Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

this is insane
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: June 2, 2006 04:26

LONDON -- "Definitely Maybe," the debut album by Oasis, has beaten the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in a British vote for the greatest album of all time, organizers said Thursday.

The Beatles also took third place with "Revolver" and had three other albums in the Top 100 in the vote staged by British Hit Singles & Albums, an annual publication, and NME.com.

The vote was announced in last year's edition of British Hit Singles & Albums, said editor David Roberts. Anyone could vote for as many as 10 albums, in rank order, and probably 95 percent of the 40,000 votes came from Britain, he said.

The biggest surprise, in Roberts' view, was The Libertines' debut album, "Up the Bracket," at No. 15 — a strong showing he attributed to singer Pete Doherty's well-publicized involvement with supermodel Kate Moss and his arrests for alleged drug use.

Other albums on the list include U2's "The Joshua Tree" (No. 11), Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (No. 35), the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street," (No. 42), The White Stripes' "Elephant" (No. 59), Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" (No. 84) and the Eagles' "Hotel California" (No. 100).

The top 10:

1. "Definitely Maybe," Oasis.

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles.

3. "Revolver," The Beatles.

4. "OK Computer," Radiohead.

5. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis.

6. "Nevermind," Nirvana.

7. "The Stone Roses," The Stone Roses.

8. "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd.

9. "The Queen Is Dead," The Smiths.

10. "The Bends," Radiohead.

not a single stones album in the top ten ten.

what gives ?

let's make our own top ten albums of all time and see what happens ........

Re: this is insane
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 2, 2006 04:39

Only obnoxious brats bother do take a part of such a vote...that's probably the reason for the results.

Posted by: Brad F ()
Date: June 2, 2006 04:44

I've always had the feeling that because the Stones have so many greatest hits albums, the casual Stones fan has no idea which songs are on which studio album.

Because of this, I think that the casual fan that likes "Gimme Shelter" and "You Can't Always Get What you Want" has no idea that they are on the same album. Not to mention the fact that that album's title track, "Let it Bleed" is unknown to non-Stones fans. Imagine if the album had been named "Gimme Shelter". That could have made it more reccognizable to casual fans.

What surprises me about this list is that I've seen new U2, Coldplay, Radiohead and Oasis albums written about in British music magazines that seriously pose the question: "Is this the greatest album ever?" The obvious answer is a resounding and dismissive "NO", but apparently many of the people that read those articles take them seriously and believe that these truly are some of the greates albums ever. Amazing.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 2, 2006 10:27

Immature and unaware-of-rock-history-revealing list.
I pity the youngsters.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 2, 2006 10:33

out of my head Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> not a single stones album in the top ten ten.

Who cares? Those lists are useless anyway.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: June 2, 2006 10:33

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Immature and unaware-of-rock-history-revealing
> list.
> I pity the youngsters.

There is a bright side to all this: if (IF) you want to know anything about Robbie Williams, these youngsters will provide you with all the details. Thinking of that: at least we know for sure that RW is bi-sexual...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 2, 2006 10:37

Thank God.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 2, 2006 11:03

So why not Ronan Keating at numember one?????

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 2, 2006 11:33

Hi!

Do people have different taste - even when it comes to music?

The answer is definitely YES.

Then the inner peace appears...

Bjorn

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 2, 2006 11:39

who cares what a poll says ? if someone prefers Oasis to the Stones then surely thats their opinion

there isn't a right or wrong one when it comes to music. you like what YOU like

except in the case of the RHCP's. they're just plain old shit

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: June 2, 2006 11:46

I don´t care about these lists anymore. Music cannot be rated and many people seem to be ignorant. WE love the Stones, and that is all that matters. Too bad for those who don´t! ;-)

Speaking of Robbie in this thread, I am a great fan and will see him in Göteborg July 2 - looking so much forward to that! So what if he is bi? It has nothing to do with anything.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 2, 2006 11:50

andy js Wrote:
you like what YOU like-
except in the case of the RHCP's. they're just plain old shit

you're wrong- RHCP are fresh,steaming, Diarrhea.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: June 2, 2006 11:58

LQ1977 Wrote:
> I don´t care about these lists anymore. Music
> cannot be rated and many people seem to be
> ignorant. WE love the Stones, and that is all that
> matters. Too bad for those who don´t! ;-)
>
> Speaking of Robbie in this thread, I am a great
> fan and will see him in Göteborg July 2 - looking
> so much forward to that! So what if he is bi? It
> has nothing to do with anything.

Don't get me wrong, I think Robbie Williams is the greatest performer of his generation. No doubt about that. Beside his performance he has prooved that he can sing anything, any genre. I take my girlfriend to the Stones in Paris, we both want to go and see them in Amsterdam, and she takes me to Robbie, june 14th in Brussels. The bi-thing was just a reference to the Mick-is-gay thread.

Jelle

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 2, 2006 12:05

sluissie Wrote:
I think Robbie Williams is the
greatest performer of his generation.

i'd love to disagree with you, and to throw some names into the ring,
to challenge your claim..but i can't come up with anyone who fits the criteria.

I dislike his music intensly, (and his musical output has certainly deteriorated, since his widely publicised split with Guy Chambers)
but the way he whips his audience into a frenzy, is akin to Freddie Mercury, and dare i say it, Mick Jagger.
He's a very skillful showman- there is no stage too big for him.
And please believe me, when i say, it sticks in the throat, to come to this conclussion.

Posted by: beast of burden ()
Date: June 2, 2006 14:23

People who participate in these polls generally lack any real depth of musical knowledge.

The list is dominated by albums from the past 5 years and lacks any real diversity.

We have 'Hot Fuss' by the Killers at No.20 whilst my personal favourite album of all time and surely one of the greatest concept albums ever, Marvin Gaye's 'Whats Going On' comes in at No.57.

I echo Baboon Bro's statement: "Immature and unaware-of-rock-history-revealing list. I pity the youngsters".

That hits the nail on the head.

I myself am only 23 but the Killers & the Strokes in the top 30? What a joke!!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 2, 2006 14:42

Disgusting list........

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 2, 2006 14:52

Where's The Darkness? Thought they'd make it with all this other crap (excepting Beatles) on this list. Oasis = Okay pop, that's all. Dark Side - overrated, good only while high. Nirvana sux. 2 by Radiohead? Gimme a break! No Gimme Shelter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home