Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wyman Photo Exhibit Opens In San Francisco
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 13, 2006 18:59

From billboard.com (link:[www.billboard.com])

Wyman Captures Classic Rockers On Film
A photo exhibit opening today (June 9) shows what former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman was up to when he didn't have his bass in his hands.

"Wyman Shoots," which premieres at the San Francisco Art Exchange, features Wyman's candid photos of the Stones -- individually and collectively -- as well as other performing friends such as Eric Clapton, members of the Who, Ringo Starr, John Lee Hooker and Taj Mahal.

"They're all just ad lib shots," says Wyman, who left the Stones in 1992. "I didn't like posing people, so they were never set up with the right light and everything, the way a professional photographer would do it. So all my what you would call portraits are people just behaving normally and me getting the right moment to get a shot of them."

Wyman, who was given his first camera after World War II by an uncle, culled the exhibition from 22,000 images he's taken over the years. Most, not surprisingly, were of the Stones, he says, "because that was where I had my spare time. I would shoot particularly Charlie [Watts] and Ronnie [Wood], because they didn't mind having photos taken. Mick [Jagger] and Keith [Richards] were a bit more, 'Oh, don't take any more photos, Bill.' But I've got quite a lot of Mick and Keith at various times, and they're all complimentary."

Wyman has edited several photo books of others' works and plans to publish one of his own in the near future. After its run in San Francisco, "Wyman Shoots" will move to Rotterdam, Holland, in September and is scheduled to be on display in London in the spring of 2007. Wyman stopped flying in 1990 so won't be attending the exhibit in San Francisco, though he will take part in a Q&A session via satellite at a VIP reception on June 17.

Wyman is staying busy beyond the exhibition, too. He continues to perform European dates with his band, the Rhythm Kings, and played on a track for Peter Frampton's upcoming album, "Fingerprint," which is due Sept. 12 via New Door/A&M. He recently edited the British book "The Stones: A History in Cartoons" that's slated to be published in the U.S. in October. He's working on several other book projects and also invented a metal detector for children that will be rolled out later this year.

Could be an interesting exhibit. Perhaps someone could go and give us a review?

I enjoyed this line from the article: "A photo exhibit opening today (June 9) shows what former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman was up to when he didn't have his bass in his hands." My immediate reaction was that anyone who read his bio knows what Wyman was up to when he didn't have a bass in his hands - shagging groupies. That and balancing his bank statement.

Re: Wyman Photo Exhibit Opens In San Francisco
Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: June 13, 2006 23:53

Amazing that Wipeman trys to commercialize on the Stones at the same time he's suggesting that Keith, Ronnie, Mick & Charlie should hang it up...

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: June 14, 2006 01:13

The only photo exhibit I want to see from Wyman is his snapshot collection of the 2 million groupies he supposedly shagged over the last 40 years. You just KNOW he has a bulging suitcase stashed away somewhere on the estate.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 14, 2006 01:20

I am going to the opening so I will let you all know how it is. From what I have seen of the examples of the photos, there are some pretty cool ones. No doubt they will be overpriced tho! Sarah

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: June 14, 2006 01:21

Duane in Houston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only photo exhibit I want to see from Wyman is
> his snapshot collection of the 2 million groupies
> he supposedly shagged over the last 40 years. You
> just KNOW he has a bulging suitcase stashed away
> somewhere on the estate.

Lol smiling smiley

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: June 14, 2006 23:01

sarahunwin Wrote:
> I am going to the opening so I will let you all
> know how it is. From what I have seen of the
> examples of the photos, there are some pretty cool
> ones. No doubt they will be overpriced tho!
> Sarah

Cool, we'll look forward to your review.

Date: June 17, 2006 17:43

well, I went to the opening of Wyman's exhibit last night and I have to say I was impressed by his skills as a photographer. These are never before exhibited photos of, mainly the Rolling Stones, some from the mid 60's, some in the 70's and some '80-82. There are some very cool ones of Charlie, individually, as well as of Mick and Keith and Ronnie. A great one of Keith sitting at his desk around '81 with a black eye given to him by Chuck Berry! Mick Taylor and Brian also are featured. There are also a few cool photos of Chagall who was Bill's neighbor in France and some awesome landscapes of such things as the midnight sun in Scandinavia to snowy fields in Suffolk, England. A limited selection of the prints can be seen at the San Francisco Art Exchange's website at www.sfae.com . the photos are mostly 1/50, signed by Bill and simply but elegantly framed. The prices are around $2,200 each for most of them, with a few costing more. The exhibit will be at the San Francisco Art Exchange (on Geary Street) through the end of July. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the neighborhood. Tell Jim at the gallery that Sarah sent you!

Date: June 17, 2006 18:26

sarahunwin Wrote:
> well, I went to the opening of Wyman's exhibit
> last night and I have to say I was impressed by
> his skills as a photographer. These are never
> before exhibited photos of, mainly the Rolling
> Stones, some from the mid 60's, some in the 70's
> and some '80-82. There are some very cool ones of
> Charlie, individually, as well as of Mick and
> Keith and Ronnie. A great one of Keith sitting at
> his desk around '81 with a black eye given to him
> by Chuck Berry! Mick Taylor and Brian also are
> featured. There are also a few cool photos of
> Chagall who was Bill's neighbor in France and some
> awesome landscapes of such things as the midnight
> sun in Scandinavia to snowy fields in Suffolk,
> England. A limited selection of the prints can be
> seen at the San Francisco Art Exchange's website
> at www.sfae.com . the photos are mostly 1/50,
> signed by Bill and simply but elegantly framed.
> The prices are around $2,200 each for most of
> them, with a few costing more. The exhibit will
> be at the San Francisco Art Exchange (on Geary
> Street) through the end of July. Definitely worth
> checking out if you are in the neighborhood. Tell
> Jim at the gallery that Sarah sent you!

Sounds like a pretty impressive exhibit. Thanks for the great review!

Date: June 18, 2006 01:52

You're welcome!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 18, 2006 04:41

Damn, first I was trying to afford Ronnie's art and now I see
that Billy's photos are almost as pricey!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 18, 2006 09:56

They're nice pictures! I wonder what else he's got in his basement that we don't know about.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: June 18, 2006 11:27

Reptile Wrote:
> They're nice pictures! I wonder what else he's got
> in his basement that we don't know about.

a stash of young girls, if i'm not mistaken.

Date: June 18, 2006 11:40

nikkibong Wrote:
> Reptile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They're nice pictures! I wonder what else he's
> got
> > in his basement that we don't know about.
>
>
> a stash of young girls, if i'm not mistaken.

They were young when he stashed them their in the late '60, now they are in their early 50s. 15 years from now Wyman's heirs will be running a retirement home down there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home