Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ot: anyone like twisted sister
Date: June 26, 2006 18:08

i was just wondering if anyone else on here like twisted sister? i think they are an awesome heavy metal band from the late 70's and 80's. its funny how the better metal or hard rock bands from the early 80's fizzled out in the mid 80's right before the kind of music they helped make popular really broke big. here are a few examples of bands that were big and the beginning of the 80's but fizzled out before the end of the 80's. twisted sister, quiet riot, w.a.s.p., y&t, dokken, whitesnake, original van halen, autograph, hanoi rocks.

Re: ot: anyone like twisted sister
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 26, 2006 18:14

Spot the difference:-

Actress, Sarah Jessica Parker:-

Twisted Sister's Dee Snider:-

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 26, 2006 18:21

NO

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 26, 2006 18:28

Sarah doesn't have the beauty mark.

I think there are many of us (mostly old-timers) who never jumped into the metal band stuff from that era. I will resist making snide remarks about the music, but suffice it to say it's at least one-generation further removed from the roots that fed the 60's icon acts most of us cherish.....

Date: June 26, 2006 18:41

so far some bad mouthing. i'm glad some people said no or said no with a reason though, i respect you for that. whats with the people who make everything a joke? influences on twisted sister are new york dolls, david bowie, judas priest, motorhead, ac/dc, lou reed, steppenwolf and about every rock n roll act from the 50's. they covered "ts only rock n roll"a lot and i have plenty of concerts where they do a ton of 50's rock songs in a row like long tall sally, tutti fruity, jailhouse rock, train kept a rollin, great balls of fire, i hear you knockin, carol, school days, rock n roll music.

Date: June 26, 2006 18:53

if you say so. I'm just saying what metal i've heard doesn't suggest these bands are particularly rooted in say, the blooze, that so characterizes the Stones' music, for instance. Maybe they do - but I dare to say that Muddy Waters himself wouldn't recognize much/any of his influence in these acts. That's not a damnation of the music, understand, just a statement of probable fact.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 26, 2006 19:51

I am a confirmed "House of Hair" junkie.
Hair metal is a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 26, 2006 20:12

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 02:42 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: TombstoneShadow ()
Date: June 26, 2006 20:23

Isn't Twisted Sister one of the bands that the Red Hot Chili Peppers parodies in their Dani California video ?? I can identify most of the others: Hendrix, the Beatles, Nirvana, the Sex Pistols, Bowie, and Parliament Funkadelic... but not sure if it's Twisted Sister or Poison or maybe even Motley Crue and a couple others...

Date: June 26, 2006 20:32

i fell for all the hair-metal bands. It's such a guilty pleasure.
they have such catchy songs! they were colorful, loud and i liked the gloss of the sound.

Poison was a big fave of mine. I liked Ratt and Twisted Sister.

Btw
i was watching Jagger solo in Japan 88. Now theres some make-up and hair Bon Jovi would kill for!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: June 26, 2006 20:33

enjoying Stonestod's expression, "a statement of probable fact" !

I love Twisted Sister................but I've never heard of the band (till today).

The Twisted Sister that I know and love is on a Stone's Throw. I particularly love the bit when it gets involved in the Missisipi Mud swamp section, oh yeah then the acoustic slide too.....not to mention glistening lead and the characteristic circular patterns..........

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: June 26, 2006 21:11

For what it's worth, Twisted Sister did a cover of the Stones' "It's Only Rock-n-Roll" on one of their albums.

Date: June 26, 2006 22:45

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> enjoying Stonestod's expression, "a statement of
> probable fact" !
>

why, thank you! I enjoyed crafting it too!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 26, 2006 23:00

No, and we're not gonna take it anymore!

Actually, I'm a closet hair metal fan. Love the attitude - sex and R'n'R. That seems all gone with all these depressed bastards singing today!

Date: June 26, 2006 23:10

Beelyboy Wrote:
> hair metal for the most part seems like a sadly
> watered-down and tired copycat take on the 'glam'
> period of rock...bolan, dolls, stones too...bowie
> certainly...
> i don't hate it per se...but most of the bands
> sound sterile and most of the material seems
> hackneyed to me...
> and it hasn't affected me real deeply nor garnered
> too much of my time or interest personally...
> new bands like Jet and Star Spangles and others
> have much more going for them imo.
>
> my guilty pleasure would be the first motley
> ablum...not really any of the others...
> they cut it themselves and put it out on Leathur
> Records, their own indie stab at things...
> elektra picked it up and roy thomas baker
> re-mixed...and added some overdubs...
> and came out with TOO FAST FOR LOVE...
> i loved every track...tommy lee was incredible
> thruout, and has never played with that kind of
> abandon and punctuation and power again...or
> seldom...
> i don't think very much else from the hair-band
> period is too memorable or credible personally...
> in terms of truly great and original rock and
> roll...
> i liked priest but i don't think that's really
> 'hair-band' stuff
> like whitesnake et al...who always, for me, were
> just dead out unstandable...
> if you post about cloverdale in purple, i'm just
> gonna post about ian gillian so we don't even have
> to go there...but can...
>
> l.a.'s contribution of the period was many fierce
> and fearless punk bands like X, the dickies and
> many more...
> tho the hairbands were being snatched up for a
> quick 15 minutes here and there...unforgettable
> albums and laughable videos...
> ny hair 80 hair bands like twisted sister...i
> dunno...
> kinda like sesame street rock...fun,
> harmless...probably well played by the backing
> band...but it seems so much prattle to me
> somehow...
> no offense to those who liked 'we're not gonna
> take it'...and alla those...
> i would tend to put on a song with that same title
> from a group called The Who...at the time...
> and now.
unfortuanately you have the same impression most people got about some of the 80's bands. twisted sister was hugely stereotyped into the ilk of "hair" bands. as dee snider himself always has 2 famous quotes about twisted sister. the first he always says"an overnite sensation that was a decade in the making". to elaborate twisted sister formed in 1972 in NY during the original glam era. only the lead guitarist was always a member. the lineup you see in the videos came together between '75-'80. dee snider the singer joined in '76,eddie the other guitarist in '75, mark the bass player in'78 and a.j. the drummer in '80. they had a total of 4 singers,5 guitarists,3 bass players and 7 drummers. they had an independent e.p. and 2 self produced singles between '79 and '81. they got signed in 1982 to atlantic who reissued the first album they did that was almost all self produced called 'under the blade'. in 1983 the released 'you can't stop rock n roll' as their second album. if you've never heard these 2 albums they are closer to motorhead than they are 80's hair band material especially the first album. it wasn't until 1984 over a decade since jj french formed the band that they hit it big with 2 songs dee wrote off the cuff as anthems for teens. the rest of that album 'stay hungry' still is pretty much a metal album. after that dee lost his anger because he was a success and couldn't write mean metal songs so after that is when they fell into hair metal status. also the videos everyone says are funny are because dee helped with the concept which he said was taken directly from roadrunner cartoons. the other quote he says is"people call us glam, that implies we're glamourous. they should call us hid because we are hideous."

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: June 26, 2006 23:41

I think Stay Hungry is a good album from beginning to end. It really flows well. I still listen to it occasionally. I got no beef with the Sister.

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: June 27, 2006 00:21

Stay Hungry and Come Out And Play were great albums some years ago...

There is a few ballads I still listen to from time to time: The Price and I Believe In You. And of course Leader Of The Pack, a good version of the old classic.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 27, 2006 00:24

Just look at the guy, JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-29 16:39 by stone-relics.

Date: June 27, 2006 00:34

i started this post and i think what the did after 83 isn't as good as before. 'stay hungry', 'come out and play' and 'love is for suckers' weren't as good as what came before. intersting side note, every song except for'wakeup the sleeping giant', off of 'love is for suckers' were for a dee snider solo album. the record company deceided they would rather have a twisted sister album. the songs sound nothing like twisted sisters style and dee said he didn't have anymore material written so they had to use his solo album pop metal songs. it flopped horribly because of that and it is also the first discountinued album ever by a record company. it was out of print from 1990 until about 2000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-27 02:45 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 27, 2006 00:59

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 02:30 by Beelyboy.

Date: June 27, 2006 01:12

Beelyboy Wrote:
> keefkid; thanx for the history lesson...i will try
> to get a hold of 'stay hungry' and let it get to
> me...ty.
>
> i didn't know they went that back far back; but
> did know they were a ny area outlet...never
> associated them with the '72-and on rock
> scene...so that was my misconception u corrected.
> and u were also fair to say that their latter
> stuff didn't have "it"...
> which is what they mostly got the big promo for,
> and is the little i've heard from them...
> so i will get to 'stay hungry' and thanx for the
> tip...
> i did like alice cooper and others were doin'
> those years...
> first two alice albums were really truly rock band
> stuff...
> k doubleK ty.
you're very welcome. you live in the usa? if so you should get the greatest hits album by them called'big hits and nasty cuts'. its missing any songs after '84 so it avoids the singles that became more glossy while still having 'we're not gonna take it' and 'i wanna rock'. it also has i think 6 live cuts or maybe 7 from a concert in the early '80's at the marquee club. you get almost the whole first album because 4 singles from it are on there plus 4 songs live. they also cover 'its only rnr' and 'let the good times roll/feel so good'. i was asking if you live in the usa because in the us they have 2 cds out called club days. the first is studio and the second is live with 2 new songs added at the beggining. the songs are all taken from the late 70's and sound a little more like alice cooper group or new york dolls than motorhead or anyother metal band and totally not like hair metal at all.

Date: June 28, 2006 15:08

ok i went back and listened to clud days volume 1 the studio. i beg everyone who never gave twisted sister a chance cause of the look to listen to this. buy it, download it or steal it i don't care. if you hear these songs that were recorded from 78-81, they are demos but of the highest quality, and cant say that twisted sister were a better group then you gave them credit for then something is wrong with you.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 28, 2006 15:54

TombstoneShadow Wrote:
> Isn't Twisted Sister one of the bands that the Red
> Hot Chili Peppers parodies in their Dani
> California video ?? I can identify most of the
> others: Hendrix, the Beatles, Nirvana, the Sex
> Pistols, Bowie, and Parliament Funkadelic... but
> not sure if it's Twisted Sister or Poison or maybe
> even Motley Crue and a couple others...

There has been no official statement from the Chilli Peppers in regards to who's who on the Dani California video. According to Flea in a recent music magazine interview, aside from a few obvious ones (Elvis, The Beatles, Bowie, Nirvana etc) the acts portrayed were really just to represent different eras of music and not actual real life groups.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 29, 2006 15:01

YES.

Old topic, new post.
I saw them live last night in the POURING RAIN in Detroit.
Whoa, they put on one hell of a show. Extremely entertaining, full blown rock and roll. Dee is one cool front man. They seemed genuinely grateful for the couple thousand diehards that braved the weather at the Michigan State Fairgrounds and played like they were in front of 20,000.

If anyone is in Vegas this weekend, check them out. It was a blast.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: August 29, 2006 16:23

Twisted Sister performing IORR

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: August 29, 2006 16:32

Twisted Sister???...you must be kidding

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 29, 2006 17:19

i play my inflatable air guitar to 80s metal,i love those kinds of bands

i wanna rock
where not gonna take it (nice)

i also wear my long hair wig as well

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 29, 2006 19:18

i only like them because of their cameo appearance in "pee wee's great adventure' - one of my all time favorite movies.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 29, 2006 19:27

yes. i liked them when i was 14. then i grew up

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: August 29, 2006 19:29

bubble-gum metal......some catchy stuff.......i can still handle the early Kiss cds also, despite the "Party All The Time" lyrics (not a bad sentiment)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home