Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

July 3, 1966
Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: July 5, 2006 15:57

This was my 1st Stones concert at Asbury Park, New Jersey's Convention Hall. God! I'm getting old!!! 40 years ago. I can still hear all the girls screaming for Brian!

Re: July 3, 1966
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 5, 2006 15:58

Wow, you're a very fortunate person! I wasn't even born in these days ...

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: July 5, 2006 16:00

Wayne - how about writing a short report on that show for us. I'm sure we would all be intersted in reading it. Hope you can still remember some details no matter how trivial.

Andy

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 5, 2006 17:12

I second that emotion. Its always great to hear first hand accounts of shows from so long ago

Its great that you can retain your enthusiasm after 40 years

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 17:19

WOW, you saw Brian play. And the golden age of the Stones about to make their mark on history. Tell us more.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 5, 2006 18:17

That's amazing! You even beat my neighbour, who was on the ocean, and saw them in Honolulu 66 - 3 weeks later

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 5, 2006 19:40

did you tape it ?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 5, 2006 20:17

vancouver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> did you tape it ?

I guess that was quite a challenge in 1966,
but it could be done

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: July 5, 2006 21:08

Right on! That was before my time too. Would love to see pix! Yeah Brian was the one they all screamed for!
You should write a review of the show for the Brian Jones Fan Club.
www.brianjonesfanclub.com

or write Trevor Hobley at

editorbjfc@aol.com

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: July 6, 2006 14:46

Here goes:
1st up: The Tradewinds???
2nd up: The Standells from Boston (Dirty Water)
3rd up: The McKoy's: (Fever) (Hang On Sloopy)
Last: Stones...I used to bring a small pad and pencil with me to Stones Concerts to write the songs down in the order they were played. I still have a "yellowed" piece of paper in the archives from that day that I am looking at now. I hate it when you guys make me dig into the archives.
1. Not Fade Away
2. Get Off My Cloud
3. Stupid Girl
4. Lady Jane
5. The Last Time
6. Paint It Black
7. 19th Nervous Breakdown
8. Spider & The Fly
9. Satisfaction
On Paint It Black, Brian sat cross-legged at the end of the stage, playing the sitar. I Don't remember him looking up once, all you saw was this head of golden hair, and all you heard were girls screaming out his name.
On Lady Jane he played the dulcimer, which is what I found out later it was called.
I took a bus from Newark, NJ to Asbury Park and back. My brother & I went. You could hear the Stones practicing in the afternoon, but you couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. There were too many distractions: the waves crashing on the beach, because you were right on the boardwalk. This is many years prior to Bruce's Asbury Park, and the place was beautiful at the time. Another distraction were literally thousands of beautiful girls in bikinis.
It was a blazing hot day...over 100 & humid. The fans in the front rows were actually handing up ice cream cones to the Stones. I guess the Stones played about 35 minutes, it was the days of the 3 minute-song.
The sound was horrible, and even if it was better, you wouldn't have been able to hear, because it was the days of Beatlemania, and all the girls were screaming out "BRIAN"...not Mick, in those days, Brian was the man.
That is all I recall...hey, it's been 40 years.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 6, 2006 14:56

Nice Story!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 6, 2006 15:21

Wayne - thank you. I'm always looking for verified setlists to add to my setlists page, so we'll use that one (with a credit to you, of course)

Posted by: dj ()
Date: July 6, 2006 15:31

Great story Wayne!!

Posted by: novica ()
Date: July 6, 2006 15:40

wow !
now, that's a story...."The sound was horrible, and even if it was better, you wouldn't have been able to hear, because it was the days of Beatlemania, and all the girls were screaming out "BRIAN"...not Mick, in those days, Brian was the man..."

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 6, 2006 16:34

Great story telling...Made me feel like I was there, can see myself on the bus and then some people on the boardwalk, even Brian playing sitar without raising his head...

Thanks W

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home