Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Amazing Jagger/Hendrix jam 1969 unearthed!!!
Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 22, 2006 02:49

Apologies if someone has already done a thread on this (can't see a recent one) but I just had to share the news!

A mate of mine e-mailed me yesterday asking if the tape story was genuine & I knew nothing about it. Apparently the story is in the current Record Collector with Bolan on the cover, which I still haven't seen, so details are still hazy. Apparently Mick, Hendrix & someone called Deering Howe played through all of 'Let It Bleed' (about to be released a week later) & some other stuff & Howe recorded the whole session on his reel to reel tape recorder. I'm still unclear why this has come to light now, if it's about to be auctioned or dare I dream, getting a release. I was dubious of the whole thing as how could such a momentous coming together of two such legends have remained secret for so long. I just checked Nico Zentgraf's site to work out when this could have taken place, guessing it would have been the same time they played MSG in November '69 when Hendrix was filmed meeting them backstage by the Maysles Brothers. Sure enough there is now an entry between the 2 show dates (did he just read the RC piece or is this more widely known about than I realise?) there is now the following entry:

691127B 27th November: New York City, Hotel Navarro
Jam-session of Let It Bleed-songs by MJ (gtr, voc), Jimi Hendrix (gtr) &
Deering Howe (harm). Unverified.

Even if the music is very basic, even if the sound quality is crap, it just scream out historical significance. It is well known that Brian was a good friend of Jimi's & recorded a few tracks with him but most books suggest that Mick and he never got close due to Jimi making a bold play for Marianne Faithfull. And where was Keith during this session? Under the table having passed out before the tapes started rolling or out on the town? What a shame he didn't make it too.
If anyone knows any more info on this or has the actual Record Collector article with them please please let us know.

Re: Amazing Jagger/Hendrix jam 1969 unearthed!!!
Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: June 22, 2006 03:41

forget the Holy Grail. This is much more important. Hope to hear it soon. Lucky it was not MJ taping or it would never see the light of day.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 22, 2006 03:57

you got that right, its great being a stones fan but they really make us wait for the vaults dont they, thats why i give cheers to dylan, zep and the boss among others for letting the fans in the vaults, thats the one thing thats
a bummer about being a stones fan

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 22, 2006 14:22

It was in Record Collector a month ago, the current issue is a Led Zeppelin cover so don't look there for the story.

I posted it here a month ago and emailed my Gomper Twin (Nico) and told him.

Deering Howe told a Hendrix collector (I think his name was Henri Azou) who told Alan Clayton at Record Collector who ran the story. When I posted it here I got an email from Henri asking where I'd heard of the existance of the tape, perhaps Mr Clayton wasn't suppose to tell...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 22, 2006 18:44

It would be interesting to hear more about that story
I found the other thread, but that kinda side stepped into Jimi's & Dick Dale's lefty guitar playing: [www.iorr.org]

more on the subject this time - please

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: June 22, 2006 18:59

I almost passed out. This is the most important Stones news in years. Bootleg it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-22 19:57 by Potted Shrimp.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 22, 2006 20:41

That's an amazing find if it's true. I wonder why it took all this time to see the light of day?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 23, 2006 14:37

It hasn't seen the light of day, just it's reported that Howe has it and 'takes good care of it'. If he's never copied it you aren't going to hear it.

It would be interesting to know what Jagger and the Hendrix estate would say if he asked, or tried, to release it. The Hendrix people sue every one releasing these days and seem to win every time, although the In The Studio series has reached Vol 5.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: June 24, 2006 00:01

The Hendrix collector that GR mentions is called Yazid Manou & he is a friend of Deering Howe who revealed to him the existence of the tape. Reading between the lines I get the impression that Howe might not have wanted the story to get out (unless he wanted to test the waters & see if any offers came his way). Unfortunately he is quoted in the article as saying "I have that tape somewhere and it stays with me, as I promised Mick that it would."

The good news is that it was recorded on a Urher 500L reel-to-reel tape recorder so the quality may be pretty good (just a single mic though). Interesting that Howe notes "Jimi's playing was very subdued. He was in awe of Mick."

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: June 24, 2006 00:55

This story recently came to light due to the story being published in the latest edition of the fantastic Hendrix fanzine, "Univibes". I will quote from Univibes issue #52, August 2006 edition, page 17:

Some interesting tape news from Deering Howe: "After the Stones show, on November 27, 1969 at MSG, Mick, Jimi, Colette and Devon showed up at my apartment in Hotel Navarro around 2:00 AM. Jimi and Mick picked up a couple of guitars that I had lying around and played mostly all Mick's songs from the Let It Bleed album. Mick claimed he couldn't play Keith's songs on guitar. Jimi played lead, Mick played rhythym and sang. I joined in on harp. Keith Richards did not make it to my place. Recorded it all on my Uber 500-L reel-to-reel with a single mike. YES I have that tape somewhere, and NO it stays with me as I promised Mick that it would." (end quote)

By the way, Deering Howe is the heir to the Deering fortune and was a buddy of Jimi's in the late 60's. They hung out in NYC, got high, and even traveled to Morocco together on the only documented vacation Jimi ever took.

Colette hung out with Jimi, was a lover, and created a bunch of his stage wear.

Devon was a major league groupie, Jimi's girl, (who Mick also banged) but that's another story.....although Jimi sings about the tryst in his song "Dolly Dagger". She was a heroin addict who died at the Chelsea in 1971.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 24, 2006 17:53

Thanks for the info - even if it doesn't come out now, at least we may have some hope of hearing it in the future.

Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: February 25, 2008 14:08

Any news on this?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 25, 2008 16:54

For what it's worth - Hendrix did tend to stay at the Navarro back then (many rock stars did) today it's an apartment house

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 25, 2008 20:43

I can't see it being a problem to release - the dude owns the tape. That's that. The Hendrix..people couldn't sue him. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would think ownership of the tape rules over anything else. ABKCO is a good example...those stupid commercials....

It is a shame it's not out in any matter.

Re: wrong
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 25, 2008 21:28

>> Correct me if I'm wrong. <<

since the tape features ABKCO-owned songs, anyone releasing it would have to pay ABKCO their due fees -
not because ABKCO "owns the tapes", but because ABKCO owns the publishing rights to the songs.
don't the performers also have to agree? i hope Rocky Dijon and/or retired_dog will clarify that.
the performers (or their estates) would also be owed money, as would (of course) the songwriters.
not that any of the above is necessarily a barrier to releasing the tape, if everyone involved wants it to work.

>> those stupid commercials <<

yes - it's called licensing. you can read a bit about it here: [entertainment.howstuffworks.com]
(that doesn't go into the ABKCO situation in particular, but if you read it all, it gives a general idea.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-27 01:32 by with sssoul.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 25, 2008 21:36

Oh my gawd Hendrix playing the guitar on ''Let it Bleed''!! all right!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2008 00:48

Incredible... How much there are all kind of little treasures we even don't know of existing.

They played "Mick's songs" from LET IT BLEED. So they are "Let It Bleed", "You Can't Always Get What You Want"... which else?. "Live With Me"? At least some are collaborations.. "Honky Tonk Women/Country Honk" and "Midnight Rambler" at least. Probably "You Got The Silver", "Gimme Shelter" and the music of "Monkey Man" are pure Keith.

- Doxa

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:12

The right spelling of the recorder company is Uher. Or 'was': high quality from German, not existing anymore, of course...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 26, 2008 19:22

Let's not go overboard on what songs were played. They did NOT play all the songs on "Let It Bleed."

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 26, 2008 22:29

I still liuke the instrumentals Hendrix recorded with that other Stone, Brian, which I don't think have been officially released. (They're instrumentals and may also feature Dave Mason). Brian can also be heard on the outtake version ("South Saturn Delta") of 'All Along the Watchtower'(congas)

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 26, 2008 23:13

There's no proof that Brian plays on those tracks with the sitar, but Eddie Kramer has mentioned that they definitely feature Dave Mason.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 26, 2008 23:39

skipstone
I can't see it being a problem to release - the dude owns the tape. That's that. The Hendrix..people couldn't sue him. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would think ownership of the tape rules over anything else. ABKCO is a good example...those stupid commercials....

It is a shame it's not out in any matter.

Well if it is a shame that it's not out in any matter depends on if it is any good ... or just informal late-night noodling around (like a lot from the Beatles Get Back Sessions - on paper it looks real cool what they played, but the actual audio does not hold up well to the promise...).

Legally, the whole thing is a lot more complex than Deering Howe's tape ownership implies.

Just to give you an idea: Imagine Jagger sitting on the floor of your living room, equipped with a guitar, going through a number of blues tunes (not really hard to imagine, right?). You want to save this historic moment for posterity and ask: "Mick, is it ok that I tape this?" And Mick agrees. You record three hours worth of material - Jagger with an acoustic guitar, singin' and moanin' the blues. In your living room. You're a lucky guy, no doubt!

You believe you can master your tape to CD and release it worldwide?

First, you need Jagger's permission. The fact that he agreed you taping him does not legally entitle you to manufacture CDs from this tape and distributing them.

But you are lucky: Jagger loves the recording and tells you to go ahead - press the CDs, get them out to the record-buying public. Sell as much as you can!

But: Jagger is signed to a record company with his band for all his performances - with the band and solo: Allen's Bumping Kingsize Chaos Organization - ABKCO in short.

You believe that with Jagger's permission you can master your tape to CD and release it worldwide?

What's with his record deal? You believe you can go ahead without their permission? Selling a CD with performances of an artist which is contracted to Allen's Bumping Kingsize Chaos Organization (ABKCO)? Of course not. So you need their permission too.

So far, so good.

Releasing Jagger's solo blues session in your living room without permission from Jagger and ABKCO would result in a lot of trouble.

In the actual case of the "amazing Jagger/Hendrix jam 1969" there's double trouble - because there's not only Jagger, but also Hendrix!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-26 23:44 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2008 23:55

Yes, but who cares about official releases when bootlegs are invented! Just a little copy - hush hush - to circulation, and even Klein notices anything... And aren't the Little boy Blue and The Blues Boys tapes circulating even though Jagger himself owns the originals. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

- Doxa

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:31

>> First, you need Jagger's permission. <<

thanks for all that clarity, retired_dog - i knew you'd know.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: February 27, 2008 12:06

Tseverin
The Hendrix collector that GR mentions is called Yazid Manou & he is a friend of Deering Howe who revealed to him the existence of the tape.

I gave this story to Record Collector, UniVibes Magazine and many other contacts as soon as I heard it from Deering ! But sorry folks, I have no more news about that tape for now. I know I would use some special contact here in France if one day I have the possibility to ask Mick about it.

Thanks for all your interesting comments. I do not give up anyway !

YM

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: February 27, 2008 12:19

Allen's Bumping Kingsize Chaos Organization

GREAT!!!winking smiley

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: March 1, 2008 18:36

maybe someday it will be released, I hope so

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: March 2, 2008 11:52

sweet things
maybe someday it will be released, I hope so

First, I still need the owner to find this very old tape in his archives just to check what it looks like...

YM

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 13, 2010 15:39

Has anything ever come of this does anyone know?

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: December 13, 2010 17:40

I think y'all are setting yourselves up for a huge disappointment...Ever hear the Jimi with Jim Morrison tapes??

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home