i'm not really qualified to answer. ErikJJF, where are you?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:15

the MSG missing songs are : Start Me Up, Tumbling Dice, Jumping Jack Flash.
Start Me Up was available on a BestBuy Promo DVD advertising forthcoming releases

All 3 shows featured on FF have missing songs :
[www.doctorstones.net]

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:18

Yes, the FF is missing some songs, but the BOTH the MSG shows are easily available in perfect quality on Bootleg DVDs. They were great shows, but the 16th January show was better, in my opinions...

JR

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:18

huh? i'm pretty sure JJF is the encore on the FF DVD . . .

what's up, doc?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:21

Nikki is right....encore...JR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-13 19:28 by stone-relics.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:22

Sympathy was dropped from the MSG disc.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:33

gimme shelter was dropped from msg, instead they put that boring twick version on it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-13 19:34 by melillo.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:51

JJF is the last song on all three of the four flicks concerts.

On the MSG DVD, there is brown sugar from the b stage, which i believe is the version that appears on live licks. Also when the whip comes down and IORR are performed on the b stage and are on the dvd from the garden.

I can never make up my mind which dvd i prefer. I love all three for different reasons. I think SMU from the olympia is a killer version, all those hands clapping at the beginning. I was at the second twickenham show and saw them in toronto at the skydome so its nice to watch the stadium dvd to relive the memories of the stage etc. But I really love the MSG dvd setlist, with rambler and 'knocking', and I've still never seen the stones in an arena, so thats cool to watch.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:58

Maybe they did it because of disc space though I doubt that. More likely they did it to minimize repetitive songs. I think it sucks. Any real "fan" wants to see the show(s) un-cut and in their entirety. Sheeeesh....would it kill 'em.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 13, 2006 19:59

Doc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Start Me Up was available on a BestBuy Promo DVD
> advertising forthcoming releases

I had never heard about that. Do you have any more info on that promo dvd? I'd like to find a copy of it.

I have the MSG show complete on an "officially released" VHS tape that HBO sent out as an Emmy Awards screener. It is the entire show as originally boradcast live, thus it does not have the minor changes that were made for the later broadcasts of it. The only negative is that every 30 minutes, there is a notice flashed on the screen indicating something to the effect that it is an Emmy Awards screener.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 13, 2006 22:52

I updated my list of missing songs.
Here it is again : [www.doctorstones.net]

To answer your question Halup, it is a DVD entitled "Coming attractions - volume one"

It comes in a regular plastic DVD box.

Start Me Up isn't complete though, only the 1st 2 minutes.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: July 13, 2006 23:10

Sympathy for The Devil is missing from MSG 4 Flicks DVD.

You can notice it when Mick sings ooo ooo ooo and then Keith starts with the classic JJF riff

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 14, 2006 01:06

I really wish they left Rip This Joint on the Olympia Show. they aslo left out IORR on that one.

I aslo wish they kept start me up in the twickenham show. if YGMR is good enough to be shown on two discs then why cant start me up be on two.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: July 14, 2006 02:43

The MSG Disc had the B stage on it. It has When the Whip comes Down on it . I remember well because something pissed Keith off really bad. He had that look in his eyes like he could kill someone(Mick) . Because he said something to him and Mick kind of made a jesture back at him. HAve no idea what that was about but he was really pissed about something

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: July 14, 2006 03:15

Some things about the MSG disc...

'Street Fighting Man' has some editing to it. I remember on the original broadcast, after the "marching, charging feet boy" line, Keith hits a bum note on his guitar while doing his riff. On the DVD, it has been edited out. On a second note, I get chills when Keith first walks out and the place erupts and then Mick comes out and you hear the place erupt even more.

Before 'If You Can't Rock Me', you see a few seconds of Keith walking forward with his telecaster. On the original broadcast, this is where he starts 'Start Me Up', but on the dvd it cuts out to a view of the stage.

I love the version of Monkey Man on here.

Before 'Don't Stop', Mick gave a "speech" (?) using various HBO shows in it. Something along the lines of; "We aren't 'Six Feet Under' but tonight it's 'Sex In The City'. This has been edited out. Oh yeah, and Mick's voice cracks at one point, specifically after the bridge following the first guitar solo when he says Don't Stop.

You can see Mick smiling throughout various parts of 'Let It Bleed', which is cool to see because it's rare Mick lets his enthusiasm show through like that. You can see him smiling when Ronnie's playing his solo. The guy is into it.

I don't like the way the chapter for Midnight Rambler starts in the middle of the riff. Fine version though. I love before the "heard about da boston" part where their playing a slow jam and Ron keeps bending these notes and Keith smiles in approval. I also love when they bust into the jam at the end.

They cut out Mick's embarrasing 'cell phone' segment before the band intros. Thank god.

You can see Charlie picking his nose at the beginning of Thru and Thru. This is also one of the few times youll see Charlie mess up; his timing is off in some parts.

They cut out the backstage footage of Mick and Ronnie with the bananna backstage before Gimme Shelter. Shame they didn't include Shelter on here.

Keith starts the riff to Satisfaction before Mick expects it and you can hear Mick's reaction.

Keith gets pissed on the B Stage during 'When The Whip Comes Down' because he thinks Mick's guitar is too loud. You can see him shoot a look to the cameras, yell something at Mick, and then Mick turns the volume on his guitar down.

Keith looks possessed at the beginning of Jumping Jack Flash.

Anyway - my favorite of the Four Flicks shows followed by Olympia and then Twickenham. The MSG show is just a fun show overall. I've never seen a DVD for the rehearsal show though - I'd love to see that. That night had a shit hot version of 'Shelter' - great weaving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-14 03:16 by deuce.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 14, 2006 09:32

Why do they mess with shows by editing? Don't tell me that it's because casual fans don't want multiple versions of the same song, or that casual fans don't want to hear mistakes, etc. Because "casual" fans don't buy 4 discs worth of the Stones.

Date: July 14, 2006 10:08

if I can commenet on when the whip coems down MSG for a moment... the way i always interepreted that is that Keith is taking on a sort of punk persona. to me, hes not waving his arm at mick , but at the camerea, as if to say 'fukc off'. doesnt seem to be direceted at mick to me.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 14, 2006 10:28

The why is mick sticking out his tonque at keith when he looks at mick?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: July 14, 2006 22:14

one thing I noticed for sure is how Mick got pissed off that they bowed after the B stage set. I guess he thought it didnt make sense since they were going to bow again two songs later, which I would agree with. He makes this grimacing face and then Keith points at him and laughs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-14 22:14 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: July 16, 2006 02:43

if YGMR is good enough to be shown on two discs then why cant start me up be on 3 ????????????? I like YGMR, but Start me up is from another planet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home