Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Smiths
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 2, 2006 22:47

I have been listening to them a lot lately. I absoloutley adore Morrisey lyrics and voice. I really enjoy his solo stuff too.

Any fans here?

Re: OT: The Smiths
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 2, 2006 22:57

I like the Smiths, though I never saw them live. I'v seen Morrissey a few times and saw Johnny Marr when he was a member of the Pretenders in 1987, just a few months after he left The Smiths, as well as with his band The Healers and as a guest with Neil Finn.

Johnny is one of the nicest musicians I've ever met. He is very accomodating towards his fans. I still remember his surprise when I had him sign the one Pretenders single he appeared on. When he returned to town a couple months later, as a show of my appreciation, I gave him an extra copy of a single I had that came with NME that featured an exclusive Smiths live song.

Morrisseys albums have been a bit of hit and miss but I think his new album is pretty strong. I'm looking forward to seeing his this fall when he reportedly will be playing in the US.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: June 2, 2006 23:01

The Queen is dead is a masterpiece.I love that record a lot and have been listening to it a lot lately.

Amazing guitar work,lyrics and beautiful voice of one and only Morrissey.

Morrissey will have a show in my country in about a month but I will probably miss it.I might regret that a lot later.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 3, 2006 00:34

One of my favroite bands of all time. I wish I could have seen them live but alos it was not to be. I did see Marr with the Pretenders, The The, and The Healers though and have seen Morrisey 3 times.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 3, 2006 01:18

I don't yet own Morrissey’s most recent album and was also disciple to his 2004 album We Are The Quarry. I have the later 2-disc version with all the singles b-sides.

I just love The Smiths full stop. I'm glad some here appreciates Johnny Marr. A lot of his guitar work is truly exceptional, yet I think he's overlooked as it's so understated.

Date: June 3, 2006 03:09

"Meat is murder".....although I´m not a vegetarian I like this song very much.

The Smiths did contribute a lot to the "music scene" of the time they were around - still I don´t have Morrisey`s latest albums, and I´m not really a fan of his voice - but nevertheless I think he´s a genius of art.

I think this is not very Stones related and not many "so called Stones Fans" might like the Smiths.....the only thing that relates to the Stones is Johnny Marr who obviously liked the Stones..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-03 05:23 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: June 3, 2006 03:25

Johnny Marr-the Keith Richards of 80's.

'Nuff said

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 3, 2006 06:53

stones_serb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Johnny Marr-the Keith Richards of 80's.
>
> 'Nuff said

So, do we close the thread now?

Posted by: db44 ()
Date: June 3, 2006 12:47

One of the best bands ever. Most of their songs are so beautiful. Marr and Morrissey, the Glimmer Twins of rhythm and lyrics. Listen to all their albums but start with the compilation album Singles. You will be laughing, crying, screaming, dancing and love the feeling that there´s real (music) life after the golden Stones Age ('64-'74).

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: June 3, 2006 13:43

Pretty good, although IMHO not the really great band most people seem to think - didn't the NME rate them as most influentual band ever? Saw them in 1984 but can't really remember the gig, so obviously didn't make much of an impression. Only really know I saw them because I keep all my gig tickets!

Lee

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 3, 2006 13:44

One of the best bands of all time.

I've caught Morrissey on several occasions through his last couple of tours and he is equally as brilliant.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 3, 2006 13:48

Loved them since 84. Most of Morrisseys solo stuff is great too. Song titles like 'Seasick yet still docked' and 'Girl drowning lifeguard sleeping'.

Saw Moz in 99 during his wilderness years and spookily came home one night to a house with every one in bed and I had 15 stitches in my head (Late Night Maudlin Street).

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: June 3, 2006 14:13

Best band that didnt begin in the Sixties
Best and most prolific songwriter currently active
Best rhythmn guitar player ever in rock,after Keith

I saw them 3 times in the early days, actually the Smiths always remind me of the World Cup. I went with a few friends to a free outdoor gig on the South Bank, the Smiths came on at the same time as Brazil v England was on TV, all my friends went to watch the game. I watched the Smiths alone.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: June 3, 2006 15:05

listen to the opening of mona and the opening of how soon is now...sounds like someone likes the stones....

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 7, 2006 13:55

Bo Diddley surely?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 7, 2006 14:05

some of their stuff i love,
and some of their stuff i'm ambivalent about.
"How Soon Is Now?" and "There Is A Light..", are works of genius, and Marr is a guitar-supremo, bu talot of their stuff leave me shrugging my shoulders.

As for Morrisey's solo stuff- not for me... "Everyday Is Like Sunday", is a beautiful record and at the time it was released in 1988, had a special resonnance for me, and i respect his integrity(although ,largely disagree, with his politics and his agendas).

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: June 7, 2006 14:10

one of the most overrated bands of all time, IMO.
Morissey has no range, rhythem section has no swing, IMO.
One of those bands that was huge in UK/EU, but relatively small in US.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 7, 2006 15:56

UGot2Rollme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Morissey has no range, rhythem section has no
> swing, IMO.

He was one of the best acts I saw at the Pinkpop Festival (Landgraaf, Holland) last weekend!

Posted by: ROUL ()
Date: June 7, 2006 18:58

they are great!
keth richards didnt like morrissey sad smiley
morrissey like him and said ''its not a problem for me neither for keith''

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2226
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home