Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cancelled shows and Tour 2007
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: June 20, 2006 15:19

At the time, it seems that things are getting more and more confusing. Lots of European shows are cancelled. But why aren't they just postponed? Because of the bad sales figures. But it's as easy as learning to swim: if they'd drop the ticket prices, they'd sell more tickets!

There's no need in cancelling shows because of impossible outdoor shows in Central Europe from September on. Why don't they just move to stadiums with closable roofs (Gelsenkirchen, Amsterdam) or bigger indoor venues. They could play some more concerts in venues for 6,000 to 12,000 people. But why don't they? It seems like the Stones just don't want to play.

I'd suggest cancelling the whole European Tour in 2006 and starting a new attempt in 2007. But I still have a recommendation for Keith: don't drink and climb!

Re: Cancelled shows and Tour 2007
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 20, 2006 15:22

May be you did not pay any attention to the discussions and IORR news lately. But the fact is the Stones have already booked shows and venues in North America and the rest of the world from late September until December 2006. And the middle weeks of September the band and crew is having time off. So there is no way they can just throw away all plans and play Europe delayed shows rather than keeping the planned schedule. What's wrong with having the the Stones in Europe 2007?

Bjornulf

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 20, 2006 15:24

hope you are right bjornulf

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Date: June 20, 2006 15:25

There's nothing wrong with having the Stones in Europe next year. But the whole ceremony expresses what I'm saying. People in Europe are not willing to pay those prices for concerts, not even for the Stones (excl. hardcore Stones fans). People in America are, so there's more money to earn. And that really pisses me off, because it's not about music any longer but money. As if they wouldn't have enough ...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 20, 2006 15:30

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So there is no way they can just throw
> away all plans and play Europe delayed shows
> rather than keeping the planned schedule. What's
> wrong with having the the Stones in Europe 2007?

nothing at all, although its disturbing to say the least that less than 3 weeks after postponing these shows theyre already cancelling shows supposedly due to happen next summer for "scheduling reasons", despite "intensive endeavours" to find a new date (that stadium seems to be very popular next summer for some reason!)

Of course, the cynic in me could be wrong and it could be that they just know already that theyre playing so many dates next summer that they couldnt possibly find room for that Frankfurt concert sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 15:33 by Gazza.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 16:03

I don`t believe to a Europe Tour in 2007.
I can´t believe that there is no vacancy for concert in Frankfurt 2007.

I think some/few of the postponed concerts will happen 2006.
The rest will be cancelled.

Grüsse

Gerhard

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:31

The Stones tour organizers are sooooo professional!
They can't even get a concert at a date next year in Germany?
My god the talk of a Stones tour in 2007 seems to be so far
from truth!

I think the Stones management have to come out of the closet and
give their European fans some valid information!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:53

bv Wrote:
> May be you did not pay any attention to the
> discussions and IORR news lately. But the fact is
> the Stones have already booked shows and venues in
> North America and the rest of the world from late
> September until December 2006. And the middle
> weeks of September the band and crew is having
> time off. So there is no way they can just throw
> away all plans and play Europe delayed shows
> rather than keeping the planned schedule. What's
> wrong with having the the Stones in Europe 2007?

so according to bv, the fall 2006 us tour is going to happen for sure, or is it still just a rumour?

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:56

I think what is so disturbing for many fans is that we get the information on cancellations in drops only!
First the Frankfurt show was only "postponed" until 2007, now it is cancelled for good. This makes fans wonder if there is more bad news to come and if there will be any Stones concert in Europe 2007 at all.
Everybody knows that saying one year in advance that there would be no venue and date available in 2007 is a farce or a excuse, only the reason remains unclear and give us enough room for speculation.
By now, I personally would appreciate it if they had not enterd quite so many commitments in the first place, but announce ten shows less last year and AFTER sales go well add some more as a great surprise.

Greetings from Vienna
Gerda

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:03

I dont mind waiting till 2007 for a european tour as long as its definate and would even suit my money arrangements for them to tour 07 and thou it was nice & expensive to visit paris obviously the stones not being there was a dark shadow over the four days for me.

It would be nice to go to another capital city to go & see them and my mrs has offered to take me to new york for my 50th b/day and i am in two minds to ask her if she will treat me to a long weekend abroad in europe to see the stones but unfortunately my b/day is not till november and what are the chances of seeing the stones in new york around november? and would i dare ask her?

Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:04

does anyone know when they are going to announce the fall 2006 dates in north america?- noticed on the schedule for quicken loans arena in cleveland- thats where im from, that there is nothing scheduled at all between october 8th and 30th- i sure hope they will schedule a show during this time, because we were passed over in 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 18:13 by brewcrew87.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:24

Once again bv you find it impossible to understand people who seem to doubt some of the motivations expressed by the Stones management.

You say they don't play Europe in the fall because they're supposed to be in the US by then. Correct. But can't you have some empathy for those that are left with the feeling the Stones are being easier in cancelling European shows than in cancelling (later planned) US shows?

Obviously, cancelling is not easy in the US and that's why they chose to play there instead of postponing European shows. And obviously, soccer stadiums are booked from september onwards. But one can hardly suggest that every other option is played out to ensure a larger number of shows in Europe this year.

Of course they DID take the opportunity to cancel some shows that were not selling well. And of course they COULD have postponed (not even yet announced) US shows if they'd taken the effort and maybe even accepted some losses. But they didn't.

And the cancelling of the Frankfurt 2007 (!) show is as ridiculous as can be. I suppose they will even come up with one or two new shows in Germany for 2007, but based on a new market analysis and based on the fact that some people will go ONCE MORE in 2007, who had planned on going only once or twice this tour. No hard feelings, maybe even I will. And the discount alternatives for germans are not even too bad.

But what is the point in just admitting a commercial strategy? The fact that they're not giving their commercial interests any relevance in their public communication, in favour of questionable social arguments, is just a bit pathetic.

You can't blaim people for realising this. It does NOT mean they're not Stones fans and it does NOT mean they're professional whiners. They just want to be treated like customers, that's all.

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:53

"You can't blaim people for realising this. It does NOT mean they're not Stones fans and it does NOT mean they're professional whiners. They just want to be treated like customers, that's all."

Limbostone, I could not agree more to your post!
Question remains if it is the management´s "unprofessionality" or the Stones´poor communication with their organizers and managers.

Gerda

Posted by: Tonyboy ()
Date: June 20, 2006 23:19

I came back home to Göteborg today from Warsaw where I was suppsed to see the Stones on Sunday and the only thing I can tell at the moment is that summer 2007 seems very faaaaaaar away...............................

I didn't refund our tickets but it still sucks. I met many people from all over who was supposed to attend the show. One fan who had travelled from anada and he didn't know what to do.....

Posted by: electric-duane ()
Date: June 21, 2006 00:06

Save your breath Limbostone. The dude's so far up the band's collective arses that it's not funny. I hate talking like this (and probably run the risk of being kicked out of here because of it - fascist, if you ask me, but he makes the rules nonetheless). I've never read anything less than positive and pro-Stones comments from him. Never a negative or neutral comment. It's unbelievable.

I'm a member of a pretty tight-knit Allman Brothers Community and the shite has hit the fan numerous times - especially when Warren and Allen left in 1997 and when Dickey was kicked out in 2000. Everybody was willing to accept the Brothers as the road went on, but many had their reservations, and rightfully so. My opinion is, real fans stand beside their favorite bands through their ups and downs but have the courage to be able to admit that they've messed up or at least be objective. What I'm seeing here is, we should fully understand their point of view and kiss their arses because the whole logistics thing is too difficult. My arse! It might just be more expensive, that's all! And these guys have more money than I can dream of.

Why is it such a bad thing for some people to admit that maybe the Stones have screwed up this time as far as public relations is concerned?

As for my Frankfurt tickets, they're going back tomorrow and I can't wait for my big fat refund. I may even go see the Eagles with the extra money. They might be crap to many of you, but at least they keep their promises, play their shows, play for three hours and sets of up to 27 songs a night (and their most expensive tix are equal to the cheapest seats the Stones have to offer).

Peach out,

Duane-o

Limbostone Wrote:
> Once again bv you find it impossible to understand
> people who seem to doubt some of the motivations
> expressed by the Stones management.
>
> You say they don't play Europe in the fall because
> they're supposed to be in the US by then. Correct.
> But can't you have some empathy for those that are
> left with the feeling the Stones are being easier
> in cancelling European shows than in cancelling
> (later planned) US shows?
>
> Obviously, cancelling is not easy in the US and
> that's why they chose to play there instead of
> postponing European shows. And obviously, soccer
> stadiums are booked from september onwards. But
> one can hardly suggest that every other option is
> played out to ensure a larger number of shows in
> Europe this year.
>
> Of course they DID take the opportunity to cancel
> some shows that were not selling well. And of
> course they COULD have postponed (not even yet
> announced) US shows if they'd taken the effort and
> maybe even accepted some losses. But they didn't.
>
> And the cancelling of the Frankfurt 2007 (!) show
> is as ridiculous as can be. I suppose they will
> even come up with one or two new shows in Germany
> for 2007, but based on a new market analysis and
> based on the fact that some people will go ONCE
> MORE in 2007, who had planned on going only once
> or twice this tour. No hard feelings, maybe even I
> will. And the discount alternatives for germans
> are not even too bad.
>
> But what is the point in just admitting a
> commercial strategy? The fact that they're not
> giving their commercial interests any relevance in
> their public communication, in favour of
> questionable social arguments, is just a bit
> pathetic.
>
> You can't blaim people for realising this. It does
> NOT mean they're not Stones fans and it does NOT
> mean they're professional whiners. They just want
> to be treated like customers, that's all.

Date: June 21, 2006 00:58

It would seem that something like poor sales was the reason they called off the Frankfurt show.I don't think it has anything to do with them giving up on the idea of 2007 shows otherwise,the other ones would be cancelled as well.

Date: June 21, 2006 03:29

Theif in the Night Wrote:
> It would seem that something like poor sales was
> the reason they called off the Frankfurt show.I
> don't think it has anything to do with them giving
> up on the idea of 2007 shows otherwise,the other
> ones would be cancelled as well.

yes, but :

1. If the sales are poor now, then they were poor on June 2nd when the show was 'postponed' (and from what I understand, Frankfurt wasnt one of the worst sellers). so, whats happened in the last 3 weeks to change the status of the show?

2. if they cancel due to poor sales, at least have the honesty to admit it and not this 'rescheduling problems' bollocks. To say you cant arrange a show thats a year away is an insult to anyones intelligence

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 21, 2006 07:45

Ticket sales for Frankfurt were better than for Hannover and Berlin. Strange.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 21, 2006 08:03

maybe keith didn't want to slip on a frankfurter again - ya know, he can't be too careful these days . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-21 08:04 by nikkibong.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 21, 2006 08:04

That must be it. That also explains why no show was booked for Hamburg smiling smiley

Date: June 21, 2006 10:00

The overall impression is: it's really sad! There are people booking flights from somewhere to somewhere, paying hundreds of Euros for accomodation, tickets, food and traffic - and now they're left alone with all the money being spent. It's surely nice having a weekend in Warsaw without any "exisiting" reason to be there ...

You know what: neither the Stones nor their management give a damn about the fans. We're viewed as sort of sponges money can be earned with. Why didn't they just decrease the ticket prices in those cities with bad sales? Because they've already been knowing that there will be money to be made in fall in North America again. So, these dates seem more important than satisfying European fans. It's really sad!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 21, 2006 10:40

Meise Wrote:
> People in
> America are, so there's more money to earn. And
> that really pisses me off, because it's not about
> music any longer but money. As if they wouldn't
> have enough ...

What else should it be about if you are the 'greatest rock'n'roll band in the world'? Did you never listen to an VERY early song the Stones recorded back in 1963: MONEY (THAT'S WHAT I WANT!). After all, they were honest from the beginning, so do not complain!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: June 21, 2006 12:46

They don't care about cities with bad sales. They don't care too of cities and countries with high sales (Madrid & Barcelona). We paid our tickets more than 7 months ago and we still have NO OFFICIAL INFORMATION about it's cancellement. We have lost money, and what are they doing with the money from the tickets?. Of course this is a bad way to care for fans, but it's also a really bad way of treating people that payied for something that should have happened one month ago, didn't happen, and we still have no info. This should be denounced.

Date: June 21, 2006 14:22

saltoftheearth Wrote:
>>
> What else should it be about if you are the
> 'greatest rock'n'roll band in the world'?

rock n roll, surprisingly

Did you
> never listen to an VERY early song the Stones
> recorded back in 1963: MONEY (THAT'S WHAT I
> WANT!). After all, they were honest from the
> beginning, so do not complain!

you're either an idiot or taking the piss. I hope its the latter

Date: June 21, 2006 14:37

saltoftheearth Wrote:
> Meise Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > People in
> > America are, so there's more money to earn. And
> > that really pisses me off, because it's not
> about
> > music any longer but money. As if they wouldn't
> > have enough ...
>
>
> What else should it be about if you are the
> 'greatest rock'n'roll band in the world'? Did you
> never listen to an VERY early song the Stones
> recorded back in 1963: MONEY (THAT'S WHAT I
> WANT!). After all, they were honest from the
> beginning, so do not complain!

Who are you? Michael Cohl? I go with Gazza - he's got the right answers to your st... thread

Posted by: Lumi ()
Date: June 21, 2006 14:54

I think saltoftheearth was being sarcastic with the "Money" quote.

Success comes with a prize, and I think the fact that they developed into this mammoth production unit, with lots of people to pay, a huge crew etc. is largely responsible for their decision making. It's not just money for the core 4 members, we're talking about money for an entire bunch of people.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 21, 2006 15:46

That's pretty much it. The sheer scale of the operation dictates any logistical decisions. Choices are often perceived where they don't really exist.
This may be a slightly generous view...but I'll go with it.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 22, 2006 10:39

Lumi Wrote:
It's not just money for the core 4 members, we're
> talking about money for an entire bunch of people

your probably right- but it's a bitter pill to swallow,
for most European based fans.

Posted by: Lumi ()
Date: June 22, 2006 10:45

I know Adrian, I'm European too and the gig in my country will probably be cancelled, seeing all this negativity surrounding the '07 Europe tour...

I'm angry, I'm let down and depressed by this turn of events, but hey, I'm not the least bit surprised.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 22, 2006 10:58

no, me neither friend.
hang in there- i hope you get to see a show soon

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home