Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

IORR london gang off to see John Fogerty tonight!
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 29, 2006 20:31

Hey all,

It seems that a few of us here are attending the John Fogerty gig tonight at London's Hammersmith Appollo. Paulywaul, Roadster32 and myself will all be there with company. Sitting here with a beer, cranking 'the long way home' cd.
I'm sure it's gonna be a great show, i'll let you know how it was later. Hope to bump into my fellow stones fans while i'm there, share some stories and a beer or two.

See y'all...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Re: IORR london gang off to see John Fogerty tonight!
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 29, 2006 20:42

Have fun. Saw him a couple of years ago in Atlanta, best musical experience of my life. Get as close as you can.

Date: June 29, 2006 20:56

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have fun. Saw him a couple of years ago in
> Atlanta, best musical experience of my life. Get
> as close as you can.

Sixth row my man....!!

Ok, I'm off to rock!

Date: June 29, 2006 21:02

He does a great mix of new stuff from Deja Vu (almost all of the CD), classics (lots of CCR), obscure stuff (Tombstone Shadow, Ooby Dooby, Rockin' All Over The World, Almost Saturday Night, etc.), and his older solo stuff (Centerfield, Old Man, etc.). Go to his website and check out some of the fans' reviews. All positive.

Note to Rolling Stones, try this (except the solo stuff). Nobody left during the new or obscure stuff. In fact, they loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-29 21:03 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 29, 2006 21:06

After John does Night Time tonite, tell me who you think does this song more justice...he or the Stones....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 29, 2006 21:44

should be great - and we of course hope that while youre in the bar before and after the show, youre making plans to 'host' many of us in August!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 29, 2006 21:46

good p(o)int, Gazza...in fact, given the relative short time between now and then, I see no reason for them to leave the bar until we arrive....

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: June 29, 2006 23:38

Have fun and enjoy it. John Fogerty is one of the world's best rock'n roll actors.

Saw him in 97, it was quit a surprise. One of the best moments in my life.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 30, 2006 01:30

well why not there are no stones to see, lol

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 30, 2006 02:17

Midnight 29th June .................. just reached home, have poured glass of wine, and am basically totally f***ing speechless. Can't think, can't write, just got the sounds of Credence running through my brain. In a word ........ WOW !! Words fail me !! Exceeded my expectations hugely.

More tomorrow, right now have to reflect on this whilst drinking wine and listening to Sweet Hitch Hiker and It came outa the Sky. Sorry folks, gotta run .......... CCR callin' !!

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: June 30, 2006 02:31

was Willie Nelson & family backup & did fogerty do" Ramble Tamble "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-30 03:31 by chippy.

Date: June 30, 2006 14:59

What an incredible show.

Amazing band, no support, just fogerty and his band, playing 2 hours of solid rock and roll. They opened with Travelin' Band, played loads of CCR plus some of Johns solo stuff that I recognised and a few that I didnt. We had great seats, 6th row, and even though our seats were right on the end we still had a great view, and the sound was awesome. Luckily our section had plenty of people standing up so me and my friend were able to have a boogie, dancing like @#$%& the more beer we drank.

JF is good fun to watch on stage, a 61 year old man jumping up and down, running over to the edge of the stage and stopping just as it looks like he's gonna fall into the crowd. He genuinely enjoys himself, and he still has an incredible voice. Born on the Bayou and Fortunute Son sounded incredible with that raw powerful voice. The venue is great, it holds between 4000-5000 depending on whether downstairs in seating or standing.

Paulywaul, I think I saw you and your friend, but you got to your seats pretty late and I didnt wanna miss the start so I stayed put! Were you the one with dark hair and glasses, or the one with, er.... no hair ?!

To Gazza, sure, everyone is welcome to Putney for pre show Hi-Jinx before Twickenham!!

Date: June 30, 2006 16:20

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
> What an incredible show.
>
> Amazing band, no support, just fogerty and his
> band, playing 2 hours of solid rock and roll. They
> opened with Travelin' Band, played loads of CCR
> plus some of Johns solo stuff that I recognised
> and a few that I didnt. We had great seats, 6th
> row, and even though our seats were right on the
> end we still had a great view, and the sound was
> awesome. Luckily our section had plenty of people
> standing up so me and my friend were able to have
> a boogie, dancing like @#$%& the more beer we
> drank.
>
> JF is good fun to watch on stage, a 61 year old
> man jumping up and down, running over to the edge
> of the stage and stopping just as it looks like
> he's gonna fall into the crowd. He genuinely
> enjoys himself, and he still has an incredible
> voice. Born on the Bayou and Fortunute Son sounded
> incredible with that raw powerful voice. The venue
> is great, it holds between 4000-5000 depending on
> whether downstairs in seating or standing.
>
> Paulywaul, I think I saw you and your friend, but
> you got to your seats pretty late and I didnt
> wanna miss the start so I stayed put! Were you the
> one with dark hair and glasses, or the one with,
> er.... no hair ?!
>
> To Gazza, sure, everyone is welcome to Putney for
> pre show Hi-Jinx before Twickenham!!

Mr Jimmy,

Neither of those descriptions fit me I'm glad to say (especially not the "er ..... no hair" one) - so whoever it was you were lookin' at, it wasn't me. We'll meet up one of these days, worry not. Anyway, sounds like we're gonna meet up at the Rollin Stoned at the 100 Club on 18th August - that's for sure !!
Yes, wasn't it an outstanding show? To hear those Credence songs again - It Came Outa the Sky, Green River, Travellin' Band, Sweet Hitch Hiker, Fortunate Son, Proud Mary, Born on the Bayou, Grapevine, Bad Moon Risin' ........... the list goes on and on and on ?? It was an absolute privilege to have been there. One of the most superb events I've been to in a good long while, and bear in mind that in the last 2 weeks alone I've seen the Who and the Eagles !!

The show started with a drop down screen onto which was projected some youthful images of JF, Credence etc, followed by a tribute/introduction by Bill Clinton (which presumably must have been original footage from when JF might have played at the White House ?) - and then he appeared and launched straight into it. The only other time the screen came down was when he spoke very briefly about having been drafted, about the Vietnam conflict, and about a song he wrote at the time. He then performed it, ands simultaneously they projected some images from the war and and some of the protests that were taking place in the States at the time. It was tastefully done, kept agreeably short so as not overdo it, and all in all it came off very well and got a very warm response from the audience.

The encore was amazing, if only for the choice of songs. The first of the two songs he did was "Rockin' all over the World" by Status Quo. A great choice, and it would be fair to say there wasn't a single person not standing up and jumping around for that.

I'd been looking forward to seeing this guy for YEARS, so glad I finally managed to catch him, he surpassed all my expectations. I just wish we'd see more of him here in Britain.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 30, 2006 16:33

Rockin' All Over the World, by Status Quo...I dont think so, JC Fogerty wrote that one! Its on the John Fogerty Lp. Side one, track one....

JR

Date: June 30, 2006 20:51

Glad y'all had a good time!

The other song he does with the screen is "Deja Vu All Over Again", written about the current war situation. Sounds a lot like "Who'll Stop The Rain" (about that other war).

He is really incredible.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 30, 2006 21:00

I saw JC right before I went to Chicago for the Stones tour opener in 97...tremendous shows!

JR

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: June 30, 2006 21:06

How long did he play?

Date: June 30, 2006 21:17

stone-relics Wrote:
> Rockin' All Over the World, by Status Quo...I dont
> think so, JC Fogerty wrote that one! Its on the
> John Fogerty Lp. Side one, track one....
>
> JR

Ok, didn't realise that. Teach me to pay more attention. Also, the song that I call "It came Outa the Sky" is actually Travellin' Band", I just call it that in honour of those fantastic lyrics - the opening line. 737 came outa the sky .......... etc etc.

Mirko: He played for 2 hrs, about 8:20 to 10:10 and then a 2 song 10 minute encore.

Date: July 1, 2006 23:51

Sorry again, pauly, 2 different songs - "Sky" and Travellin'". Both mention the sky, so do "Sky Pilot", "Skyline Pigeon", and "Purple Haze" among others.

Date: July 1, 2006 23:53

Mirko, my friend, I'm in a smart ass mood today. He played until he finished! All kidding aside, go see this legend if you get a chance.

Date: July 2, 2006 17:25

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Sorry again, pauly, 2 different songs - "Sky" and
> Travellin'". Both mention the sky, so do "Sky
> Pilot", "Skyline Pigeon", and "Purple Haze" among
> others.

Eh ? I'm getting right confused here. Anyway, the song I'm enthusing about is definitely called Travelling Band and the outrageously delicious lyrics that have evidently scrambled my brain are those that start something like "737 comin' outa the sky, won't ya take me down to Memphis on a midnight ride" .........

Tomorrow is "The Long Road Home" purchase day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-02 18:37 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 2, 2006 20:27

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 23:20 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 2, 2006 20:48

He got that great singing voice because he couldn't afford a speaker, when they started playing in the 60s. He had to surpass the drums and guitars.

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: July 2, 2006 21:32

Hey Elmo!
Runs the show like the new dvd?
i will go from Ingolstadt to Hamburg to see John and on the next day the good Billy Idol is in Hamburg and then I will travel to Berlin for the Stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-02 21:33 by Mirko.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 2, 2006 21:37

its a shame how FOGERTY treats his old bandmates, but he is a great songwriter and performer

Date: July 3, 2006 01:19

Beelyboy Wrote:
> did he do 'travelin' band'?

Sure did, he opened with it. And it just got better and better from thereon. It's been 3 days now since I saw him and all I've been doing in that time is playing CCR !!! Honestly, one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Date: July 3, 2006 02:40

paulywaul Wrote:
> Beelyboy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > did he do 'travelin' band'?
>
> Sure did, he opened with it. And it just got
> better and better from thereon. It's been 3 days
> now since I saw him and all I've been doing in
> that time is playing CCR !!! Honestly, one of the
> best shows I've ever been to.

Me too paul, i've been playing 'the long road home' cd all the time, it was just such a good show. Not life changing, but life-affirming and makes us forget about all the crap things in life. I have this image of him that keeps going around in my head when i think about the gig, of him jumping up and down with his guitar, shaking his head with his mouth wide open!! Great stuff.....

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: July 3, 2006 20:38

all is said so far about this show. it was just great. great perfomance, great voice, great playing and a great band.

it was just like listening to ccr (except 2 songs).

looked for other iorreans but i think i just saw mrjimmy short time before the show began.

concerning jf one of the best shows i ever saw.

concerning the london crowd it was absolutly disappointing especially the ones seating in the middle section. they just sat there like there was a funeral going on. we had row 4 center and we stood up from the beginning of the show. after the fifth song we were forced to sit down. people aroung us were throwing thing at us. absolutely disgusting audience. after the middle of the show we went on the right side and were standing there, dancing and singing untill the end of an outstanding concert.

Date: July 3, 2006 23:14

"Travellin' Band" is the great CCR song that he's been opening with ("737 coming out of the sky..."), not to be confused with another CCR song that he's also been playing as of late "It Came Out Of THe Sky".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home