Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dancing with MR.D and GHS
Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: July 5, 2006 22:14

I think that song is awesome ,very cool midtempo riff starts off their most talked about album;I think its a cool departure from the raunch rock of Exile...PS I;m glad they didnt do Exile part2;Jamaica mellowed them out with all that green,green,greenPS It seems like 100years ago

Coming Down Again

Re: Dancing with MR.D and GHS
Posted by: 12X5 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 22:28

'Mr.D' is the only song on GHS that I don't like. Sorry. It's like some sort of self parody of Sympathy for the Devil. It's the lyrics that really kill it for me.

Date: July 5, 2006 22:33

do you agree if it took sympathys place in the set it would blow away stones fans?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 5, 2006 22:47

Dancing With Mr D is childish lyrically when compared with Sympathy For The Devil but apart from both songs having a similar theme of the devil, evil etc. they have very little in common. Dancing With Mr D isn't in the same league as far as song quality goes but really this is besides the point as it's the mood and feel of the song that is important and not the lyrics.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 6, 2006 09:14

one of the worst

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 6, 2006 09:49

Did nobody listen to the brillant live versions of the 1973 tour (soundboards from Hamburg, London, and Brussels)? I do not compare it with SFTD because these are two very different songs from different eras(!). But for me, Dancing with Mr D fits marvelously into that great, great Tour of Europe 1973!

(I can't help it but nothing has been fascinating me more over three decades about the Stones than these live recordings which IMHO are the best ever).

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: July 6, 2006 17:03

@nikkibong: your list of "worst stones songs" must be very impressive indeed!

i actually like the song; more than the album as such, which for me in average is too "slow"!

Posted by: Ernest Craven ()
Date: July 6, 2006 17:37

One of the best

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 6, 2006 19:08

i tend to love the stones' tunes that have a bit of mystery/voodoo/dark sound: 2000 lt yrs., child of the moon, citadel, sympathy, parachute, gimmie shelter, monkey man intro, rambler, most of ya-ya's, heartbreaker, dancin' w/ mr. d, can you hear the music, fingerprint, heaven, etc.

Date: July 6, 2006 19:12

all very great songs winter and I agree with voodoo/mystery/tag you gave them

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 6, 2006 20:48

wandering spirit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @nikkibong: your list of "worst stones songs" must
> be very impressive indeed!

well, rest assured, I'm absolutely crazy about EVERYTHING on wandering spirit!

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: July 6, 2006 21:13

Worst track on the album by far. Hide Your Love & this prevent GHS from reaching classic status.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 7, 2006 15:49

Here we go again.

If Dancing With Mr. D. (and GHS) were so great we wouldn't see these constant threads of people trying to talk themselves (and others) into liking it.

DWMD on GHS is a D-U-D! The Emperor has no clothes!

Date: July 7, 2006 18:46

I beleive it,s down to your taste,Dancing with Mr.D aint that bad,alot of people prefer the melodies of GHS over the raggedness of EOMS ,like I said on another post somewhere all there albums take you on a different journey it just depends on what trip you want to take,PS don,t get me wrong I love Exile also I just think there are other albums to enjoy as well

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 7, 2006 18:58

winter, don't forget "Break The Spell". I think the song is more about death than the Devil, per se. Listen again. I could be wrong, but I doubt it! winking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 7, 2006 19:00

apparently, it's either one of the worst or one of the best?

I suggest it's one of the most middling.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 7, 2006 19:41

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> winter, don't forget "Break The Spell". I think
> the song is more about death than the Devil, per
> se. Listen again. I could be wrong, but I doubt
> it! winking smiley

definitely. my list wasn't about lyrical content (ie death or devil or voodoo), it was more about songs that have a 'mysterious' feel. break the spell definitely fits the mold, as do others i didn't list, from the wierd almost non-song that is Continental Drift to a modern keef slow number like Thief in the Night. there's even touches of that feel on ABB in parts of Laugh,I Nearly Died and Back of My Hand, or Might as well get Juiced from B2B.

i just really like that kind of 'mood/flavor' epitomized by Dancin' w/Mr D and those others, even though i prefer the kickass rockers more. not many groups can get that (or any kind of) sense of 'mystery' vibe successfully recorded, though obviously the cure, peter gabriel, the cocteau twins and many of the early solo blues players like rob't johson and bukkha white did.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 7, 2006 19:44

Yeah, my post is kinda confusing (sorry), but I meant Mr. D was about death,not the Devil.

I like that voodoo hoodoo vibe too. John Fogerty gets it on some of the CCR stuff. too - "Run Thru The Jungle", "Tombstone Shadow", even "Born On The Bayou".

Date: July 7, 2006 19:44

WINTER I'M SPEECHLESS you hit it on the head again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home