Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Kinks!
Posted by: Too Rude III ()
Date: June 7, 2006 02:56

Rumor has it that Ray & Dave may have patched things up (Link below). Any Kinks fans here? I'm a recent, ahem, "Konvert" myself. Favorite songs? "Cuppa Tea", "Do You Remember Walter?", "Sitting In My Hotel". (Guess I like the wimpy stuff.) Oh yeah, and "Autumn Almanac".

What a great, great band. And what a fantastic songwriter they had in Ray.

Caught Ray Davies at Irving PLaza (NYC) this past March, incidentally, and he sounded (and looked, I might add) fantastic!

[contactmusic.com]

Re: OT: The Kinks!
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 7, 2006 03:00

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 03:00 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 7, 2006 03:31

I think a summer reunion might be a bit hasty, as Ray is still touring. Also, I'm not sure about Dave's health. In a recent interview, Ray said his brother is still taking speech therapy, and the stroke was two years ago. Dave has tried to line up dates as a solo, but then backed out, presumably due to his health. I'd like to think it will happen, because it will mean Dave is better. Dave also puts on a very nice show, BTW, when he's well.

Date: June 7, 2006 03:59

...Bubba? :-)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 7, 2006 04:05

Love the band.

Lola, Sleepwalker, YRGM (not YGMR), All The Day, and a couple I really like from Low Budget - A Little Bit Of Emotion and Attitude. Many others too.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:10

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 03:00 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 7, 2006 04:15

Beely, are you gonna try to make it to Atlanta on July 29? Love to have you join us.

Date: June 7, 2006 04:38

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 02:59 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 7, 2006 05:36

One of the most under-rated bands ever! Love them!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: June 7, 2006 06:36

The Kinks from 1965-70 were on par with any of their contemporaries. Face to Face through Muswell Hillbillies is as good a hot streak as any band ever had, including the Beggars-Exile run by our beloved.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: June 7, 2006 07:07

Ray is headlining the big 4th of July show in Chicago's Grant Park this year...crowds tend to be big as it's a free show...maybe 40,000+

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: June 7, 2006 18:22

LOVE the Kinks!. Saw Ray in Chicago on April 1st. AWESOME show. going back to see him for the 4th of July show.

One of the all-time great albums is The Kinks- Bad to the Bone! They recorded it in Konk Studios in (I think) 1996. Great versions of their classics, mixed in with live performances. It is now OOP. If you can get your hands on it it's one of the great albums of all time. (It's a double CD).

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 7, 2006 19:31

I hope this will come true. The Kinks are, in my view, the most underrated British band. Lyrics from Ray can rival with those of Bob and Bruce.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 8, 2006 08:33

I hope this happens, the Kinks are one of my favorites and I've never seen them live.

Date: June 8, 2006 12:34

I love what they did before all the 'quintessential' stuff. Things like Kink Kontroversy and the first album are the best.

Date: June 8, 2006 14:20

I always liked them. Since 1966. I bought Ray's new solo album when it was released. Now I have completed my Kinks-collection with the missing 14 albums ( : no joke ). Now I love them : ) Did see them three times, but failed to recognize for much too many years their/Ray's real genius.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: June 8, 2006 15:15

LOVE THE KINKS! KRONIKLES I play constantly, " Waterloo Sunset" is FINE! Saw Ray Davies solo in 1997 and he was incredible, the Storyteller tour. Amazing! I bought KInks records when I was in my early teens and ust heard the new Ray solo cd, not bad at all! I want to see them, or him again.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: June 8, 2006 17:56

When Pete Townshend was at the UK hall of fame awards in November he said the smart money was on a Kinks Reunion when Dave feels better. The same night the original lineup was inducted and were all present and on stage collecting the award.

Date: June 8, 2006 18:51

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-09 02:54 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 8, 2006 20:58

my no.2 after the Stones. Lost them in the early 70s. saw them in NYC--wintergarden in 78---great show.

Date: June 9, 2006 02:33

Motorway food is, indeed, the worst in the world, btw...
(Everybody's in Showbiz - very underrated album!)

So good to see this many Stones fans sharing an appreciation for Ray, Dave & co. I know some of you posters have been fans for many years, but it seems to me that the band's critical reputation has increased substantially over the past few years. Or maybe that's just my take, as I've only recently begun exploring their extensive catalogue. What a find!

Hey Beely Boy - you're OK by me! I was down in Alpharetta at a friend's wedding two years ago, got some hiking in north of Dalonega - Blood Mountain, on the AT? Pretty special part of the country. What's with those huge salamander things you guys have up there- nearly stepped on one at the base of a waterfall. Are the called Hellbenders? Thing was about a foot and a half long, thought it was a log, really freaked me out when it sprouted legs and began to shamble away. Talk about rude...

Date: June 9, 2006 09:52

If I had to make up my mind I think at least one should read the lyrics of Celluloid Heroes. And then listen to this Masterpiece.

Date: July 21, 2006 14:02

For those interested, Paris - Olympia tix 10/06 are on sale.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: July 21, 2006 17:33

..... ray just did a show last sunday at the wiltern,,, it was ok...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home