Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

First TV appearance with MT
Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: June 2, 2006 03:08

I belive this is from the David Frost show, taped 6/16/69 and aired 7/7/69.

Neither Keef or MT are making anything close to an attempt to play the leads. It pretty goofy looking but isn't this teh only example of MT playing with the STones while Brain was alive?????

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Re: First TV appearance with MT
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 2, 2006 03:19

yes it is...they played HTW and YCAGWYW

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 2, 2006 07:19

Surely Granada's "Stones In The Park" precedes this? Maybe not in airing date (but certainly in filming).

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 2, 2006 09:32

>> Surely Granada's "Stones In The Park" precedes this? <<

eek - the Hyde Park gig was july 5th. this Frost show was taped on june 16th.

now ... i've just studied StikkyFingers's instructions for downloading youtube videos (thank you!)
but the youtube site appears to be having technical difficulty. did anyone happen to download this clip,
and if so would you be ready willing able & big enough to share it (via yousendit, for example)?
thanks & thanks & thanks ...

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-02 09:59 by with sssoul.

Date: June 2, 2006 09:56

OH it's US dating -- I read it as the 6th day of the 16th month. My bad!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 2, 2006 14:33

you read it as the 16th month?

...........hmmm

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: June 2, 2006 14:37

ohhh i like that mick broken voice!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: June 2, 2006 15:07

Taped on the 16-06? Busy day, if I remember correctly this is also the day they went up to Brian's house to tell him he's out of the band. Maybe that's why Mick is looking like a little boy lost in kindergarden.

Date: June 3, 2006 10:37

>> if I remember correctly <<

smile: don't worry, you don't remember correctly.
it was june 7th or 8th that they had that talk with Brian.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 3, 2006 11:09

Maybe it was not the first, but I clearly remember MT appearance with The Stones
during five consecutive weeks at #1 position in the Top of The Pops weekly TV chart in 69 with HTW. That was a great video. Never seen it since, but I clearly remember every second of those 3 + minutes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 3, 2006 11:31

Whoa yeah..!!! Cool to see and what about Keith....I mean how long is the kid's hair..!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: June 3, 2006 17:58

Hmmm. If it was aired on July 7, then the first TV appearance with Mick Taylor would have been July 4, Top of the Pops where they also did Honkey Tonk Women, although a much better version. It sounds like a studio version, which has a repeat guitar solo on end that fades out. Then the did the same song on Top of the Pops again on December 12, 1969. Am I incorrect?

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Date: June 3, 2006 19:36

i can't stop watching this video - thanks so much for posting it!
Keith's lifelong penchant for playing acoustic standing up with no strap
charms me every time, even when he's not really playing it. :E

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-03 19:48 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: June 3, 2006 19:57

Downloading from YouTube:
Try Mozilla Firefox with Videodownloader plugin. It's really simple.
Search with google to find the programs.

Here's the file in mpg:
[www.yousendit.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-03 19:57 by Tekumseh.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: June 4, 2006 04:06

The 1st live performance with Mick Taylor of ' Honkey Tonk Women' was at 'Hyde Park' 5/7/1969.
Free copies were given to fans who helped clear up the mess left behind by over 300,000 people.
Withssoul's knowledge and history of the 'Stones' is as usual immucalate.
If i remember correctly HTW debuted at No 20 then No 9 then No3 before reaching No1 for 5 weeks which was slow & surprising for a such a catchy song that all the young girls danced to in a flash together without the guy's having to ask them to dance.

Interesting to read 'Keiths' interpertration of events -

Songfacts: You can leave comments about the song at the bottom of the page.
This is about a prostitute. Like many Stones songs, it has highly suggestive lyrics, but they are just subtle enough to keep it from getting banned by radio stations.
The Stones started recording this as a Country song based on Hank Williams' "Honky Tonk Blues." They made it into a rocker for release as a single and released the country version, "Country Tonk," a few months later on Let It Bleed.
Keith Richards: "Honky Tonk Women" started in Brazil. Mick and I, Marianne Faithfull and Anita Pallenberg who was pregnant with my son at the time. Which didn't stop us going off to the Mato Grasso and living on this ranch. It's all cowboys. It's all horses and spurs. And Mick and I were sitting on the porch of this ranch house and I started to play, basically fooling around with an old Hank Williams idea. 'Cause we really thought we were like real cowboys. Honky tonk women. And we were sitting in the middle of nowhere with all these horses, in a place where if you flush the john all these black frogs would fly out. It was great. The chicks loved it. Anyway, it started out a real country honk put on, a hokey thing. And then couple of months later we were writing songs and recording. And somehow by some metamorphosis it suddenly went into this little swampy, black thing, a Blues thing. Really, I can't give you a credible reason of how it turned around from that to that. Except there's not really a lot of difference between white Country music and black Country music. It's just a matter of nuance and style. I think it has to do with the fact that we were playing a lot around with open tunings at the time. So we were trying songs out just to see if they could be played in open tuning. And that one just sunk in." (thanks, bertrand - Paris, France)
Lead guitarist Brian Jones was a founding member of the group and was considered their leader in their early years. Unfortunately, drug abuse made him pretty much worthless, and when The Stones finished recording this on June 8, 1969, they drove to his house and fired him. This was released July 3, 1969, the same day Jones was found dead in his swimming pool.
Mick Taylor had taken over for Brian Jones on lead guitar, and this was his first appearance on a Stones recording. Taylor claims he came up with the famous guitar riff, even though Richards plays it.
The distinctive cowbell used to open the song was played by producer Jimmy Miller.
The single was given away to all the fans who helped clean up after The Stones free concert in Hyde Park on July 5, 1969. This was the first concert Mick Taylor played with the band. A life-size cutout of Brian Jones, who died 3 days earlier, was kept on stage and the show was dedicated to him.
The Stones played this at most of their live shows, usually with great theatrics. The Steel Wheels tour in 1989 featured giant inflatable women during the performance.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 4, 2006 04:11

What is your source, stones40? Time is on our side?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 4, 2006 04:40

Stones with a Honky woman

ROCKMAN

Date: June 4, 2006 10:41

smile: that sweet photo's by Ethan Russell, right?

- Keith

Date: June 4, 2006 11:00

Anyone know who the woman was, or where it was taken? I like the characterizations (e.g., Keith the gangster, Bill the cop).

Date: June 4, 2006 11:41

>> Anyone know who the woman was, or where it was taken? <<

Bill's book says the location was "a strip club called GiGi" -
the chick remains anonymous, though.

- Keith

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 4, 2006 12:27

Those girls are actually not anonymous. somewhere in my books I read a very detayled account of that photo session. I think it was by Taylor, or Wyman. Very funny. They metnion the girls names, how they came to find them etc.
The video IMO is excellent. Jagger is cool dancing. Keith playing that guitar w/o strap. It's good to see them like a regular band on TV standing there playing a song. YCAGWYW, while of course the long version is the ultimate, works very well with the shortened arrangment.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: June 4, 2006 12:32

>> Those girls are actually not anonymous. <<

smile: you're right, i'm sure she actually had a name.
what i meant is that her name is not mentioned in Bill's book as far as i can see.
sorry for expressing myself confusingly as usual. :E

- Keith

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: June 5, 2006 05:40

Rock Drummers Mount Everest

Posted by: coldturkey ()
Date: June 7, 2006 18:56

> The single was given away to all the fans who
> helped clean up after The Stones free concert in
> Hyde Park on July 5, 1969. This was the first
> concert Mick Taylor played with the band. A
> life-size cutout of Brian Jones, who died 3 days
> earlier, was kept on stage and the show was
> dedicated to him.
> The Stones played this at most of their live
> shows, usually with great theatrics. The Steel
> Wheels tour in 1989 featured giant inflatable
> women during the performance.

I was lucky enough to get one of these copies - sadly i don't remember them after any feature that differed from the official release, otherwise might be worth a few bob more - other memories from that day - bought the Evening Standard Rolling Stones Special - got close to the green security truck round the back where they tuned up - got back round close to the front and the heat was terrible, lots of people fainting - fantastic - i remember some old girl about 70 dancing and shouting out "go on Micky' I wore bleached jeans and doc martins with a t shirt, I was 15
david

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home