Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anybody seen Iggy Pop opening for the Stones in 1981
Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 27, 2015 06:58

jrcjohnny99
RomanCandle
Dan
I wish a boot would turn up of these particular gigs. I heard Iggy came out dressed in ONLY pantyhose and thats what might have started. He had a great band in 1981 though, Carlos Alomar (Bowie) on guitar and Clem Burke (Blondie) on drums.

Alomar was great with David Bowie especially on Station to Station (love the guitar work on STAY) but with Iggy there was no better guitarist than Williamson.... I mean, Gimme Danger ffs!

Earl Slick did most of the guitar parts on "Stay"

Yeah but we are talking about Alomar here and his rhythm guitar playing is f-ucking great on Stay. Plus, no Alomar, no "Stay", I mean the song was based on his guitar riff. We are also talking about funk and probably the most danceable song of Bowie's discography so don't let all that feedback stuff overshadow the awesome rhythm work! Very caricatural indeed but for a typical "Alomar song" I'd choose "Stay", and for a typical "Earl Slick song" I'd choose "Station to Station".

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 27, 2015 09:12

whitem8
Earl Slick is a fantastic guitarist and quite a nice guy. I met him and chatted with him a bit backstage at a Bowie show in Singapore and he was so friendly and appreciative. Told some fun stories too about Lennon! Was a dream come true talking with him.

Want to share them Lennon-stories? smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 27, 2015 15:11

I asked him about the Double Fantasy sessions and Slick beamed and felt very honored to be part of those sessions. He talked how they spent so much time in the studio playing old rock n' roll and how happy Lennon was. I just listened, and appreciated his fandom.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 27, 2015 16:01

I was at the first Pontiac show. This would be the performance where Iggy wore pants. The sound was brutal and Iggy was not well received. There were sporadic boos in between songs by the middle of his set. Iggy ventured out onto the main stage but was never lit when he went there. The idea was clearly that he and his band were to stay in one spot and only Mick J was allowed to explore the stage. The Pontiac shows were on a Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday, Iggy played the Music Hall in Toronto. A 45 minute segment of the second night was broadcast on CFNY in Toronto some time after the show. On it, Iggy stops Lust For Life and says he was staging an Irish strike due to a lack of audience response. On the Friday, he played Bingeman Park in Kitchener Ontario but it was a University Of Waterloo gig (Kitchener and Waterloo are twin cities). He kicked ass and took names and did a monologue about playing for 160.000 animals in Pontiac and then how Toronto was a drag and this Kitchener gig was finally what he was looking for. That band was excellent. Blondie's Clem Burke on drums. Carlos Alomar on guitar. In Kitchener, a fan was invited on stage and he sang an impressive version of "I'm Bored". Iggy returned to Kitchener around Halloween of 1983 on the Zombie Birdhouse tour. You could tell Iggy had expectations of something special but that show never ignited like the one in 1981 did. All in a week's work for Iggy.

Posted by: MIStonesfan ()
Date: January 18, 2016 22:48

Hi, thank you so much for this thread! I was there at one of the Stones 1981 shows at the Pontiac Silverdome, with Iggy and Santana as the opening acts. I still remember how cold it was. I brought a long sleeved shirt to change into if it got warmer, that shirt was shredded during the "festival seeting" rush for seats.

Maybe someone can tell me which night it was. My recollection is Iggy was wearing black and white shorts and fishnets. He was being booed and pelted with all kinds of stuff from the audience. Later, Bill Graham came on stage to say all the stuff that was thrown at Iggy. I didn't get to see Santana, as I was in one of the long lines to the rest room that took forever to get through, but they weren't booed. The Stones were awesome, even then, they were still amazing.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 19, 2016 00:49

The yellow curtains briefly caught fire when the Stones finished. Will have to look at the ticket archives to see which night. Interesting, no press or TV cameras inside the stadium.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 19, 2016 23:37

humanriff77
I remember an interview with Keith where he said Iggy was wearing a dress at that gig, the Stones know their rock n roll and they respect Iggy, i've even heard Mick being positive about Iggy. Also on this track,Mick once said the only time he was worried that someone would steal the Stones crown as the top white rock band was when he first heard the MC5.
The MC5 and the Stooges ,are 2 of the most important bands in rock n roll history, they are in many ways as important as Muddy, the Temps and James Brown, if you don't know that by now, you got some catching up to do.

Hyperbole. The amount of hyperbole when it comes to music is amazing. There is no end to it. Today when looking ta a different site for a few minutes I saw that Bowie had a bigger legacy then Dylan, Bowie was the biggest Rock Star in the world in 1973 and that Velvet Underground was the most influential band ever.

I am way too big on accuracy to not roll my eyes at all of this stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-19 23:40 by stanlove.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2016 00:19

I saw him opening for the Pretenders in 83. and obviously blew them off the stage.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:23

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-20 04:49 by everwest1.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: January 20, 2016 20:37

stanlove
humanriff77
I remember an interview with Keith where he said Iggy was wearing a dress at that gig, the Stones know their rock n roll and they respect Iggy, i've even heard Mick being positive about Iggy. Also on this track,Mick once said the only time he was worried that someone would steal the Stones crown as the top white rock band was when he first heard the MC5.
The MC5 and the Stooges ,are 2 of the most important bands in rock n roll history, they are in many ways as important as Muddy, the Temps and James Brown, if you don't know that by now, you got some catching up to do.

Hyperbole. The amount of hyperbole when it comes to music is amazing. There is no end to it. Today when looking ta a different site for a few minutes I saw that Bowie had a bigger legacy then Dylan, Bowie was the biggest Rock Star in the world in 1973 and that Velvet Underground was the most influential band ever.

I am way too big on accuracy to not roll my eyes at all of this stuff.

It's like all those "lists" that include Pet Sounds and the Velvet U and captain Beefhart towards top. Pleeezzeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 21, 2016 04:11

I'm bored - I f'n love that tune...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home