Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Blondie Gifted Musician??
Posted by: patel ()
Date: June 20, 2006 02:49

Someone on here posted a thread about blondie being a "gifted" musician and urging us to buy his first release since 1977 so heres my question

is time ries gifted?
kent smith?
Lisa?
Bobby?

lets tone it down a bit eh gifted are the boys so lets not dilute the term by including blondie he's a servicable backup perfomer nuff said save the highest praise for the stars

and by the way lena I dont care to see your web site in the same post anyone can get access to blondie dear

Re: Blondie Gifted Musician??
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: June 20, 2006 03:06

Yeah, for sure...I love "CALL ME" and "RAPTURE" the best.....

Posted by: bluelena ()
Date: June 20, 2006 04:06

patel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone on here posted a thread about blondie
> being a "gifted" musician and urging us to buy his
> first release since 1977 so heres my question
>
> is time ries gifted?
> kent smith?
> Lisa?
> Bobby?
>
> lets tone it down a bit eh gifted are the boys so
> lets not dilute the term by including blondie he's
> a servicable backup perfomer nuff said save the
> highest praise for the stars
>
> and by the way lena I dont care to see your web
> site in the same post anyone can get access to
> blondie dear

Obviously it wasn't enough for you to share your negative comments about Blondie in the thread I started about his new cd, so you had to start your own. If you don't care to see my website, then don't look at it. If you don't like Blondie or me, then why do you need to bring us up so often?

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: June 20, 2006 04:11

Several month's ago I heard Blondie on a radio show in Chicago. He sang and played guitar, both solo and with the show's host. On each song he sounded like a gifted musician.

Re: Blondie
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2006 07:26

very puzzling indeed: "gifted musician" is such high praise it's reserved only for Rolling Stones?!
to me the term of high praise reserved only for Stones is: the Rolling Stones.
Blondie on the other hand is a very gifted musician.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 20, 2006 07:40

Yes, Blondie is a very gifted song writer and musician.
Too bad if you haven't discovered his music.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: June 20, 2006 07:46

He was even a Beach Boy for a minute and recorded his song Sail On Sailor with them. Great tune.
He also put in an excellent guest appearance with the Nicholas Tremulus Orchestra at the Double Door, in Chicago, a couple of years ago.

(btw, he asked for, and was given, the original illustration from my After the Bang portfolio last year when the band was in Chicago. Free prints are still available for the asking.)

Number 3

www.danielteafoe.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-20 08:05 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: June 20, 2006 07:50

blondie gifted musician

NOT

he is as dispensable as yesterdays papers, he is just another gopher for Mick and Keith
does he get paid ?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 20, 2006 07:55

I've mentioned this on other threads. One of the best shows (of the many hundreds I've seen over 30+ years) was a gig at the EMU Ballroom at the UofO in Eugene in 1979. Paul Butterfield-Rick Danko Band (couple of gifted legends, I think we can all agree). Who stole the show that night? None other than lead guitarist Blondie Chaplin. Yeah, he's pretty effing gifted. Ran into Blondie before the Wiltern gig in '02 and I mentioned how much I enjoyed seeing him at with Butterfield-Danko - he asked me which show I saw and when I told him, he paused for a second and said - "yeah, that WAS a good one."

Posted by: stop_the_rain ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:00

You don't have to like the guy, and you may wish he wasn't a part of the Stones entourage, but to say he's not a gifted musician is just nuts.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:05

Ofcourse they're gifted. They tour with the Rolling Stones. I have no doubt Mick knows how to select the best backing band in the world.

By the way, check out those free prints of 3DTeafoe, they really are awesome!!

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:37

Have you ever heard any of Blondie Chaplin's songs ?

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:42

blondie is incredible. THATS the bottom line, if you haven't seen him live, or listened to his album, you have no right to comment on his ability

check out the clips here [www.dreamtimetravel.com] from DREAMTIME in shidoobeeland

and that is keiths tele he's playin!

OLDKR

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:54

3DTeafoe Wrote:
> He was even a Beach Boy for a minute and recorded
> his song Sail On Sailor with them. Great tune.
> He also put in an excellent guest appearance with
> the Nicholas Tremulus Orchestra at the Double
> Door, in Chicago, a couple of years ago.
>
> (btw, he asked for, and was given, the original
> illustration from my After the Bang portfolio last
> year when the band was in Chicago. Free prints are
> still available for the asking.)
>
> [i6.photobucket.com]
> erthebang3.jpg

Hi Daniel,

Never got the chance to thank you for the prints you sent me last xmas has i lost your addres, so once again a big thanks.

>
> Number 3
>
> www.danielteafoe.com

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:16

Some people are just hostile, but are unable to articulate why.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:14

As others have noted, Blondie had a long and interesting career before he hooked up with the Stones, contributing fine muusic to the early 70s Beach Boys, Rick Danko's solo album, Hubert Sumlin's "About Them Shoes" (plays several instruments that always fit the specific mood and song), has added to loads of others' albums including several Stones solo efforts (Ron Wood, Charlie Watts, Keith's Wingless Angels, Ian McLagan) and made a fine album back in '77 or so that I wish I still had. Yes Tim Ries is a talented guy too - heard his Rolling Stones Project? Bernard's "Friends With Privileges" (collaborates with Doug Wimbish, Waddy Wachtel, Stevie Salas, Ron Wood) is one of the most enjoyable funk/rock/pop/soul albums released this year imo, and he too had an impressive resume before hooking up with the Stones, especially many excellent albums produced by Bill Laswell (Material, Nicky Skopolitis, Bernie Worrell, etc), and Tackhead circa 1988 - 91, Nickelbag a few years later, not to mention collaborations with Charlie and Ron. Then there's Bobby Keys' great history - Delaney & Bonnie, John, George, & Ringo's best solo stuff early 70s, Joe Cocker, Faces, and lots more.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: June 20, 2006 22:07

Hmmmm, so then who is the fairest of them all.....who is the "most gifted" out of all the stones' backup musicians?
This is an interesting topic rarely brought up here.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 20, 2006 22:12

johnr, I think Bobby also got to play with the sainted Buddy Holly before his death.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: June 20, 2006 22:16

Someone obvously feel bitter and angry, jealous and treated unfair today... So the strategy seems to be "let's stir up a fight over something we don't have a clue about"...
The Stones' backing band is put together by VERY TALENTED and hard working musicians. The Stones would NEVER pick a B-team for their albums or tours. And besides - the chemistry has to be right. So they're nice people, too. Perhaps all this is hard to swallow for loosers who are neither gifted, hard working, successful or nice???
I'm just wondering - why all this bitterness and anger? What happened today that made people write these evil and meaningless posts? It must have been something terrible, right?
The Stones backin-band is brilliant!

Date: June 20, 2006 22:21

the reason is that many fans are angered that the Stones feel a need to augment the core band at all.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 21, 2006 00:42

StonesTod Wrote:
> the reason is that many fans are angered that the
> Stones feel a need to augment the core band at
> all.

Interesting point. Do you like the sound better without them, or is your complaint that the presence of the horns, backup singers, chuck, etc., make the boys tend to "coast?"

Is it possible that the boys are right, and that the overall show is, in fact, better with the support?

Date: June 21, 2006 00:57

personally, I think it was Jagger's idea in '89 that the Stones couldn't survive a 2 hour gig without the "net" of the extended band. After that, I think the "dependency" factor set in as the band became accustomed to the "freedoms" that extras provided them - basically that the guitarists could lay out without overly noticeable effect to the morasses.

They have proven that they can cut it without the support in small doses and flashes - as evidenced most prominently in often brilliant 3-song b-stage sets. But, that's about all they think they can hang together without them, it seems. And, who's to say otherwise?

Posted by: stop_the_rain ()
Date: June 21, 2006 03:09

What would "Salt of the Earth" and "Tumblin' Dice" be without the background singers? Or, in the case of the latter, the horns? The same elements are on the original recordings, so why not live?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 21, 2006 07:39

I am quite pleased the too-careful, 'synched ', too rigid structure of the '89 tour (a sign of the times, also) has loosened up to the point that the guitars are upfront,Chuck lower in the mix (hence not as villified a figure as he was last tour), horns used more sparingly but effectively, and especially that Matt Clifford is long gone. From the stage, anyhow, I know he's still welcome when Mick's working.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 21, 2006 07:43

stop_the_rain Wrote:
> What would "Salt of the Earth" and "Tumblin' Dice"
> be without the background singers? Or, in the case
> of the latter, the horns? The same elements are on
> the original recordings, so why not live?

Agreed. I think Tumbling Dice is the one song that is made BETTER buy all the backups.

Posted by: patel ()
Date: June 22, 2006 06:02

bluelena Wrote:
> patel Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Someone on here posted a thread about blondie
> > being a "gifted" musician and urging us to buy
> his
> > first release since 1977 so heres my question
> >
> > is time ries gifted?
> > kent smith?
> > Lisa?
> > Bobby?
> >
> > lets tone it down a bit eh gifted are the boys
> so
> > lets not dilute the term by including blondie
> he's
> > a servicable backup perfomer nuff said save
> the
> > highest praise for the stars
> >
> > and by the way lena I dont care to see your web
> > site in the same post anyone can get access to
> > blondie dear
>
>
> Obviously it wasn't enough for you to share your
> negative comments about Blondie in the thread I
> started about his new cd, so you had to start your
> own. If you don't care to see my website, then
> don't look at it. If you don't like Blondie or me,
> then why do you need to bring us up so often?

1)TRUE you are very observant I hope you don't work in law enforcement
2) I dont' dint and never will never assume because you make an ass outta me and u but you prolly never herd that won where yer from
3) cuz this is a discussion board which is the obvious point you are missing cuz you are so oblivious

fortunately others offered some good dialogue which "YOUR" thread
never did

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: June 24, 2006 01:16

I have seen blondie at cbgb's and bb kings with hubert sumlin

and guess what

HE AIN'T NO BIG @#$%& DEAL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1269
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home