Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT New Stereo Equipment
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: June 29, 2006 22:41

Have you noticed that many stereo items and other electrical items such as flat screen TV/moniters can't be turned off. They are either on or on standby. Have they made a deal with electric companies?

Re: OT New Stereo Equipment
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: June 29, 2006 23:02

yes i bought a reciver...(used) i think it is 5 or 6 y old.? on my old reciver,
i bought ca 15 y ago,i could do it,,

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 29, 2006 23:04

Its likely in the menu, so check deep in the settings, it should turn off...

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 30, 2006 00:46

Yeah, my Kenwood receiver always has a red light on.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2006 00:51

Just kill it at the mains....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 30, 2006 16:16

I've heard this keeps the circuits warm and therefore last longer; apparently the constant heating up and cooling off of curcuits shortens their lifespans...at least that's what I was told!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 30, 2006 18:49

There's some truth in that. It's also true that higher quality kit sounds noticeably better when it's properley warmed up. My preamp hasn't been turned off for about ten years apart from the occasional move for room decorating!
[And it's really ON...not just on some "standby" setting with no power to the audio circuits.]

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 30, 2006 19:08

You are supposed to hit it real hard; with like a hammer or something. I'm pretty sure that's where your problem lies: not big enough hammer.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 30, 2006 19:18

I have a really old, but really big stereo. Well, I call it old, it's mid 80's. I put in a Sony CD player(CD players are so friggin' hard to find but you need one instead of a DVD player for the quality). The annoying thing is that you can't put it on standby, let alone turn it off with the remote control. Which sucks because you have to get out of bed to turn it on/off(lazy)!!

So don't whine!!

Date: June 30, 2006 21:01

I still play records. Mind you, I do have "perfect pitch".
[The ability to toss a record onto the spindle from my bed ten feet away]

Date: June 30, 2006 21:14

Interesting, thanks guys. A technician said a T.V. on standby uses more electric than when it's on. I have a pre-amp for my rega turntable but when I go to bed I prefer to swithch the mains off. Maybe I'm a worrier. Fires can be started at night through electric mass usage. And who has enough plugs in the home anyway. Not the working class that's for shure so we use multiple adaptors. So I prefer to take care at snooze time.

Posted by: SFTD ()
Date: June 30, 2006 21:18

Guaranteed to turn off if you take a leak on it.

SFTD

Date: June 30, 2006 22:51

"I have a pre-amp for my rega turntable ..."

Cracking deck. Which pre-amp ? [do you mean a phono preamp like the Pro-ject Phono Box.]

Date: June 30, 2006 23:22

My amp is a new design Creek. Because not many people use a turntable now you have to use a phono pre-amp connected between the turntable and amp. And it gives a better sound to the record. Of course it's a Creek produced pre-amp. Isn't it amazing that vinyl listeners are in the minority. For me and those in the know vinyl is where it's at. But let's not start that one up again. I play records just as often as CD's. For those that don't know, more and more bands are releasing on the vinyl format also. If you put the effort in you can find many new releases on vinyl. I have all the Stones albums on CD. That are available. I keep them to preserve the sound. But where possible, and I believe all albums are available on vinyl except Forty Licks (Am I right?) I play records. Check it out. But I'm shure everyone here has loads of Stones records.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 30, 2006 23:57

If it has a remote control the unit cannot be completely shut off or it will not see the remote command to turn on. I really don't think there is more to it than that.

Date: July 1, 2006 00:44

Haven't seen the latest Creek amps. I remember the first one. The original 4040 that Mike Creek used to build in Friern Barnet in the late 80s. One of the best budget amps of it's day and also a classic partner for the old Rega. Brings back fond memories .

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 1, 2006 10:45

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just kill it at the mains....

Exactly. I have a turntable that works great except the on/off switch is broken and it won't go off as long as the power's on. But no worries, I have it plugged into a power strip that has an on/off switch. Problem solved!

Date: July 1, 2006 10:58

I have an effects processor for guitar, still haven't figured out how to turn it off, I always just pull out the plug. Strange.

Date: July 1, 2006 13:48

A lot of guitar effects have the power switched via the signal jacks. When the guitar chord is plugged in, the power is on. That's why with battery powered effects it's important to remember to unplug them when you put the guitar away ;^)

Date: July 1, 2006 15:56

Spud Wrote:
> Haven't seen the latest Creek amps. I remember the
> first one. The original 4040 that Mike Creek used
> to build in Friern Barnet in the late 80s. One of
> the best budget amps of it's day and also a
> classic partner for the old Rega. Brings back fond
> memories .

I used to have the Creek 4040 from Barnet and Rega 3 turnrable with Proacc Tablettes speakers. But they are old now so I have just bought all of them again but in modern day format. The amp is huge and heavy. Intergrated Evo amp. But it gives a much more richer sound. The Rega has a better sound now but depending on how much you want to pay for the cartridge. The Tablettes are slightly smaller but still comfortably sit on their chosen mounting. I have wall mounts. Standing plinths can be filled with sand. But it all depends on your room size. Of course there are better systems around but I'm not rolling in money.

PRICES 2006
Pro Acc Tablettes £700
Rega turntable 3 £350 (includes normal cartridge)
Creek, Evo Intergrated Amp £550
Banana plugs x4 £18
Cable 2x6 metres £36

Believe it or not here in Copenhagen some stereo cable costs £900 per metre. Some air filled cable costs £2,600 for 2x6 metres. But you can't change your ears.

Date: July 1, 2006 16:03

Spud Wrote:
> A lot of guitar effects have the power switched
> via the signal jacks. When the guitar chord is
> plugged in, the power is on. That's why with
> battery powered effects it's important to remember
> to unplug them when you put the guitar away ;^)

I know, I have this set up:

Guitar - Morley wah - Proco RAT - Korg AX1500G

The RAT indeed goes off when the guitar is plugged out, it's on batteries, so I've figured that out by now. But whatever I do the Korg stays on. I have to pull out the plug.

Date: July 1, 2006 16:05

The Tablettes were always good speakers. They were competition for the Linn Kans and later Tukans in my day. The Rega turntables, with their unconditional lifetime guarantee, are the best value for money pieces of HiFi on the planet.
Always have been.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home