Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fight between Chuck Berry and Keith?
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: July 1, 2006 15:22

We were talking about this on the Dutch Stonesforum.

I recall reading something about a fight between Chuck Berry and Keith, and that being the reason that there were virtually no Berry-covers played after the Bridges To Babylon tour.

Anyone know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-01 15:23 by Reptile.

Re: Fight between Chuck Berry and Keith?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 1, 2006 17:33

chuck is a jealous arse who cant accept the fact that he is not nearly as famous and wealthy as the stones and it eats at him in every living moment.,
and i love it

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 1, 2006 17:40

i don't *know*, Reptile, but what i've heard is that when Johnnie Johnson (love & light!) sued Chuck for royalties
Chuck felt that Keith was one of the main "motors" behind that. the lawsuit was thrown out and Chuck and Johnnie apparently reconciled,
but i've heard that Chuck started demanding excessively high fees when the Stones used any of his tunes.
i don't know if that's all accurate, but ... there it is.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 1, 2006 18:58

Interessting. That Chuckster really is a pain in the bottom.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 2, 2006 02:26

Lizard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interessting. That Chuckster really is a pain in
> the bottom.

Yes, but contrary to him, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are well known for being the nicest persons in music business, never let their ego bother anyone...

- Doxa

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 2, 2006 02:30

I heard that chuck brings in around a million dollars a year as a mix of back royalties, current tour dates and corporate shows. I know he hasn't done that badly.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: July 2, 2006 02:30

with sssoul Wrote:
> i don't *know*, Reptile, but what i've heard is
> that when Johnnie Johnson (love & light!) sued
> Chuck for royalties
> Chuck felt that Keith was one of the main "motors"
> behind that. the lawsuit was thrown out and Chuck
> and Johnnie apparently reconciled,
> but i've heard that Chuck started demanding
> excessively high fees when the Stones used any of
> his tunes.
> i don't know if that's all accurate, but ... there
> it is.

Hmmmmm...I do think that there are general rates going for using someones music....otherwise I would not think anything would ever get played or covered *lol*

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 2, 2006 02:33

mr_c_ox Wrote:
> I heard that chuck brings in around a million
> dollars a year as a mix of back royalties, current
> tour dates and corporate shows. I know he hasn't
> done that badly.

And he keeps it all in grocery bags in his basement so he doesn't have to pay taxes on it. It's amazing that the Chuckster is 80 and is still going. All that cash must be making him young.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 2, 2006 02:47

I remember reading somewhere (probably a message board) that the Stones wanted Chuck to join them for a song or two for the Dec. '97 St. Louis PPV, it being his hometown and all. Chuck wanted some exorbitant fee to do so, Mick/Prince Rupert/Cohl/whoever told him no, and the damage was done.

You've gotta give Chuck credit for being a stubborn old bastard, even if he is his own worst enemy.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 2, 2006 03:15

yeah i heard that one also, and i believe every word of it, thats chuck
just thinking he is bigger than life, when he sure as hell aint

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: July 2, 2006 04:01

Chucks head is hard as a rock. And as EC put it Keef is a 100 times better guitar player.

We've seen a million threads on who can do what "solo" and it seems everyone can do a chuck berry-type solo. BUT....Keef is the best of all time- no doubt about it. he blows Chuck or ANYONE else away..............

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: July 2, 2006 08:01

The real reason was the Johnny Johnson lawsuit.
When Chuck won, he told the press the whole thing "was instigated by Keith Richards and Bo Diddeley".

Date: July 2, 2006 10:47

>> When Chuck won <<

Chuck didn't exactly win the lawsuit - it was thrown out of court because too much time had passed since the writing of the music.

>> I do think that there are general rates going for using someones music <<

i think so too, but i don't know that there's no way for an artist to demand more than the going rates.
but as i said before, i don't know if the version i gave is totally accurate; it's simply what i've heard.
in the version where the problem was his demand for exorbitant rates for appearing in the St Louis PPV,
how did that then lead to them not playing any more of his numbers? the Stones got miffed and just refuse to cover him anymore??
after all Keith has been through with Chuck (including being punched in the nose, set on fire and thrown off stage) (not all at once! LoFL)
i think it would take more than one more Chuck Tantrum to put Keith off the cat's music. but what do i know ...

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-02 15:03 by with sssoul.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 3, 2006 14:24

>>after all Keith has been through with Chuck (including being punched in the nose, set on fire and thrown off stage) (not all at once! LoFL)

what? wait, hang on
I've heard of the punch on the nose - but set on fire and thrown off stage?

I've only seen HailHail Rock'nRoll once, when it came out.
when was that - 100 years ago?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 3, 2006 14:44

I do believe that all these things about Berry are one of the reasosn Keith still loves the old cougar.
Keith blows CB out of the water though on guityar. Berry live nowadays is just a fool. His songs are great, but he barely plays them. Where Chuck is good today is on little known minor key blues, where he actually seems to find a reason to play music.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: July 3, 2006 15:49

>> I've heard of the punch on the nose - but set on fire and thrown off stage? <<

yeah, Chuck dropped a lit cigarette down Keith's shirt one time in 1983 when they met by chance at an airport;
another time - at some small club gig i guess - he threw Keith off stage for playing too loud.
he said later he wouldn't have done it if he'd recognized Keith, and also apparently apologized for it ... to Ronnie :E

- Keith

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 3, 2006 16:40

ah, thanks
Chuck sure is a pain in the ass quite often, but I guess we couldn't have done without him.
all kind of things need a little salt - but it can easily be overdone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2553
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home