Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anaheim la 1978 question...Some Girls summer tour
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 7, 2006 23:04

Talk about Leonard..the dude had the luck !!!he saw the shoes show!I have two bootlegs on lp(white albums they used to call them)I have those in my colection for 27 years now...I love them both!One is realy white and is called return to liver.Its an real nice ar recording..the shoes incident is on it in full glory!! The cover is great!!!on the end of side three...you hear Elvis doing Pork salad annie!!!I love this boot.The other one is in colours an is calling ...On..Tour..same show...but recorded in the back ofthe stadium I think?!does the stadium still exist?...on ..on tour you get the best version of Love in Vain I ever heard!!!It ends with Brown Sugar...I like it...but on the Return to liver wich doesnt habve this...heartbreaking..version ..of Love in Vain....you will get...the full vers of Brown Sugar + JJF...And what a blow out version this is!!!You hear people scream eveytime Jagger Throw s water!!And the horns play a different melody (never heard i again..after!).Jagger was not really doing a show ..almost saying nothing to the crowd in the begining of the show to the big..huge LA disney ..hippie..R&R crowd of LA...before I go on I will tell you what S on the back of this boot!!!Great crowd picture!!Here it comes:Before I tell you whats on the back of this boot..I telll you that..it was a real huge crowd and they were used ..to Jagger and Company...having a Stoned party!Than they came and saw a punk Jagger having a burn out saying almost nothing the first eight numbers...this escalated after Lies(yeah they just did this ..punk..song..and didnt care!!!)You can hear people booing..and screaming ..Jagger!!!...For two minutes long!!!Than A killer version of Miss you...and than Jagger ...begins to react to the crowd..wich is very exiting!!!what a show!Allright here is the text:Anaheim concert...Hot but Rolling Stones Fans Cool. The green turf of the outfield at Anaheim stadium shudddered under the back beat as the fans waved to an fro like wheat. It was well after tea time when Britains durable Rolling stones appeared before more than 50.000 of the faithful Sunday. The crowd didnt mind. they stood-for six hours,many of them-under a smoggy sun that seemed much stronger than even the alcoholic brews they smuggled into the stadium. the air was hot and heady with the comingled smells of sultan oil,marijuana and the sweat of shirtless men. Noneteless,police reported about 70 alcohol and drugs related.But it was a docile group-""a piece of cake""said one of the armed security men-not the sort of violent crowd the RS have a reputation for drawing.(riots were stiil there in 75,76,78..and even in 1990!).and at the Anaheim LA show there was also about 25 other misdemeanor violations among the concertgoers. Moments after one vanload of the arrested were taken away, the limousine the crowd had been waiting for rolled up,and Mick Jagger strolled out in his pre-concert civies-a black frogged jacket,white trousers,and tennis shoes-and headed backstage,where he would prepare for the first of two performances-the second one set for today. Its cool'''said Spike Turner,a 21-year old from Victorville. ''''If I haddent gotten a ticket today,Id have climbed the fence(thats the spirit!).Thats what I did at the other concerts. Turner was a veteran by comparison to some of the youngsters in braces and size 6X clothes who cheered the redoubtable Jagger. Ive never seen The Stones before,And I thought I had to,before I get to old and cant stand this anymore,vowed Terry Campbelll.24 of Leucadia(where!?)......Your just a Memory..The Rolling Stones assault on California is behind us now,but memories both goo and bad,are lingering in Los Angeles and San Francisco.In case you were either out of town or comatose during the third week of July,we lle tell youthat the stanes playedat the Anaheim stadium..and in OaklandJuly 26. Crowds were enthusiastic at both stadiums.Thought critical reaction was generally poor. Many commented on Mick Jaggers supposedly foul mood during the Anaheim show...but by the time they hit Oakland..Mick was his cheerfull old self again.pfffffffffffff Ok So we know the shoes show thre are eve two boots of it!!!But who was at the without shoes LA show??How ws this show? and are there recordings or tapes or boots of it???Anyone of this board who went to the without shoes anaheim show in 78!!!?? please react!By the by I think the Shattered version of the shoes show...is outstanding...and the Beast of Burden version is the best I ever heard!!I mean it...And HTW..is best to real slow and..real groovy...Well I just hope somewhere outthere can tell us of that non-famous first show!!!

Re: Anaheim la 1978 question...Some Girls summer tour
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 7, 2006 23:13

That's the best post I've read on IORR in a long time!
I've got the first Anaheim show....but not the 2nd.
It's on "THe Burning Out", a 2cd. But from what I've read, the show you've got is better both in soundquality, and in performance. But it's a fun listen!
I hope somebody who was there, writes about it. Maybe you'll bring back Leonard with this!

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: June 7, 2006 23:20

rooster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..the shoes incident is
> on it in full glory!! The cover is great!!!on the
> end of side three...you hear Elvis doing Pork
> salad annie!!!I love this boot.The other one is in
> colours an is calling ...

That's Polk....Salad. But they did awwwwwl right!

My girls LOVE this song. It's one of the few non-kid stuff they'll tolerate. Some Neal Young and Beach Boys too.

You can have your thread back now, Rooster. Sorry about that.

Date: June 7, 2006 23:22

I thank you Erik...do you have the shoes show or the without shoes show?????

Date: June 7, 2006 23:42

Rooster, it's the 1st show, not sure about the shoes. I can't hear them....
I'll send you a copy, mate!

Date: June 7, 2006 23:56

That will be great..Erik..The Stones did The Hague in 98...and..there was such a heavy rain!!!It was not normal!!!So all the boots...were gone!!Because ofthe rain...I was so drunk I cant tell!!!but my tapes survived the rain!!!...Its really rare...thre is only one other boot...and that one is no good!!..but Rooster Is loud during Stones shows!!If you want that show I can send it ..if you want to?Its great to listen to on a drunken Saturday night .we are abunch of drunken pirates in The Hague!!!!

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: June 8, 2006 03:23

Hey Rooster - that is the longest paragraph in the history of the world....

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 8, 2006 04:12

Well, I got a boot of the 24th before I got the one for the 23rd
and the quality is better on the 23rd. Unless there's another one
floating around. I have the same vinyl with the same sleeve notes
as mentioned above.
I was there on the 23rd (I think I posted this before), so here's my recollection:
Really hot that day (remember we were all sitting in a baseball stadium
for over 8 hours), and I don't remember them selling beer.
Opening acts were Etta JAmes, Peter Tosh (throwing joints to the audience),
and the Outlaws (?!). Rumor has it that Van Halen was supposed to open
but had to cancel.
THere was a sky diver between acts,
Stones came on late, after the sun went down over the stadium.
First year for Nady wireless guitars and Boogie amps,
Nicky Hopkins was playing keys, too,
Jagger pretending to be punk and drunk (maybe he was),
Jagger doing the water hose bit and climbing the scaffold on JJF,
Screwing up the ending to Lies, Keith forgetting some words to Happy.
Ronnie and Mick having a short conversation on mike onstage
There was a Super-Trooper spotlight on stage.

At the time, I was a little disapointed in the show,
but later on I appreciated the tour more than any other they've done.
2 Chuck Berry numbers. 8 songs in a row from a new record.
I was expecting Love You Live with a few new songs from Some Girls,
as was most of the audience. Mind you, 99% of them probably never heard
Let It Rock.
You could get away with that back then, but not now, I'm afraid.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 8, 2006 04:13

One reason you could get away with it was the tickets were $15.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 8, 2006 04:47

More memories:
I do remember Keith walking out during that great Fanfare opening
with a cig in his mouth, head down, Strat in hand, adjusted some knobs on the Boogie and ripped into Let It Rock.
Jagger at first was hard to find when he first came out
'cause he had those red pants on which matched the red floor on the stage.
I was sitting farther back.
HTW was slow with a long into. After listening to the boot, it seems
that Keith wanted to start that pre-vocal guitar lick but missed
(you can hear it on the boot) so he just kept going.
Tumbling Dice had a long intro, which I though was pretty cool.
Brown Zemaitis guitar was used on Brown Sugar only.

Posted by: carson99 ()
Date: June 8, 2006 08:42

Well, first to paraphrase an often heard quote, "if you remember the ‘78 tour, you weren't there." Jesus ... it was 28 years ago. I attended both of the Anaheim shows that year ... Two things stick in my mind: First, as we neared the stadium, we saw dozens and dozens of members of the Anaheim Police Department decked out in full riot gear including nazi-like helmets ... My buddy was searched at the door and a cop discovered a bunch of joints in his cigarette package ... With his veins sticking out of his neck, the officer pulled them out of the cigarette package and began a tirade in which he alternately threatened to arrest my friend, tear-up his Stones ticket, and/or confiscate his car ... After making my friend sweat for several minutes, he finally sent him on his way - and even gave him his cigarette pack back ... After finally making it to our seats, my friend just sort of sat there trembling and looking ashen ... eventually, he reached for a cigarette and discovered that the cop had only confiscated 4 of the 7 joints he had (a happy ending!) ... I also remember that after assorted clothing items had been thrown on the stage, Mick said "give me your shoes" - after which he was pelted with 100 or more shoes ... The bad thing about the tour was that it marked the beginning of the horrible stadium shows ... I was probably a quarter of a mile from the stage, so don't ask me if Keith was staring at the ground or if Mick was in a foul mood ...

Date: June 8, 2006 09:05

tomk Wrote:
> Well, I got a boot of the 24th before I got the
> one for the 23rd
> and the quality is better on the 23rd. Unless
> there's another one
> floating around. I have the same vinyl with the
> same sleeve notes
> as mentioned above.
> I was there on the 23rd (I think I posted this
> before), so here's my recollection:
> Really hot that day (remember we were all sitting
> in a baseball stadium
> for over 8 hours), and I don't remember them
> selling beer.
> Opening acts were Etta JAmes, Peter Tosh (throwing
> joints to the audience),
> and the Outlaws (?!). Rumor has it that Van Halen
> was supposed to open
> but had to cancel.
> THere was a sky diver between acts,
> Stones came on late, after the sun went down over
> the stadium.
> First year for Nady wireless guitars and Boogie
> amps,
> Nicky Hopkins was playing keys, too,
> Jagger pretending to be punk and drunk (maybe he
> was),
> Jagger doing the water hose bit and climbing the
> scaffold on JJF,
> Screwing up the ending to Lies, Keith forgetting
> some words to Happy.
> Ronnie and Mick having a short conversation on
> mike onstage
> There was a Super-Trooper spotlight on stage.
>
> At the time, I was a little disapointed in the
> show,
> but later on I appreciated the tour more than any
> other they've done.
> 2 Chuck Berry numbers. 8 songs in a row from a new
> record.
> I was expecting Love You Live with a few new songs
> from Some Girls,
> as was most of the audience. Mind you, 99% of them
> probably never heard
> Let It Rock.
> You could get away with that back then, but not
> now, I'm afraid.

I wanna thank you..I think you went to the ..no soes show..so its really intresting for me and some more fans on this board..to finnaly hear aboutit..now there aint no bootleg..from this..no shoes show..Am I ''right"" about this?thanks very much!

Date: June 8, 2006 09:06

bigfrankie Wrote:
> Hey Rooster - that is the longest paragraph in the
> history of the world....
>
> don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Yes ,Frankie its a long road but I had to do it!Been thinkin about it for a long time.

Date: June 8, 2006 09:14

carson99 Wrote:
> Well, first to paraphrase an often heard quote,
> "if you remember the ‘78 tour, you weren't there."
> Jesus ... it was 28 years ago. I attended
> both of the Anaheim shows that year ... Two things
> stick in my mind: First, as we neared the stadium,
> we saw dozens and dozens of members of the Anaheim
> Police Department decked out in full riot gear
> including nazi-like helmets ... My buddy was
> searched at the door and a cop discovered a bunch
> of joints in his cigarette package ... With his
> veins sticking out of his neck, the officer pulled
> them out of the cigarette package and began a
> tirade in which he alternately threatened to
> arrest my friend, tear-up his Stones ticket,
> and/or confiscate his car ... After making my
> friend sweat for several minutes, he finally sent
> him on his way - and even gave him his cigarette
> pack back ... After finally making it to our
> seats, my friend just sort of sat there trembling
> and looking ashen ... eventually, he reached for a
> cigarette and discovered that the cop had only
> confiscated 4 of the 7 joints he had (a happy
> ending!) ... I also remember that after assorted
> clothing items had been thrown on the stage, Mick
> said "give me your shoes" - after which he was
> pelted with 100 or more shoes ... The bad thing
> about the tour was that it marked the beginning of
> the horrible stadium shows ... I was probably a
> quarter of a mile from the stage, so don't ask me
> if Keith was staring at the ground or if Mick was
> in a foul mood ...

Etta James!!!Peter Tosh!!You guys was lucky!!!They opened with that clasical thing..remember?and..thre they are..Let It Rock..What a great opening!What a stunning version of Beastof Burden..cant say it enough!!You went to the shoes show ..and I thank you very much...cause I collect 1978 tour stories....I also know Linda Ronstad...went to Anaheim...And told RS magazine she coulnt see them...she is not that long!!Thanks very much for ya stories.

Date: June 8, 2006 09:16

WMiller Wrote:
> rooster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ..the shoes incident is
> > on it in full glory!! The cover is great!!!on
> the
> > end of side three...you hear Elvis doing
> Pork
> > salad annie!!!I love this boot.The other one
> is in
> > colours an is calling ...
>
>
> That's Polk....Salad. But they did awwwwwl
> right!
>
> My girls LOVE this song. It's one of the few
> non-kid stuff they'll tolerate. Some Neal Young
> and Beach Boys too.
>
> You can have your thread back now, Rooster. Sorry
> about that.

Yeah!!!Its so nice...one go listen to a Stones bootleg in the seventies...and suddenly one hears Elvis!!!!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 8, 2006 10:02

I spent the night outside the big A to get the closest possible to the stage, the police tried to prevent this from happening and put some chains but somebody trew them down and immediatly "hundreds" of people run to the gates and once there we made ourself confortable until the nexy day. While running someone's cooler full of beers opened and yes I admited, I took some for myself (I was a minor and couldn't buy any at the liquor store across the bridge at Katella Drive).

I also remeber this beautiful italian girl called Pietra (with his jealous boyfriend) and not recognising Mick at first with his red cap.

And this I would never forget, after founding a little bag of jane I trew it behind to the public (for some guy ir rained dope that day).

What a great time I had...Will listen to the Burning Out tonight.

Date: June 8, 2006 10:20

I just love this on tour fan stories...thanks!

Date: June 8, 2006 21:01

Just heard the show...and looked at some pictures(Rockman!!).For me one of the highlights are(talking bout the shoes show.cause thats the one I have)after a rocking Sweet little Sixteen...Jagger says to the crowd....oh children..poor children...well you make me feel so horney..I telll you that...that is so fuc-ing cool!

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: June 13, 2006 08:34

Thanks for the great memories posted.
It's all starting to come back to me now.
I was at the non-shoe, July 23rd show.
We got there early in the morning at Anaheim Stadium to find an already full parking lot full of stoned-out Stones fans.
I don't remember too many details of that hot sweaty day, so I guess I was there.
What does stick in my mind was how good the music sounded all day. What a great assortment of acts. (btw, did anyone see Peter Tosh at the small club, the Starwood, in West Hollywood, the night before?)
A couple of things annoyed me though. One was the cloud of red dust from the baseball pitch that hung over the infield like a fog. I think my exposed skin got tinted that day.
The other slight annoyance was the red sequined beret that Mick wore for the first few songs. It was covering his face! I was much relieved when he took it off.
The oddball thing of the day was seeing some dude masturbating toward the end of the show. I guess he needed to get his rocks off, or something. A friend of mine who was on the other side of the infield saw a similar occurance.

I'd love to hear a recording of that show.
Or maybe see some pictures.
Thanking you in advance.

Date: June 13, 2006 11:35

Thanks!!!!And hell yeah what a long nice groovy(Charlie)intro Tumbling Dice had...and everybody should hear that Love in Vain version...jagger shouting ..All!!!...All!!!my love s in vain!!Heartbreak in LA.

Date: June 13, 2006 13:37

Now I know that first show was a damm good show!!!!many thanks to Erik Snow...I coulnt believe my ears...what a wild party that show really was...its so fuc-ing nice to have both shows after all these years...let me know if my post arived..and thaaaaaannks!!!

Date: June 13, 2006 13:42

Ian Stewart..is cooking on this tape!!!Very good!!!

Date: June 13, 2006 14:00

All the fans in the highest balcony...come down I have something for you(Jagger talking to the stoned Stonesfans in LA frst show)this show is very god and full of humor to...what a difference compared to the shoes show!!!

Date: June 13, 2006 14:05

Yea Cheers rooster !

Date: June 13, 2006 14:12

Everybody should hear it...cheers tonight...Rooster cant drink now.Dylan sounds very good to!!!R&R greetings...whenever in Holland the drinks..are on me!!!!

Date: June 15, 2006 23:31

I have this book by Robert Palmer( from Rolling Stone)Great pics!!on page 236-237 you have a great photo of the LA 78 crowd(I think) maybe Rockman will post it!!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 16, 2006 02:48

I was at both shows and the second one was the shoe throwing event. These were my first two Stones shows of my life. I rememeber heading to the stadium to line up at 4 AM and playing frisbie in the parking lot at sunrise with Satisfaction blaring from the speakers that the sponsoring radio station had set up.

The first show was very rough and the headline of the LA Times the next day was Sad Day For Rock: Stones Turn to Dust. They kept people waiting about 3 hours after the last opening act and by the time the Stones showed up, they were quite drunk on stage. Lots of screw ups and waiting around while they tuned guitars, replaced guitar strings and the like. Heineken seemed to be the drink of the day. Next day they came back hard and absolutely rocked the place. I was right up front both shows and the hysteria that Jagger caused when he said "Now I want all you shoes" was something I will never forget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-16 02:49 by georgeV.

Date: June 16, 2006 04:58

If one listen to both shows..its like night and day...I never heard BOB..and Miss you in such a heartfelt way again...after that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home