Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chuck Berry going insane and fights with Keith (youtube) Loooooool!
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 19, 2006 20:34

Re: Chuck Berry going insane and fights with Keith (youtube) Loooooool!
Date: June 19, 2006 20:36

But they rock and Keith rocks harder

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 19, 2006 20:58

lol - yeah, if eyes could cut like a knife - Chuck would be in serious trouble.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 19, 2006 21:13

Yeah. But you can see that Keith didn't really wanna fight with his idol. But Chucky asked for it, the old bastard he is. Funny how eventually Chuck just does that little swirl.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 20, 2006 13:08

Thanks for link, LA.
Man he fuzzes for the sake of fuzzin'.
But what we hear in the end is just lovely.
Wonder how much he acts sheerly for the screen.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 20, 2006 15:15

The bitcher keeps bitchin'
...and he hasn't changed 'till today

music-wise, they really rock

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 20, 2006 15:32

Chuck was just bitter and who could blame him, he should have been a millionaire, but just loved to play. He did not realize he had to secure rights to his songs to get royalities.

He is also mad that he can't play anymore and Keith can smoke him. I think Keith did the project to honour Chuck as payback for all he did for him.
How many Stones songs would not have existed without Chuck's influence.

As funny as it is, hilarious really, it is equally sad.

The opening bend sounds like shit after Chuch is done coaching.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 20, 2006 15:53

If this is sad, all punk rock bands 'profiting'
on the Stones are equally sad. Newromantix 2006
profitin on ditto from the 80s sad. Etc etc: All is sad.
The geezer ought to be 'appy someone passed it on, shouldnt he?

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: June 20, 2006 16:01

hey come on Baboon, the Stones ARE millionaires and more famous than anyone who ever 'profited' from them. It feels different for a mammoth to be bit by a mosquito than for a goldfish to be swalloed by a shark.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 20, 2006 16:35

WHAT year is this video??

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: June 20, 2006 16:37

1986 I believe...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2006 17:17

yeah, it's from Hail Hail Rock & Roll, which was made in 86.
(does youtube not have a function that lets people identify the stuff they upload?)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:12

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does youtube not have a function that lets people
> identify the stuff they upload?

With sssoul, you can "add a comment"....if you are signed in.

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:19

i saw this before but without the shouting at the beginning...

This is going to be released soon on DVD (Hail Hail) hope they have all this stuff on it haaa its not on the version i see on tv all the time...

keef is a saint...

haaaa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 20, 2006 18:52

Keith on strat, by the way ...

C

Date: June 20, 2006 20:20

>> Keith on strat, by the way ... <<

on Mary Kay Strat given to him by Ronnie, if memory serves.

- Keith

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 20, 2006 20:48

I don't know about this "Chuck just loves to play" idea, he's a great all time hall-of-fame singer songwriter/guitarist/rocker, but his anger, bitterness, and distrust undermined his career, as has the fact that his passion for cash (literally) surpasses his passion to play - ironically that characteristic has likely led him to earn less $$$ over the decades, since he refuses to employ a band or even rehearse.

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: June 20, 2006 21:54

exactly!!

Chuck Berry documentary shows dark side of rock legend
By Dean Goodman

Twenty years ago, a camera crew and some of the world's biggest rock stars ventured to St. Louis to help Chuck Berry celebrate his 60th birthday.

They were lucky to survive the experience.

The famously prickly "father of rock 'n' roll" shook down the filmmakers for a big bag of cash every day, almost started a prison riot, belittled his protege Keith Richards, hit on the female producer and then lost his voice for the climactic all-star concerts before a hometown crowd.

The darkly comic saga is detailed in the new DVD of "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll," which was originally released in movie theaters in 1987. Long out of print on home video, the film was directed by Taylor Hackford, who went on to collaborate with another musical icon, Ray Charles, for the movie "Ray."

The two back-to-back concerts at the Fox Theater in October 1986 served as the backbone for the original film. Hackford shot the difficult rehearsals at Berry's rundown estate, interviewed Berry, his family members and associates, and added often-raucous commentary from peers such as Little Richard, Bo Diddley and Jerry Lee Lewis.

"I signed on to this as a celebration of somebody who had had a major impact on our lives," Hackford told Reuters in a recent interview. "So we went there to celebrate him, and we had every expectation to expect a lot of cooperation because he was also a producer. Lo and behold ... we found quite a different situation."

MORE HEADACHES THAN MICK JAGGER

Rolling Stones guitarist Richards, whose adoration for Berry over the years has largely been greeted with disdain and even a sucker punch by his idol, was musical director of the concerts. Long disappointed by Berry's take-the-money-and-run gigs, he assembled an ace house band, insisted that Berry rehearse and invited the likes of Eric Clapton, Etta James and Robert Cray to play the shows.

In the film, an exhausted Richards described the experience as torture, adding, "He gives me more headaches than Mick Jagger. But I still can't dislike him."

One key scene shows Berry and Richards at loggerheads during rehearsals over the chords for "Carol," one of about a dozen Berry songs covered by the Stones during their career.

"That was a very tough moment," Hackford said, "because it was a humiliating moment where Chuck is taking him to school ... it's like, 'Go ahead, Keith. You're the big rock 'n' roll star. Blow up and stomp off.' Keith just stood his ground."

Hackford said Berry, now 79 and still playing one-nighters, had no involvement in the production of the DVD, which will be released on June 27. Although they are on fairly cordial terms, Hackford recalled that Berry dismissively laughed at him when he asked to license some unseen concert footage.

"Everything with Chuck Berry has to do with the dollar sign. But you know what? It's OK."

That's the basic sentiment of many who have dealt with Berry. He may be tyrannical, but if he had not written tunes like "Maybelline," "Johnnie B. Goode" and "Roll Over Beethoven," the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan might not have gone very far. (A call to his long-time booking agent was not returned.)

TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS

Less enamored was producer Stephanie Bennett, who put the whole project together, and recalled in the documentary that she was rewarded with constant unwelcome advances from Berry, whom Hackford described as "a major sexual animal."

Such attention paled against the groping Bennett and Berry's girlfriend endured from horny inmates when Berry took the filmmakers to the prison where he did three years for armed robbery as a youth. The only way they could avert a riot was if Berry played for the captives, which he did. Hackford shot the priceless footage, but Berry took it from him and has refused to give it back. Only some still photos capture the event.

Perhaps worst of all, Berry refused to show up for filming each day until Bennett gave him a bag of cash, which is how he used to be paid for his slapdash concerts. She estimates that Berry cajoled upwards of $800,000 out of the production, a hefty sum given that the budget was $3 million. Hackford was forced to give up his director's fee in order to stem the tide of red ink but ended up with the DVD rights.

Berry's love of money yielded a key scene in the film but almost scuppered the birthday concert. Midway through rehearsals, he surprised the filmmakers by announcing plans to play a show in Columbus, Ohio. They followed him on the trek, showing how he travels alone, armed only with his guitar, a comb and a toothbrush, pockets his fee before playing a note, performs for the contracted duration, and flies straight home afterwards.

Unfortunately, he lost his voice after the gig and was barely able to sing during the birthday concerts a few days later. Most of the audio footage was overdubbed during post-production -- with Berry taking a fee for his time.

While the documentary does not paint Berry in a flattering light, Hackford -- a Peabody Award-winning TV journalist in an earlier life -- sees the DVD as a well-intentioned attempt to preserve for posterity "a really complicated, very complex individual.

"Nobody is ever gonna know what really goes on inside that head. No one's ever gonna do the entire picture of Chuck Berry because it's just too deep and dark."

Chuck is a jerk.. keef is a saint....

end of story haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

but i still want this DVD...

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: June 20, 2006 22:17

I saw chuck at the Royal festival hall in 2004 and he showed the same behavior. He couldn't tune his guitar himself well, so he aked the bassist to do it. When the bassist took it the piano and he touched the bottom E (whilst chuck was talking) he shouted "what are you playing for?" WHen he turned and saw they were tuning his guitar he then said "oh i asked you, thats ok" Other than that moment brilliant gig. Jerry Lee Leweis was on before hand and really showed his age. Chuck acted younger than me, even having the ejected women brought back out.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 20, 2006 22:36

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 02:40 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: June 20, 2006 22:58

i play with a keyboardist who toured the world in the 80's and 90's, and he said he played a gig with chuck berry once, and that chuck in 90, or 91 (i cant remember which year he said) was making 20 000 a show himself, and that didn't include the band. he also gets a limo to drive him to and from the show that has 3 prostitutes in it.
those are the stories.... from the road

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 20, 2006 23:03

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 02:39 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 21, 2006 02:33

if looks could kill ...............

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: June 21, 2006 02:45

Well, as seen in the movie, Chuck complains about how the white english musicians such as the Stones ripped him off, but he in fact ripped off his piano player, Johnnie Johnson, who wrote many of the licks on his piano, which were then appropriated by Chuck without crediting Johnson, so I guess his bad karma came back to bite him in the ass. Also, the guy is a kinky nut. I mean, putting videocameras in the toilets of the women's bathroom in his nightclub to film them taking shits? What a freak!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 21, 2006 04:06

what a jealous old prick he is man, he just could not admit to himself that keith played his song better than he did, so he had to keep @#$%& with keith just to try to humiliate him, but of course keith came out on top

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: June 21, 2006 05:43

hey cut out the chuck berry bashing! without him no rock and roll and no rolling stones... as keith says "i stole every lick he ever came up with"

have some respect men for god's sake.

Date: June 21, 2006 12:42

Yeah but sometimes people have too much respect for that ducker! He is a genius, almost, but Keith has done so much on his own, riffs, styles, songs etc without Chucks help. He's just bitter cause he was black in the 50s.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 21, 2006 19:37

This clip shows that Berry is way more of a priamdonna than Keef is.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: June 21, 2006 19:47

man you guys suck..

chuck berry is the man..

maybe he has reason to be a little bitter... you ever think about that? he did practically invent rock'n'roll and what was his reward? jail time once on a bullshit charge of taking a minor across state lines (think about that!) and once on not paying taxes...

you ever notice little richard is very bitter too?

to me the scene between chuck and keith is great all around..i don't think chuck is being that terrible..it is his song..and if he wants to tell keith how to do it then thats the way its going to be...keith accepts that.. i also think part of the charm of the scene is that its two very cagey prickly men.. keith ain't mr. nice guy either , eh!

i think you guys just don't recognize chuck's genius... thats the issue

and if i was chuck i'd be bitter about that...wether he took jimmy johnson riffs or not, and everything comes from something, his use of them on the guitar was the birth of guitar based rock'n'rolll.. it certainly was not fats domino that was doing that (or the new orleans r&b ..others like little richard)... it certainly was not ike turner or bill haley or elvis or louis jordan... so think about that: chuck berry is the most important person in the history of modern rockn'roll....

you don't like it that chuck is keith's daddy (musically).. .keith is fine with it and you ought to think about that before trotting out the same chuck berry bashing crap .... that crap has no place on the rolling stones board..

i always saw the clip as a great hilarious moment..seminal..i love it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-21 19:47 by stoned_in_dc.

Re: Chuck Berry
Date: June 21, 2006 20:07

whatever his character flaws are, they don't detract from the man's genius, or what he's given to the world.
Hail Hail is an excellent film - this scene is of course classic, but it's hardly the entire picture of the interaction between Keith and Chuck.
but Keith very obviously didn't expect gratitude or even much respect from Chuck. he was paying debts. and he did good.

- Keith

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home